Ranchers.net Bull Session

Log in Register Ranchers.net Ranchers.net's Bull Session Forum Index FAQ Memberlist Search

Terminal bulls. What breed, what bull?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ranchers.net's Bull Session Forum Index -> Ranch Talk
mytfarms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Terminal bulls. What breed, what bull? Reply with quote

I am looking to breed a couple of terminal crosses next year. I wanted to know what breeds work best on Angus and Angus X maternal cows. I want to stay away from the Maines. Also, if you have any bulls in mind, that would help too.
Thanks,
Cade

Big Swede
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out LT Bluegrass if you're interested in Charolais. Not too much frame but loads of meat and decent birth weight EPD's. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but if I do that would be my choice.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern ranchers Lad bull in the genex stud thats as terminal as I would get Hereford on black cows great steers and replacement quality heifers.I would'nt get to worried about terminal crosses if you still raiseing replacement heifers.Quite a few straight angus herds here with over 600# average weaning weights what more could you want.

mytfarms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Denny, any high growth Angus with a "showy" look that you would recommend?

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do ya want to stay away from Maines? We have a couple 5/8 angus 3/8 maine bulls from Yardley Cattle Company that throw awesome calves. Thick, fleshy, showy calves with great rear quarters and long backs.

mytfarms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like what some Maines carry in terms of PHA and TH. They're some fine terminal cattle, I'll agree, but I really don't want to go down that Maine path.

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are ya looking for show cattle as the result of your crosses?

John SD
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Denny. Put a good Hereford bull on those black cows first, then breed those baldy replacements to a terminal cross.

As far as a terminal bull, I've never used one myself. If'n I did I might be inclined to go with Gelvieh, Limousin, or Charolais. I list those breeds in no particular order.

mytfarms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leanin' H wrote:
Are ya looking for show cattle as the result of your crosses?

Well, there's my problem. Yes, and I know a clean Maine would do the job. Sad Strange case ain't I? I do, however, like some Maine bulls. Can you recommend some?

mytfarms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John SD wrote:
I agree with Denny. Put a good Hereford bull on those black cows first, then breed those baldy replacements to a terminal cross.

As far as a terminal bull, I've never used one myself. If'n I did I might be inclined to go with Gelvieh, Limousin, or Charolais. I list those breeds in no particular order.

I may do just that. I only have one baldie right now. I might look to make more.

Shane M. Moe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Terminal Reply with quote

Terminal cross has always sounded scary to me. BIG DEAD CALVES. I agree with the folks saying hereford. Black Baldies are hard to beat and easy to market. Might try Shorthorn, and produce blue roans, just not a TERMINAL sire.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your cows maternal, the steers will look after themselves. There a 1000's of "show cattle" that aren't very "showy" in the real world.
If you want a show calf, go buy one.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ranchers.net's Bull Session Forum Index -> Ranch Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2