Ranchers.net Bull Session

Silver

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
DJL

Postby DJL » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:02 pm

A google search brings up this website, which is located in Panhandle Phillips area. Shows what I assume to be the old ranch house of the Home Ranch.
http://www.rainbowadventuresbc.com/Adventures.html
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:25 pm

Faster horses wrote:I'm sure I have mentioned it before here, but my husband says those are the best books he has ever read. We own 'em all and he loans them to anyone he thinks would like 'em. We actually are on our second set; the first ones are pretty dog-eared. I bought the first ones at a book store in Ananconda. My hubby had read them in school and always mentioned what good books they were. My eyes about popped out when I ran across them at that bookstore. They were out of print in the US and were bootlegged in from Canada...

If you haven't read them, they need to be a MUST on your book list.

Yup, you had mentioned it before and you were absolutely right! Can still get new paperbacks ordered from Barnes & Noble, spouse ordered the first two for his dad for father's day.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:26 pm

DJL wrote:A google search brings up this website, which is located in Panhandle Phillips area. Shows what I assume to be the old ranch house of the Home Ranch.
http://www.rainbowadventuresbc.com/Adventures.html

WOW!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Some very tough looking country-but so beautiful!
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.

I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'

-Ronald Reagan

DJL

Postby DJL » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:51 pm

This is another search result. I have no idea if it is accurate, or merely a sales tactic.

http://sheldows.com/smincweb/pan_philli ... 20page.htm
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)

Murgen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Murgen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:07 pm

Hey Silver, what would a place like that sell for, in your neck of the woods? Gotta get me one of those!
"The people who get on in this world are the people who get up & look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them." Bernard Shaw

DJL

Postby DJL » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:35 pm

As to what happened to Rich Hobson, Google says:

1907-1966

Rich Hobson Passes On

"Rich" Hobson died suddenly at his River Ranch 50 miles south of Vanderhoof on Monday August the 8th from a coronary attack.

He is survived by his wife Gloria, a daughter, Cathy; his mother, Mrs. Grizelda Hobson; a brother, George of Virginia and a sister, Lucia Stokes of Lennox, Massachuttes.

Richmond P. Hobson Jr. , was born in Washington, D. C. , son of Rear Admiral Richmond P. Hobson of Spanish-American War fame.

His colorful character developed early.

"I learned to ride horseback, shoot a rifle and steal watermelons in Alabama,” Rich has been quoted as saying, "I played hookey in California, sneaking off into the mountains where I worked with pack outfits, survey crews, and construction gangs."

In an effort to make enough money to buy a cattle ranch, Rich Hobson, Jr. worked as a broker, insurance salesman, oilfield roughneck, and sparring partner for a bunch of fighters. Then his savings disappeared in the stock market and he decided that if he couldn't own a ranch, he would at least work on one. With that in mind he went to Wyoming, and before long he was headed for British Columbia and a new frontier.

"It took me thirteen years punching cows and breaking horses, several cracked bones, my feet frozen twice, a lot of bruises and scars, and a marriage, before I finally achieved my objective, a ranch of my own.

Rich, along with his wife, Gloria developed and sold Rim Rock Ranch south of Vanderhoof and they have been developing River Ranch in a nearby locality since that time.

The name Richmond Hobson is known across the continent and around the world. It meant many different things to different people.

Far and wide Rich had fans who valued him for giving them literary works that caught their fancy, gave them hopes and aspirations, and in some cases molded their destinies. He had personal friends in all walks of life of many creeds and colors.

Rich, in Vanderhoof was an attraction to tourists, as was his writing attractive to settlers.

The annual Frontier Jamboree began as a tribute to his first book "Grass Beyond the Mountains. "

The two other publications that Rich wrote were "Nothing Too Good For A Cowboy" and "The Rancher Takes a Wife."

Rich was a charter member of the Rotary Club in Vanderhoof.

RafterJD

Postby RafterJD » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Just seen this thread, I had the privlage of knowing Pan somewhat. Pan passed in '83, I attended his funeral in Quesnel all the "Jackpine Royalty" were there. He was the definition of tough old SOB a real cowboy and pioneer pretty much in life as he was described in the books. As for books, Pan's daughter wrote one of which the name escapes me it's a good read, and there's another which I have not read "The Legend of Panhandle Phillips.
There's no shame in pullin' leather when you're buckin' in prickly pear

pups and bucks

Postby pups and bucks » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Pan's Daughter..Diana Phillips wrote the book Beyond the Chilcotin...........I'm reading it right now.........good read......those folks were tougher than woodpecker lips!! :lol: :lol:
If it has tits or tires,it's going to give you trouble...........

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:15 pm

After stopping in and spending the night with gcreekrch and Debbie, we
have a whole new respect for the books about the Chilicoton and have bought several. It was exciting to be in that country, after having read
Rich Hobson's books for years. We had wonderful hosts and hopefully
made some lifetime friends.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:25 am

Hey I know a good ranch for sale in that very area. more or less. :D

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Hey I know a good ranch for sale in that very area. more or less. :D

I think I might know that feller too.

I believe the Home Ranch could be bought from the current owner also. Only 20+ miles of road to build to make it an accessable operation.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Return to “Coffee Shop”