Ranchers.net Bull Session

sorry, but i gotta vent!!

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
the chief

Thanks oldtimer for the info

Postby the chief » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:47 am

Some kids are 40 miles from the bus route and 60 miles from the school

So how young can a child be in your state to allow them to drive 40 miles in a car to get to the bus?

I know of the sacrifices parents make to give their children a proper education, but I can't help but think that a 13-14 year old driving a car 40 miles could lead to a much bigger sacrifice.

Maybe I'd feel different if I were in your shoes.

Have a great day.
austin

Steve
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:43 pm

Growing up in South Dakota I had a farm permit at twelve, (two week course) learners dusk to dawn at 14, and regular permit at 16, Was driving tractors and farm trucks before that, and could handle a semi fairly well some where in there. it was'nt a luxury it was a needed part of life. "(must not have had child labor laws when I was a kid)" :lol: :lol:

it is something that not only gives a person responsibility young but helps them learn under controlled supervision.

Where I now live the kids get to drive at 17 and a bit, depending on how they fit into the process and are soon 18 with little experiance, and no supervision. not a good formula. just about every parent I know is worried about thier child (young adult),

but to delay the learning process only puts inexperienced young adults in control of not only themselves but cars. And in less 18 year olds are differant in your state, I know of few 18 year olds. that will back down when you tell them they can't, when they want to..... but a 15 year old knows they have three years to listen to our lectures.......
"Obama: If They Bring a tank to the Fight, I'll Bring a teleprompter."

Australian Cattleman

Postby Australian Cattleman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:37 pm

What is the yearly number of road deaths in the US or Canada?
Here in our state last year 550 persons died a fifty year low. We used to be up near the 1100 mark in the eighties. Our countrys total would be about 1800 to 2,000 per year. We have 20 million population.Our roads are getting better.
I read somewhere recently that there are 36,000 deaths are year in South Africa.
Zero deaths would be great. Mechanical faults, natural disaster events or a health incident (black out heart attack etc) should be the only cause of accidents if everyone took care.
Driver reviver stops at holiday times have been a big help to ease fatigue related accidents.
Colin

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:58 pm

Aussie Man.....i took a TNCC course last year and the number one cause of deaths in teenagers in the US was MVC's....very, unfortunate!!! so, help me out....what are the "driver revivers" you spoke of??? maybe they could be of help here in the states!!! Too often, fatigue sets in (as you know, especially in rural areas where the road stretches on forever before you reach your destination) and there is no relief! always welcoming suggestions that could save a life.....

Australian Cattleman

Postby Australian Cattleman » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:34 pm

"Driver reviver" stops are established in key positions along usually main highways,at the junction of highways etc. They are "Free" for the travelling public to stop and have a cup of tea or coffee and some biscuits. They are run usually by Rotary,Apex or State Emergency groups whoever wants to,or sometimes they all get together.
These stops are usually about every two hours apart as this is the duration that our motor vehicle organizations advise that we change drivers or have a break.
These stops are in operation at holiday times,long weekends etc.
They operate day and night but some of the smaller stops only open at night.
They allow travellers to learn some things about each area as they travel through.
Any other questions just give me a coo ee!

Colin

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:08 am

It's hard to do, but make the kids live up to what they put themselves into. In other words, tough love. Easy to say, hard to do. No second chances no nothing. They get to pay for the damages, if the auto is totalled, they pay it off and get a new one on their own. DON'T co-sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Return to “Coffee Shop”