Ranchers.net Bull Session

Saying the right thing, at the right time.........Priceless.

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 pm

You are exactly right OT. N causes faster growth at the expense of the roots. When you ain't got strong roots you got nothing.

I have noticed heavier weaning weights on calves up in the midwest, west and drier climates. We have to really push it down here to wean (adjusted) a calf at #800.
Any insights as to why?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Mike wrote:You are exactly right OT. N causes faster growth at the expense of the roots. When you ain't got strong roots you got nothing.

I have noticed heavier weaning weights on calves up in the midwest, west and drier climates. We have to really push it down here to wean (adjusted) a calf at #800.
Any insights as to why?

Mike- I don't remember much from my old grasses and range management class's, but I do remember that this old short grass has more protein in it than anywhere- might not look like much there, but it has a lot of OOMPH in whats there- really will put weight on yearlings.....Get a little rain early enough and it will come thru---Lot of times we find the same with the wheat crops where you get the moisture early to get it growing good and a hot period in the summer and end up with 18+ protein wheat....
Last year with all the moisture (snow and rain) we were lucky when we got 12 protein wheat-- Many didn't even get 10.....Last year with the lush spring grass was the first year I had a problem with grass tetany.......

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:47 pm

OT-get on a good mineral program and you won't ever have to worry about grass tetnany. (Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL!)

But you are right about the short grass packing a punch. We have done grass samples here in June, 18-19% protein!!

One fallacy is that when the grass dries out, it still has a lot of protein. It only has about 4% and that sometimes is on the high side. However, if we get some fall moisture and the green grass starts to grow, well, you know as well as I, that feed puts weight on the calves better than any grain.

This is suprising country. Doesn't take much rain, but does need some!!

I think I'll throw in with rancher and up the ante for moisture! I think he's got a good idea there.

Say, you guys hired a rainmaker a few years back. It seems to me like it has rained on NE Montana ever since. Am I correct?

Return to “Coffee Shop”