Ranchers.net Bull Session

something for "fightless Friday"

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:09 pm

NR, don't know what I have. Had the flu shot. Have the chills, ache all over and cough from throat not the chest and no upper head cold. Just feel like sh*T. Tomorrow is not going to be fun feeding at the rate. But life must go on. Thanks for thinking of me.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Tom S

Postby Tom S » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:11 pm

rancher wrote:NR, don't know what I have. Had the flu shot. Have the chills, ache all over and cough from throat not the chest and no upper head cold. Just feel like sh*T. Tomorrow is not going to be fun feeding at the rate. But life must go on. Thanks for thinking of me.

That sounds like what we had in Dec/Jan. Sucks bigtime. Hope you come out of it quick. Just thought, my Dad had it too and a few weeks later was wondering why he was a little doggy yet, turned out he got pnemonia as an after affect.
"The Prohibitionists say that drinking beer is bad for you but the Bible says that Noah made wine and drank it and he only lived to be 950 years. Show me an abstainer who ever lived that long." Will Rogers

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:17 pm

Tom S, if it is the same how long do I have to live? How long did your last? I don't have a fever, just thought I was getting a cold, but no cold has ever felt like this before.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:24 pm

rancher.....seen alot of this flu bug going around our parts, too...it is actually a strain of the real influenza that, unfortunately, is resistant to the vaccine that we were so "short" of at the beginning!! the best recipe that this nurse can give you is "lots of water and fluids (yes, gatorade and powerade count as fluids, but beer DOES NOT!!LOL!!), tylenol or ibuprofen for the fever and aches and last (but most importantly) REST!!! i know this is a concept unknown to you rancher/cowboy/farmer types, but it is of utmost importance!!! my husband got this bug, was down and out for 48 hours, felt better, got cocky and went back to his 20 hour days....only lasted for the first 20 hours and he was back down for 3 days!!! that's the way this seems to go....come and go for a few weeks!!! your place is not gonna blow away in the wind if you take a couple of days to fully recuperate!! trust me and get your a@@ to bed and stay there a day or two....
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:30 pm

rancher, I've had this overgrown cold for two weeks. It is not fun, and I feel for you. The dust in the air makes it hard to inhale enough life-giving oxygen. Think I am finally gaining ground on the darned deal.

Saddletramp and I both went to a poetry and music deal about a month ago. A carry-in supper was included in the festivities, and about four hours later we both came down with food poisoning. Consider yourself lucky that you just have the cold. I'd much rather have the bad cold for two weeks than the food poisoning for a few hours. That was as close to dying as I've had the opportunity to experience. Much of the night was spent sitting in the little room with a bowl in my lap. My breathing was very labored, and my concerned wife was on the other side of the door asking if there was anything she could do. My reply was that I just wanted her to know it was for real, and that I was not faking. She said that nobody could act that good, which was reassuring in itself.

Good luck to you. Take heart, this too shall pass.

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:36 pm

I don't have a fever, so wonder what it is. Just aches, loose cough that about rips my throat out, hot inside and freezing on the outside, no headache or runny nose. Will go to bed after I get the cows fed. I spent most of the day in bed off and on, have to get up as it makes you ache more laying in one spot. I never did handle sick very well. Wife would be sick and kids sick at the same time and she still handle it all. I can hardly take care of my cows and me at one time. Whiskey is what I need.

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:39 pm

I agree Soapweed, nothing worse than a good case of food poisoning. You don't know what end to treat first and sometimes they both go at once. I feel better already knowing it could be worse, thanks.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:53 pm

rancher wrote:I don't have a fever, so wonder what it is. Just aches, loose cough that about rips my throat out, hot inside and freezing on the outside, no headache or runny nose. Will go to bed after I get the cows fed. I spent most of the day in bed off and on, have to get up as it makes you ache more laying in one spot. I never did handle sick very well. Wife would be sick and kids sick at the same time and she still handle it all. I can hardly take care of my cows and me at one time. Whiskey is what I need.

"Whiskey"???? wait....didn't i say WATER??? oh well, what ever you need to get some SLEEP!!! Theraflu tastes like hell, but it really does help...give 'er a try and best of luck...the hubby says theraflu works best if mixed with the whiskey....go figure!!! yes, of course, we women can handle being sick and still taking care of the kids...one too many times, the hubby has been sick and stated (more than once) "just shoot me and put me outta my misery".....been a few times that that was starting to sound like a pretty good option!!!

Never forget!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:11 pm

My husband had the same deal, rancher. It lasted for 10 days. He felt better, went out and worked, then felt worse. So it kept coming and going. He had the aches all over. He still has a deep sore spot in his throat. Other than that, he seems to have lived through it. I got a cold, which I hardly ever do get, but I didn't get what he had, knock on wood.

Sure hope you get to feeling better.

BTW, another good 4-letter word I thought of today and I bet all you sick fellas will agree with: WIFE!!!

Steve
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:46 pm

:lol: My Wife A Scottish Lass, swears by her Hot toddy recipe; it will cure most of what ails you.

1 1/2 oz Scotch Whiskey
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Sugar Syrup
1 slice Lemon
1 Clove
4 oz hot Water

Heat in a heat-resistant glass, and fill with hot water. Add a lemon slice speared with a clove, and serve.

Well it may not cure much but then after a couple scotchs, who cares :lol:
"Obama: If They Bring a tank to the Fight, I'll Bring a teleprompter."

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:24 pm

steve....forgot about the magic of the hot toddy!!! definately worth a try...or two or three!! :wink:

Never forget!

Cal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cal » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:52 am

I'd much rather have the bad cold for two weeks than the food poisoning for a few hours. That was as close to dying as I've had the opportunity to experience. Much of the night was spent sitting in the little room with a bowl in my lap. My breathing was very labored, and my concerned wife was on the other side of the door asking if there was anything she could do. My reply was that I just wanted her to know it was for real, and that I was not faking. She said that nobody could act that good, which was reassuring in itself.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soapweed, been there done that too. Happened to me in Phoenix, and I really didn't want to die there in some motel room. Please tell us you got sick on chicken or fish and not beef! LOL

Return to “Coffee Shop”