Ranchers.net Bull Session

Old songs

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
EJ

Old Songs

Postby EJ » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:46 am

Haven`t heard "Teddy Bear" for some time. Other "golden oldies" haven` heard for a while were by: Connie Francis, Leroy VanDyke, and Sheb Woolie[sp].

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Old Songs

Postby ranchwife » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:10 am

EJ wrote:Haven`t heard "Teddy Bear" for some time. Other "golden oldies" haven` heard for a while were by: Connie Francis, Leroy VanDyke, and Sheb Woolie[sp].

how about loretta lynn, barbara mandrell, waylon jennings, jerry lewis, cw mccall, johnny rodriguez, mel tillis, charlie pride, charlie rich, johnny lee....could go on forever!!!
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Clarence

Postby Clarence » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:16 am

Oh, All you you young feooers. Back when I was in high school, there was Born to Losee, and Piistol Packing Momma. Oh yes and a World War II song, Drinking Rum a Coco-Cola. Might tell you the history of that one some time.

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:35 am

was lucky enough to attend a George Strait concert last week, he sang for two hours, only took out enough time to introduce his band. not many if any better than George. he sang a song I had never heard before, about if you are looking for him he will be rocking on his porch in Texas, I hope not a retirement song.

Tom S

Re: Old Songs

Postby Tom S » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:39 am

EJ wrote:Haven`t heard "Teddy Bear" for some time. Other "golden oldies" haven` heard for a while were by: Connie Francis, Leroy VanDyke, and Sheb Woolie[sp].

Over our way we have a classic country station that plays nothing but. It must be doing good because it's still going strong with all the songs mentioned here. Funny how a guy never gets tired of them. I couldn't even tell anyone what's new in country, never listen no more.
"The Prohibitionists say that drinking beer is bad for you but the Bible says that Noah made wine and drank it and he only lived to be 950 years. Show me an abstainer who ever lived that long." Will Rogers

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:59 am

Are most of the new ones really country?

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:10 am

Just give me Merle Haggard! If he were the only singer around it would be just fine with me.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:50 am

Mike wrote:Just give me Merle Haggard! If he were the only singer around it would be just fine with me.

Absolutely!!! when i was little(er) :wink: i loved "rainbow stew" and "okie from muskogee"....the man can still carry a tune in a bucket (without the lid)....another favorite whose voice still makes me weak in the knees is the late, GREAT Conway Twitty!!! Has anyone but myself heard the new "kid" on the circuit who sounds astoundingly like conway?? his name is jeff bates and the sound of his voice will give you goosebumps and make you believe in reincarnation!!!
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!

Never forget!

Clarence

Postby Clarence » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:30 pm

How about Jim Reives He'll Have to go, Then Freddie Fender Wasted Days and Wasted Nights and When The Last Teardrop Falls.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:43 pm

My wife and I dated to Johnny Lee and Lookin for love and all of Ronnie Milsap.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Tom S

Postby Tom S » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:21 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:My wife and I dated to Johnny Lee and Lookin for love and all of Ronnie Milsap.

You are a young pup! :wink:
"The Prohibitionists say that drinking beer is bad for you but the Bible says that Noah made wine and drank it and he only lived to be 950 years. Show me an abstainer who ever lived that long." Will Rogers

TimH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TimH » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:21 pm

As far as old songs go, some of my favorites are by Marty Robbins and George Jones.It's good to see George Jones still alive and kickin'!!!
My Dad used to have a ton of "Country Song Roundup" magazines from the '50's and '60's. Maybe some of you remember them?? They had the lyrics to the popular songs of the day printed in each issue. I think he must have tossed them because I don't remember seeing them when I helped him move after he retired. Too bad, as I would consider them priceless now!!! :cry: :cry:

Return to “Coffee Shop”