Ranchers.net Bull Session

Log in Register Ranchers.net Ranchers.net's Bull Session Forum Index FAQ Memberlist Search

Distemper in cattle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ranchers.net's Bull Session Forum Index -> Ranch Talk
Whitetop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Distemper in cattle? Reply with quote

Can cattle get distemper and if so can they get it by having a coon that died from distemper ground in their feed? I've found several dead coons around the place since fall, thought they died from distemper. Tub ground some hay yesterday and tonight I found part of a ground up coon tail in the bunks. Don't know if I ground up the whole coon or not but I found a dead one by one of the bale stacks last week, Thanks.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distemper in cattle? Reply with quote

Whitetop wrote:
Can cattle get distemper and if so can they get it by having a coon that died from distemper ground in their feed? I've found several dead coons around the place since fall, thought they died from distemper. Tub ground some hay yesterday and tonight I found part of a ground up coon tail in the bunks. Don't know if I ground up the whole coon or not but I found a dead one by one of the bale stacks last week, Thanks.

I think it's called Rinderpest in cattle? Go to the "Merck Vet Manual".

Anyway, I think it's a virus.

I be worried more about botulism. I read where a cattleman baled some cats in the hay and ground it. I think about 400 cows died.

Turkey Track Bar
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distemper likely would not transfer from coons to cattle, especially in the form you mention (grinding a coon.)

While rinderpest and distemper are closely related THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!! If you have rinderpest, you have a pile of problems on your hands!!! It is in the same catagory of diseases as Foot & Mouth Disease! It'll make the TB issue in MN look like a cake walk.

I would be more worried about Lepto from the urine/feces of the coons. Another disease to watch with coons and skunks is rabies!

Hope this helps...

Cheers---

TTB Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ranchers.net's Bull Session Forum Index -> Ranch Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1