Ranchers.net Bull Session

My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:26 am

The day started on the right foot with a CA omelette: avocado, bacon, sausage, and ham, all perfectly combined with Swiss cheese. My Mother and I had breakfast at our favorite little restaurant; once again, we shared a good breakfast along with a great conversation. I had mixed emotions as my mind wondered when would I return to a place that has been my home for the last three years. I never thought of living in the desert, but it sure has been a pleasant experience. In the other hand, I am worried about leaving my Mom and praying that God can open a different teaching position within the district so that she can get away from having to deal with a sick person in her department.
After breakfast, Luigi (car), Roscoe (favorite stuffed animal-dog), and I got on the road to MN. Well, Roscoe sure got too comfortable on the passenger seat and didn't even attended to his responsibilities of riding shot gun; it was all left to Luigi and I to do all of the work! The closer I got to Las Vegas, interesting ideas were being filtered in my mind (eg., maybe picking up a pimp or two in Las Vegas to start a ....) one needs to consider all kinds of ideas when planning on having a golden egg or two for retirement!

My mind was not only over working, but Marcello (stomach) was also talking; except that when Marcello talks is only because he is hungry! He was giving me a hard time because he remembered about the good tacos that he could pick up at a little holein the wall on the Strip... I immediately gave him a warning, or else, he would be send to the "naughty corner" for a few minutes... I couldn't believe this little sucker wanted to eat after having such a delicious breakfast! I just need to remind Marcello of our point allowance and the scale from WW, to discourage him from abusing our daily points budget. Shhhh... WW sucks at times!

Ah, but I sure like Dr. Reefer's billboard... Thanks to this billboard, I remembered that I forgot to bring my "Marijuana" card! I can't believe it, I knew I needed to exit to go and pick one up with Dr. Reefer, but then again, I realized that I am on a time constraint to get to MN... I didn't even have any time to stop at the "Love Store" in Las Vegas, all of these things that I could pick up at one stop, and I couldn't! Bummer, I said to myself... But then again, the family name is high on the sky, so I better keep on driving.

By this time, Mr. Cruise Control and I became Best Buddies... What an amazing invention! I am going to learn how it works with the mechanics of the car. It is so cool; I just kept on being on the alert of the cars enfront and around me, while I let the little "elf" take care of the gas pedal... I am now able to stay within the speed limit and not get passed by antique cars! I felt like a chicken roasting as I drove the rest of NV and parts of Arizona... The air conditioning was like a dragon blowing fire, so I ended up turning it off and opening up the windows for a while. Then when I entered Utah, I tried talking to "Charlie" again about taking a piece of Utah's with me to MN, but the answer was a simple "NO!" The evening brought a lot of nostalgia and some loneliness, but thank God, I managed to get to Evanston, WY. Tomorrow will be a new day, with new opportunities, and more memories to create....

May your day be filled with bliss!
SB

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:34 am

So the adventure continues. And I'm tuned in! Safe travels!
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Here's wishing you a safe trip. What kind of car do you drive, sweetbasil?
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am

Faster horses wrote:Here's wishing you a safe trip. What kind of car do you drive, sweetbasil?

"Luigi" is a 2004 Ford Escape. He runs well and bought it with just 54,000 miles! I was hoping on getting something smaller, but due to being short, I need something to see out well so that I can park within the lines!

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Safe journeys and keep in touch. :D

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Hello Everyone,
Day two of my journey involved a night and a full day in Mitchell, South Dakota. My GPS (Jack) took me by the Black Hills; I haven't seen such a beautiful place in a while. I was so tempted to see Mount Rushmore, but I didn't. Well, Mitchell has its own charm; I got to see the Corn Palace and downtown, and had dinner at the Depot in downtown. I enjoyed not driving and letting my feet rest, which looked like two little deformed tamales due to being swollen. I continued my journey on Wednesday to Minneapolis, it was rather a pleasant last stretch of this journey. I enjoyed seeing the farms and the many towns that I drove by; St. Peter, Windom, and Haron Lake were among the names that I remember seeing. I got in and signed my lease by around 3:00 PM. The next thing was to unload Luigi; while going back and forth from the car to the apartment, I decided that I won't buy anything if I can't eat it or wear it; I like to clean, but I hate dusting because it takes forever. Since Wednesday, I have been trying to establish myself and learn my way around. So far, I discovered major things such as where my grocery store is, the bank, etc.

I didn't realized, but one needs to take a written test to get a MN license; I failed my first attempt, and got out of the licensing office feeling very stupid. I was short two questions from passing; I guess I will be studying the drivers' handbook over the weekend.
My new little nest is cute; I don't have any furniture, just my clothes, an air mattress, and a folding chair. I really like the location as it is close to work and it seems to be in a very safe area, yet, close to many stores. My major adjustment so far is to learn to dress according to the weather so that I don't feel like I am having "hot flashes" every time I am out; it seems like we can all four seasons in a day here.

I am grateful to be here, I believe it is very "Charlie" wants me to be. I must confess that it gets lonely in the evenings. I think once I make my little nest comfortable and cozy, I will be OK. I must say that I hope I can learn to ride a horse and get involve in doing something in the community during the weekends. Please keep me in your prayers as I will start my first day of work on Monday, I am eager to start, but also nervous.

Thank you to all of you for being kind to me. May your weekend be filled with bliss.

Best,
sweetbasil

P.S. I apologize for any bad grammar; I am using my phone to post as I don't have Internet in my house yet.

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:57 pm

thanks for the story... what happened across Wyoming :???:
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

sdcowboy59

Postby sdcowboy59 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 am

sweetbasil wrote:
Faster horses wrote:Sorry I missed this thread til now.
Good luck to you, sweetbasil. Just remember it is one big ADVENTURE.
Things will be different but with the right attitude most of it will be
fun. The other part will give you character. :wink: :P :D

Don't forget your 'family' here at ranchers.net!

Thank you! I am sorry it has taken me this long to get back, but got a stomach infection, and was sick for about 5 days... Thank God for antibiotics!

Now go drink a quart of buttermilk. I'm told thats the fastest way to get those friendly little bugs in your tummy working again, after taking antibiotics. My vet used to tell me that after he gave me antibiotics for a cow. Funny ain't it doctors don't tell you that. Must want you to come back in the future for something else.
I like making people smile.
www.sdcowboy.com

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:08 am

Glad to here you made it safely to your new home. :D

Don't let the loneliness get to you. See if a Pet shelter needs a dog walker on Saturdays or if where you work has a slow pitch team. :D

PS. i forgot to tell come August/September don't leave your car un-locked.

You could find the back seat full of Zucchini squash. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:21 am

sdcowboy59 wrote:
sweetbasil wrote:

Thank you! I am sorry it has taken me this long to get back, but got a stomach infection, and was sick for about 5 days... Thank God for antibiotics!

Now go drink a quart of buttermilk. I'm told thats the fastest way to get those friendly little bugs in your tummy working again, after taking antibiotics. My vet used to tell me that after he gave me antibiotics for a cow. Funny ain't it doctors don't tell you that. Must want you to come back in the future for something else.

What a great suggestion! I know years ago when we milked a cow, the doctor in town asked if I would bring in raw buttermilk for a lady who had a leg removed below the knee. She had taken so many antibiotics that she needed something to put the 'bugs' back that the antibiotics had killed off. I was glad to help and I took the buttermilk in for a few weeks. It did the trick and got her stomach healed up. Since then I have been a firm believer in probiotics in humans and animals.

Hope you are reading all this, sweetbasil and store that buttermilk suggestion where you won't forget. :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:01 pm

sdcowboy59 wrote:
sweetbasil wrote:

Good tip! I will definitely get some buttermilk today! Thank you!

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Faster horses wrote:
sdcowboy59 wrote:
sweetbasil wrote:

Yes, I am reading all of the suggestions and posts! I can't wait to get my internet connection so I don't have to come to the library to have access to it...
What a great suggestion! I know years ago when we milked a cow, the doctor in town asked if I would bring in raw buttermilk for a lady who had a leg removed below the knee. She had taken so many antibiotics that she needed something to put the 'bugs' back that the antibiotics had killed off. I was glad to help and I took the buttermilk in for a few weeks. It did the trick and got her stomach healed up. Since then I have been a firm believer in probiotics in humans and animals.

Hope you are reading all this, sweetbasil and store that buttermilk suggestion where you won't forget. :D

Return to “Coffee Shop”