Ranchers.net Bull Session

Old songs

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:47 am

Soapweed wrote:Ian Tyson is hard to beat. I gave my cousin (remember Roanie? he gave up the bull session because he spends all of his spare time on eBay) a CD of Ian's, called "All the Good 'Uns". He had never hear of Ian Tyson before, but now he is just as hooked as me.

Just today I heard Suzy Bogguss singing "There's a young man that I know....." Ian wrote that song, and it has put plenty of jingly in his jeans. His cowboy songs are all just top of the line.

Other favorite singers are Johnny Horton, Billy Walker, Connie Francis, Emmy Lou Harris, Ray Price, R.W. Hampton, and the Sawmill Creek Band. I like to listen to the piano playing of Floyd Cramer and Frank Mills, and Lloyd Green can put chills down your spine when he lets loose with a steel guitar.

Good music and good books are truly the spice of life.

Soapweed you had better come to Assinaboia Sask. for the 15th of April. The Sask. Stockgrowers are bring Ian Tyson in for a concert. It was supposed to be "The border is open party" but may have to become "A open the border party. :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:51 am

Soapweeds got it right. I like Ian Tyson. But also Don Edwards, Jesse Ballyntine, Wylie and the West and many more who are singing "new" old cowboy songs.

I very seldom listen to the radio and when I do it's driving down the road. So talk radio or classic rock.

When I was in high school (I called it prison) all they would play at dances was rock and I hated it, but now (30 years later) I enjoy those old songs. I hate todays new rock and most "country" from today.

But I have pretty eclectic tastes. Anything that sounds good and isn't too harsh, unless I'm driving late at night and need to stay awake.

One of my favorite songs is "Darktown Strutters Ball". I grew up listening to my folks dance band who played songs from the 20's to the 40's or 50's. Just music, no singing.
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

3words

Postby 3words » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:13 am

I do Mike,good song.

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 am

My husband has me hooked on the 60s. Mitchell has a radio station that we listen to. When we haul fats to market, we leave at night. Husband takes the simi and I the truck and trailier and it nice knowing he's bee bopping to the same music as I am. My favorite: Mustang Sally.... I excercise to Ray Charles.. Heyyyy, Hooooooooooo,Hey, Ho, I gotta women who lives way cross town...I gotta women

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:40 am

Strawberry Roan??! Little Joe the Wrangler?!! :o :shock: My husband sang these songs to our littlest ones as "lullabyes" a few years back and i thought he was MAKING THEM UP!! OOOPPPSSS!! he loves the older Chris LeDoux songs and had "Look at you girl" sung at our wedding and as our first dance!!
I know that it's not an "old song", but i woke this morning to my alarm clock playing "Great Day to Be Alive" by Travis Tritt.....sure set the mood :D :D :D

Hoping all of you are having a great day!!
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:51 am

I remember my Mom singing 'Little Joe the Wrangler' to me as a little kid. Darn it BMR I'd of headed down to Assinaboia for Ian Tyson but Ty is riding bulls by Calgary that weekend. It's amazing what young kids will listen to-my neighbor and I pulled an all nighter to Albuquerque with his teenage boys a couple years back and I had an old Stompin' Tom Connors tape along-well we sang along to that for about a thousand miles. Garth Brooks never got out of the CD case lol.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:05 am

Dont forget JOHNNY HORTON,HANK WILLIAMS and the possum.........good luck

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:25 am

My dad sang Hank Williams to me. And the bull frog song( You get a line and I'll get pole baby, You get a line and I'll get pole ole baby, You get a line I'll get a pole will go down by the ole frog hole, hmmmhmmmm be mine. And another one was,I don't want her you can have her she's to fat for me. Way to fat for me....

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 am

Hank Williams Jr.

I really really really like GIRLS

I like em short I like em tall

I like em fat I like em small

I like em all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:56 pm

Coming back from Miles City this evening we heard Hank III sing, "I don't know". It was a real catchy tune and I think one of the first ones I've heard him sing.

When we were in W. Mt. a friend of ours was a good friend of Dick Willy. Hank Williams Jr. was with Dick Willy when he fell off the mountain in the Big Hole and almost didn't survive. It was a few years later when he was hunting and came to the town we lived in with Dick Willy to visit the mutual friends of us both. Anyway, they called and invited a few people in to the Moose Lodge to listen to Hank Williams Jr. IT WAS A BLAST!! He can play absoulutely any insturment. Talk about a musician. We were so impressed! I don't think his musical talent is as apparent on stage as what he possesses, since he mostly sings and plays a little guitar when on stage. The piano--he can play it like Jerry Lee Lewis!!! The music just rolls out of him. It was awesome! A time we will never forget.

Hey Mike! I recall Hot Rod Lincoln, but not all the words. I was trying to remember the other night the song that ends, "It was a kid in a hopped up Model A." One of the other lines is "I thought it was a plane, the way it was a-comin' "-- what is that song? Is that "Hot Rod Lincoln?"

Tonight we also heard Tommy Collins sing "You just better not do that". There are so many good ones a person forgets about. I had forgotten about Freddie Hart. He had some pretty good ones.

baling wire

Postby baling wire » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:54 am

Anyone remember Cow Patty and her trusty moped.

Return to “Coffee Shop”