Ranchers.net Bull Session

Daily Bible reading

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:18 pm

January 2, 2009
1 John 2: 22 - 28
Who is the Liar? He who denies that Jesus is the Christ. He is the antichrist, denying the Father and the Son. Anyone who denies the Son has no claim to the Father, but he who acknowledges the Son can claim the Father as well.
As for you, let what you heard from the begining remain in your hearts. If what you heard from the begining does remain in your hearts, then you in turn will remain in the Son and in the Father, he himself made us a promise and the promise is no less than eternal life. I have written you these things about those who try to deceive you. As for you, the annointing you received from him remains in your hearts. This means you have no need for anyone to teach you. Rather, as his anointing teaches you about all things and is true - free from any lie - as that anointing taught you.
Remain in him now, little ones, so that when he reveals himself, we may be fully confident and not retreat in shame at his coming.
Psalms 98: 1 - 4
Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; his right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. The Lord has made his salvation known: in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. Sing joyfully to the Lord, all you lands; break into song; sing praise.
John 1: 19 - 28
The testimony John gave when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask, "Who are you?" was the direct statement, "I am not the Messiah." The questioned him further, "Who, then? Elijah?" "I am not Elijah," he answered, "Are you the Prophet?" "No," he replied.
Finally they said to him: "Tell us who you are, so that we can give some answer to those who sent us. What do you have to say for yourself?" He said, quoting the prophet Isaiah, "I am 'a voice in the desert, crying out: Make straight the way of the Lord;"
Those whom the Pharisees had sent proceeded to question him further; "If you are not the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet, why do you baptize?" John answered him: "I baptize with water. There is one among you whom you do not recognize - the one who is to come after me - the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to unfasten." This happened in Bethany, across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:10 pm

January 3, 2009
1 John 2: 29 - 3: 6
If you consider the holiness that is his, you can be sure that everyone who acts in holiness has been begotten by him.
See what love the Father has bestowed on us in letting us be called children of God! Yet that is what we are. The reason the world does not recognize us is that it never recognized the Son. Dearly beloved, we are God's children now; what we shall later be has not yet come to light. We know that when it comes to light we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope based on him keeps himself pure, as he is pure. Everyone who sins acts lawlessly for sin is lawlessness. You know well that the reason he revealed himself was to take away sins; in him there is nothing sinful. The man who remains in him does not sin. The man who sins has not seen him or known him.
Psalms 98: 1, 3 - 6
Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; His right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God.
Sing joyfully to the Lord, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. sing praise to the Lord with the harp, with the harp and melodious song. With the trumpets and the sound of the horn sing joyfully before the King, the Lord.
John 1: 29 - 34
The next day, when John caught sight of Jesus coming toward him, he exclaimed: "Look! There is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the World! It is he of whom I said; 'after me is to come a man who ranks ahead of me, because he was before me.'
I confess I did not recognize him, though the very reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." John gave this testimony also: "I saw the Spirit descend like a dove from the sky, and it came to rest on him. But I did not recognize him. The one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'When you see the Spirit descend and rest on someone, it is he who is to baptize with the Holy Spirit.' Now I have seen for myself and have testified, This is God's chosen one.'"

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Sunday, January 4, 2009
Sirach 24: 1 - 4, 8 - 12
Wisdom sings her own praises, before her own people she proclaims her glory; in the assembly of the Most High she opens her mouth, in the presence of his hosts she declares her worth: "From the mouth of the Most High I came forth, and mistlike covered the earth. In the highest heavens did I dwell, my throne on a pillar of cloud."
"Then the Creator of all gave me his command, and he who formed me chose the spot for my tent, saying, 'In Jacob make your dwelling, in Israel your inheritance.' Before all ages in the beginning, he created me, and through all ages I shall not cease to be. In the holy tent I ministered before him, and in Zion I fixed my abode. Thus in the chosen city he has given me rest, in Jerusalem is my domain. I have struck root among the glorious people, in the portion of the Lord, his heritage.
Psalms 147: 12 - 15, 19 - 20
Glorify the Lord O Jerusalem; praise your God O Zion. For he has strengthened the bars of your gates; he has blessed your children within you. He has granted peace in your borders; with the best of wheat he fills you. He sends forth his command to the earth; swiftly runs his word!
He has proclaimed his word to Jacob, his statutes and his ordinances to Israel. He has not done thus for any other nation; his ordinances he has not made known to them. Alleluia.
Ephesians 1: 3 - 6, 15 - 18
Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has bestowed on us in Christ every spiritual blessing in the heavens! God chose us in him before the world began, to be holy and blameless in his sight, to be full of love; he likewise predestined us through Christ Jesus to be his adopted sons - such was his will and pleasure - that all might praise the glorious favor he has bestowed on us in his beloved.
For my part, from the time I first heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the members of the church, I have never stopped thanking God for you and recommending you in my prayers. May the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, grant you a spirit of wisdom and insight to know him clearly. May he enlighten your innermost vision that you may know the great hope to which he has called you, the wealth of his glorious heritage to be distributed among the members of the church.
John 1: 1 - 18
In the beginning was the Word; the Word was in God's presence, and the Word was God. He was present to God in the beginning. Through him all things came into being, and apart from him nothing came to be. Whatever came to be in him, found life, life for the light of men. The light shines on in darkness, a darkness that did not overcome it.
There was a man named John sent by God, who came as a witness to testify to the light, so that through him all men might believe - but only to testify to the light; for he himself was not the light. The real light which gives light to every man was coming into the world.
He was in the world, and through him the world was made, yet the world did not know who he was. To his own he came, yet his own did not accept him. Any who did accept him he empowered to become children of God.
These are they who believe in his name - who were begotten not by blood, nor by carnal desire, nor by man's willing it, but by God.
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we have seen his glory: the glory of an only Son coming from the Father, filled with enduring love.
John testified to him by proclaiming: "This is he of whom I said,'The one who comes after me ranks ahead of me, for he was before me.'"
Of his fullness we have all had a share - love following upon love.
For while the law was given through Moses, this enduring love came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. It is God the only Son, ever at the Father's side who has revealed him.

Shortgrass
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shortgrass » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:25 am

This is not out of the Bible, is it from the Book of Morman?

Clarencen

Postby Clarencen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Shortgrass:
You probaly will not find the book of Sirach in your bible. It is one of the desputed books , or the deutercanonical books. The book of Wisdom is also one of these books. I wondered how long it would be before someone questioned this here on Ranchers net. I believe there were seven deutercanonical books.

Several centuries before the coming of Christ the Pharisees eliminated some of the biblical writings. They used 4 criteria. They had to corespond with the Torah or the law, They had to be written before the time of Ezra, They had to be written in Hebrew, and they had to be written in Palestine.

The early Christians recognized the Greek- Roman bible or the Alexandrine cannon. These books were included in that bible. They are still a part of the Catholic bible.

When Gerome transalated the bible into Latin, he wanted to omit these books, but church authorities encouraged him not to. They remained as part of the bible until the reformation. Luther didn't include these in his bible. He also eliminated Hebrews, James, Jude, and the Apoclypse from the New Testament. Later the Protestants re-inserted these in the New Testament.

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Sirach was not included by the Jews because there were no original copies in Hebrew. But parts of Sirach in Hebrew have been found in the caves at Qumran. These books, excluded by Protestants because the Jewish excluded them, were in the original King James Bible, and later removed. They can usually be found in most new bibles, but in a separate place.

The Book of Morman is made up stories by Joseph Smith, and has no place in Christian religion.

I find these bible readings at www. easterbrook.com I understand that Lutherans, Episcopalians and others have similar readings, but not usually daily, and not as many from the old testament. There can also be alternate Catholic readings, depending on geographical differences and religious orders. Also Eastern Rite readings would vary some.

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:30 pm

January 5, 2009
First John 3: 11 - 21
This, remember, is the message you heard from the beginning: we should love one another. We should not follow the example of Cain who belonged to the evil one and killed his brother. Why did he kill him? Because his own deeds were wicked while his brother's were just. No need, then, brothers, to be surprised if the world hates you. That we have passed from death to life we know because we love the brothers. The man who does not love is among the living dead. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that eternal life abides in no murder's heart. The way we come to understand love was that he laid down his life for us; we too must lay down our lives for our brothers. I ask you, how can God's love survive in a man who has enough of this world's goods yet closes his heart to his brother when he sees him in need. Little children, let us love in deed and in truth and not merely talk about it. This is our way of knowing we are commited to the truth and are at peace before him no matter what our consciences may charge us with; for God is greater than our hearts and all is kown to him. Beloved, if our consciences have nothing to charge us with, we can be sure that God is with us.
Psalms 100: 1 - 5
Sing joyfully to the Lord, all you lands; serve the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful song. Know that the Lord is God; he made us, his we are; his people, the flock he tends. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, his courts with praise; Give thanks to him; bless his name, for he is good: the Lord, whose kindness endures forever, and his faithfulness, to all generation.
John 1 : 43 - 51
The next day he wanted to set out for Galilee, but first he came upon Philip. "Follow me," Jesus said to him. Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the same town as Andrew and Peter. Philip sought out Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one Moses spoke of in the law - the prophets too - Jesus, son of Joseph, from Nazareth." Nathanael's response to that was, "Can anything good come from Nazarath?" and Philip replied, "Come, see for yourself." When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he remarked: "This man is a true Israelite. There is no guile in him." "How do you know me?" Nathanael asked him. "Before Philip called you," Jesus answered, "I saw you under the fig tree.
"Rabbi," said Nathanael, "You are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel. Jesus responded: "Do you believe just because I told you I saw you under the fig tree: You will see much greater things than that."
He went on to tell them, "I solemnly assure you, you shall see the sky opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

January 6, 2009 Today is the feast of Ephiphany, or the revealing to the world the Christ child. These readings were probably heard in church Sunday, the 4th, the closest Sunday to Ephiphany.
Isaiah 60: 1 - 6
Rise up in splendor! Your light has come, the glory of the Lord shines upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick clouds cover the peoples; but upon you the Lord shines, and over you appears his glory. nations shall walk by your light, and kings by your shining radiance. Raise your eyes and look about; they all gather and come to you; your sons come from afar, and your daughtrs in the arms of their nurses. Then you shall be radiant at what you see, your heart shall throb and overflow, for the riches of the sea shall be emptied out before you, the wealth of nations shall fill you, dromedaries from Midian and Epah; all from Sheba shall come bearing gold and frankincense, and proclaiming the praises of the Lord.
Psalms 72: 2, 7 - 8, 10 - 13
He shall govern your people with justice and your afflicted ones with judgement.
Justice shall flower in his days, and profound peace, till the moon be no more. May he rule from sea to sea and from the River to the ends of the earth.
The kings of Tarshish and the Isles shall offer gifts; the kings of Arabia and Seba shall bring tribute. All kings shall pay him homage, all nations shall serve him. for he shall rescue the poor man when he cries out, and the afflicted when he has no one to help him. He shall have pity for the lowly and the poor; the lives of the poor he shall save.
Ephesians 3: 2 - 3, 5 - 6
I am sure you have heard of the ministry which God in his goodness gave me in your regard. That is why to me, Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles, God's secret plan as I have briefly described it was revealed. When you read what I have said, you will realize that I know what I am talking about in speaking of the mystery of Christ, unknown to men in former ages but now revealed by the Spirit to the holy apostles and prophets. It is no less than this: in Christ Jesus the Gentiles are now co-heirs with the Jews, members of the same body and sharers of the promise through the preaching of the gospel.
Matthew 2: 1 - 12
After Jesus' birth in Bethlehem of Judea during the reign of King Herod, astrologers from the east arrived one day in Jerusalem inquiring, "Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We observed his star at its rising and have come to pay him homage."
At this news King Herod became greatly disturbed, and with him all Jerusalem. Summoning all of the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born. "In Bethlehem of Judea," they informed him "Here is what the prophet has written:
'And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the princes of Judah, since from you shall come a ruler who is to shepherd my people Israel.'"
Herod called the astrologers aside and found out from them the exact time of the star's appearance. Then he sent them to Bethlehem, after having instructed them: "Go and get detailed information about the child. When you have found him, report it to me so that I may go and offer him homage too."
After their audience with the king, they set out. The star which they observed at its rising went ahead of them until it came to a standstill over the place where the child was. They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house, found the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their coffers and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm

January 7, 2009
First John 3: 22 - 4: 6
We can be sure that God is with us and that we will receive at his hands whatever we ask. Why" Because we are keeping his commandments and doing what is pleasing in his sight. His commandment is this: we are to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and we are to love one another as he commanded us. Those who keep his commandments remain in him and he in them. And this is how we know that he remains in us: from the Spirit that he gave us.
Beloved, do not trust every spirit, but put the spirits to a test to see if they belong to God, because many false prophets have appeared in the World. This is how you can recognize God's Spirit: every spirit that acknowledges Jesus Christ come in the flesh belongs to God, while every spirit that fails to acknowledge him does not belong to God. Such is the spirit of the antichrist which, as you have heard, is to come; in fact, it is in the world already. You are of god, you little ones, and thus you have conquered the false prophets. For there is One greater in you than there is in the world; that is why theirs is the language of the world and why the world listens to them. We belong to God and anyone who has knowledge of God gives us a hearing, while anyone who is not of God refuses to hear us. Thus do we distinguish the spirit of truth from the spirit of deception.
Psalms 2: 7 - 8, 1- 11
I will proclaim the decree of the Lord: The Lord said to me, "You are my son; this day I have begotten you. Ask of me and I will give you the nations for an inheritance and the ends of the earth for your possesson.
And now, O kings, give heed; take warning, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice before him; with trembling pay homage to him, lest he be angry and you perish from the way, when his anger blazes suddenly. Happy are all who take refuge in him!
Matthew 4: 12 - 17, 23 - 25
When Jesus heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee. He left Nazarath and went down to live in Capernaum by the sea near the territory of Zebulun and Naphtali, to fulfill what had been said through Isaiah the prophet:
"Land of Zabulun, land of Naphtali along the sea beyond the Jordan, heathen Galilee: a people living in darkness has seen a great light. On those who inhabit a land overshadowed by death, light has arisen."
From that time on on Jesus began to proclaim this theme: "Reform your lives! The Kingdom of heaven is at hand."
Jesus toured all of Galilee. He taught in their synagogues, proclaimed the good news of the kingdom, and cured the people of every disease and illness. As a consequence of this, his reputation traveled the length of Syria. They carried to him all those afflicted with varius diseases and racked with pain: the possessed, the lunatics, the paralyzed. He cured them all. The great crowds that followed him came from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem and Judea, and from across the Jordan.

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:54 pm

January 8, 2009
First John 4: 7 - 10
Beloved, let us love one another because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten of God and has knowledge of God. The man without love has known nothing of God, for God is love. God's love was revealed in our midst in this way: he sent his only Son to the world that we might have life through him. Love, then, consists in this: not that we have loved God, but that he has loved us and has sent his Son as an offering for our sins.
Psalms 72: 1 - 4, 7 - 8
O God, with your judgement endow the king, and with your justice, the king''s son; he shall govern your people with justice and your afflicted ones with judgement. The mountains shall yield peace for the people, and the hills justice. He shall defend the afflicted among the people, save the children of the poor, and crush the oppressor.
Justice shall flower in his days, and profound peace, till the moon be no more. May he rule from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.
Mark 6: 34 - 44
Upon disembarking Jesus saw a vast crowd. He pitied them for they were like sheep without a shepherds; and he began to teach them at great length. It was now getting late and his disciples came to him with a suggestion: "This is a deserted place and it is already late. Why do you not dismiss them so that they can go to the crossroads and villages around here and buy themselves something to eat?" "You give them something to eat," Jesus replied. At that they said, "Are we to go and spend two hundred days' wages for bread to feed them?" "How many loves have you?" Jesus asked. "Go and see." When they learned the number they answered, "Five, and two fish." He told them to make the people sit down on the green grass in groups or parties. The people took their places in hundreds and fifites, neatly arranged like flower beds..
Then, taking the five loaves and the two fish, Jesus raised his eyes to heaven pronounced a blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples to distribute. He divided the two fish among all of them and they ate until they had their fill. They gatherered up enough leftovers to fill twelve baskets, besides what remained of the fish. Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men.

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:06 pm

January 9, 2009
First John 4: 11 - 18
Beloved, if God has loved us so, we must have the same love for one another. No one has ever seen God. Yet if we love one another God dwells in us, and his love is brought to perfection in us. The way we know we remain in him and he in us is that he has given us of his Spirit. We have seen for ourselves and can testify, that the Father has sent the Son as a savior of the world. When anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwells in him and he in God. We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. Our love is brought to perfection in this, that we should have confidence on the day of judgement; for our relation to this world is just like his. Love has no room for fear; rather, perfect love casts out all fear. And since fear has to do with punishment, love is not yet perfect in one who is afraid.

Psalms 72: 1 - 2, 10, 12 - 13
O God, with your judgement endow the king, and with your justice the king's son; He shall govern your people with justice and your afflicted ones with judgement.
The kings of Tarshish and the Isles shall offer gifts; the kings of Arabia and Seba shall bring tribute.
For he shall rescue the poor man when he cries out, and the afflicted when he has no one to help him. He shall have pity for the lowly and the poor, the lives of the poor he shall save.

Mark 6: 45 - 52
Imediately afterward he insisted that his disciples get into the boat and precede him to the other side toward Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. When he had taken leave of them, he went off to the mountain to pray. As evening drew on, the boat was far out on the lake while he was alone on the land.
Then, seeing them tossed about as they tried to row with the wind against them, he came walking toward them on the water; the time was between three and six in the morning. He meant to pass them by. When they saw him walking on the lake, they thought it was a ghost and they began to cry out. They had all seen him and were terrified. He hastened to reassure them: "Get hold of yourselves! It is I. Do not be afraid!" He got into the boat with them and the wind died down. They were taken aback by these happenings, for they had not understood about the loaves. On the contrary, their minds were completely closed to the meaning of the events.

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 pm

January 10, 2009
First John 4: 19 - 5: 4
We, for our part, love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "My love is fixed on God, " yet hates his brother, he is a liar. One who has no love for the brother he has seen cannot love the God he has not seen. The commandment we have from him is this: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been begotten of God. Now, everyone who loves the father loves the child he has begotten. We can be sure that we love God's children when we love God and do what he has commanded. The love of God consists in this: that we keep his commandments - and his commandments are not burdensome. Everyone begotten of God conquers the world, and the power that has conquered the world is the faith of ours.

Psalms 72: 1 - 2, 14 - 15, 17
O God, with your judgement endow the king, and with your justice, the king's son, He shall govern your people with justice and your afflicted ones with judgement.
From fraud and violence he shall redeem them, and precious shall their blood be in his sight. May he live to be given the gold of Arabia, and to be prayed for continually; day by day shall they bless him.
May his name be blessed forever; as long as the sun his name shall remain. In him shall all the tribes of the earth be blessed; all the nations shall proclaim his happiness.

Luke 4: 14 - 22
Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and his reputation spread throughout the region. He was teaching in their synagogues, and all were loud in his praise.
He came to Nazareth where he had been reared, and entering the synagogue on the sabbath as he was in the habit of doing, he stood up to do the reading. When the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed him, he unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written:
"The spirit of the Lord is upon me; therefore, he has anointed me. He has sent me to bring glad tiding to the poor, to proclaim liberty to captives, recovery of sight to the blind and release to prisoners, to announce a year of favor from the Lord."
Rolling up the scroll he gave it back to the assistant and sat down. All in the synagogue had their eyes fixed on him. Then he began by saying to them. "Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing." All who were present spoke favorably of him; they marveled at the appealing discourse which came from his lips. They also asked "Is not this Joseph's son?"

Return to “Coffee Shop”