Ranchers.net Bull Session

Silver

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
the real jake

Silver

Postby the real jake » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:08 pm

Hey Silver, I read somewhere on here that you thought you were the furthest north on this chat site. You said you were from BC, and I was wondering if you could tell us what happened to Rich Hobson, and Panhandle Phillips from the book trilogy that Rich wrote? Maybe someone would know, and I am sure they have been dead quite a while or are pretty old men by now. He kind of left a reader hanging when he ended his last book. Did the Frontier Cattle Company continue in any way?

I was amazed when he said they had a pretty good winter one year as it only got to -50F one time. We are a long way north in the US, but I remember a few years ago, we never got below zero F. that winter. That is not common here, but it did happen once anyway. Thanks.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:57 pm

We would be interested in the answer to those questions as well. Those were my husband's all-time favorite books. Especially Grass Beyond the Mountains.

Several years ago I came home and he was sitting in his chair with his down coat on, reading that book. Made him cold just to read it!!!

He says it used to be what those guys were through was so exciting to him. Now, older as wiser, he says with a chuckle, "they weren't real good managers."

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon May 09, 2005 6:38 pm

I'm sorry, some how I managed to miss this thread. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but these books sound interesting. Could you tell me a little a little more about these books? (Titles, author, etc.)

As far as the cold goes, I did see it at -60F this winter, and last winter we a couple of days at -63F. Cold enough. :)

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Tue May 10, 2005 8:10 am

Just read "Rancher Takes a Wife", the book that follows "Grass Beyond the Mountains", by Richmond P. Hobson, Jr. great reading!!! Now I've seen the pics of your stomping grounds, Silver, I surely can believe some of those winters!!! My, the woman (Gloria) who married the rancher was an awfully good sport! Another book written by him was "Nothing Too Good For A Cowboy". He died in 1966, (age 59) has a daughter named Cathy. Living the hard life he did, no wonder he died at an early age!!

He was on the Nechako and Blackwater rivers, wherever that is from you. Hope this helps!
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue May 10, 2005 9:10 am

Thankyou for the help! I appreciate it. I have heard of the book "Rancher Takes a Wife" before, but didn't realize that it was almost local. That area is quite a ways south and west of me, about 5 hrs or so by truck. Beautiful area.
So now my mission is to track down the books, I think maybe some of the neighbours have copies.

SASH

Postby SASH » Tue May 10, 2005 11:13 am

They actually had a show on TV for a couple of years based on these books.Occasionally they are shown as reruns.

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.tv.cbc.ca/cowboy/front.html
"Red meat is NOT bad for you. Now, blue-green meat - THAT'S bad for you!"

the real jake

Postby the real jake » Tue May 10, 2005 8:05 pm

Holy smokes Silver. You are way up north. Can you see Santa's workshop from there? :lol: Another area he mentioned quite a bit was Anahim Lake. He was north of that I believe. I have looked on a BC map for locations he mentioned, and cannot believe the country they covered horseback. Amazing. I would sure like to find out what became of Hobson and Phillips after the books ended.

As Panhandle would say, "nothing to it, everything is easy!"

Tom S

Postby Tom S » Wed May 11, 2005 6:42 pm

At or near the end of the third book it sounded like Panhandle and his family were staying on ranching the home ranch. It sure would be interesting to find out if they stayed ranching and if the family kept it going. Quite interesting all those griz on the porch when Pan and his wife arrived back on the ranch. And my wife complains if she sees a mouse around the house. :)
"The Prohibitionists say that drinking beer is bad for you but the Bible says that Noah made wine and drank it and he only lived to be 950 years. Show me an abstainer who ever lived that long." Will Rogers

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Wed May 11, 2005 7:07 pm

If I remember right Pan had more close calls with cow moose than anything-I remember reading about one chasing him across a big meadow. When the ears go back and the hair comes up on those old girls watch out.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed May 11, 2005 10:58 pm

Northern Rancher wrote:If I remember right Pan had more close calls with cow moose than anything-I remember reading about one chasing him across a big meadow. When the ears go back and the hair comes up on those old girls watch out.

I have to agree with you there. Nothing worse than a moose with attitude. I would sooner deal with the bears any day. Seems like every winter, on towards spring, I get the run put on me by a moose. I don't know what it is about that time of year, but that's when they do it. (or if they have a brand new calf, but when they do that they're not in the hay pile so it's not such an issue)

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:04 am

Silver wrote:Thankyou for the help! I appreciate it. I have heard of the book "Rancher Takes a Wife" before, but didn't realize that it was almost local. That area is quite a ways south and west of me, about 5 hrs or so by truck. Beautiful area.
So now my mission is to track down the books, I think maybe some of the neighbours have copies.

Siver,

I finished all three books, did you get a chance to track them down and read them? Now I really know the word Cowboy Up!

Excellent reading, sometimes laugh out loud, sometimes the eyes about pop out!
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.

I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'

-Ronald Reagan

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:48 am

I'm sure I have mentioned it before here, but my husband says those are the best books he has ever read. We own 'em all and he loans them to anyone he thinks would like 'em. We actually are on our second set; the first ones are pretty dog-eared. I bought the first ones at a book store in Ananconda. My hubby had read them in school and always mentioned what good books they were. My eyes about popped out when I ran across them at that bookstore. They were out of print in the US and were bootlegged in from Canada...

If you haven't read them, they need to be a MUST on your book list.

Return to “Coffee Shop”