Ranchers.net Bull Session

My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

"What's On Your Mind"

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Lately my mind has been running like a wild horse with an aching soul, but today, I have more hope than I have had in the last month. Today, I am not asking "Charlie" to give me mercy to overcome the heartache that my soul is experiencing, but to allow me to become an instrument to someone in need. There is nothing more worthy in life then when we do something good for someone else. Today, I ask my dearest "Charlie" to give me the privilege of helping someone who is in need. Allow me the privilege to stop looking at my own 'belly button" and use the wisdom of my own circumstances to bring "light" to someone who might be experiencing a dark moment in his/her life.
Thank you for teaching me to become more empathic to others' suffering by allowing me to experience loss in my own life and grief.

P.S. Would you send some creativity my way to get this excel recording dashboard look a little pretty? Mercy!

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Friends,
Hope everyone is having a blissful and safe Labor Day! I am at the Great Wall trying to do some studying while being entertained watching people of all colors walking by! I never thought there could be such a big mall in our country, but it actually exist! Some updates about what "Sweetbasil" has been up to lately...

I don't know if I mentioned before that I am in a rotational program for the first 9 months (just found out it is 9 months) not 12! I was hired by a major retailer in Minnesota, and the purpose of this program is to "train" you to become an "executive" while giving you exposure to the different pyramids within the company. We are not technically being "train" as it is doing a lot of different projects while rotating. We are only four in this program, and our first rotation is in the Global Trade Services Pyramid. My projects are as follow:
1. Creating dashboards and metrics to capture data for their for the audits that are conducted at the factories. This department deals with the security of the company's brand, shipments, and assets. The team is composed of 5 people, and oh boy, they do a lot of work. I came in the middle of a major transition for them, so I have worked closely with this team to achieve their objective for my project. I call this project my "teenager boy" because it has taken quite a bit of creativity, time, and effort to be able to deliver them with something substantial. In the beginning, I was getting all kinds of different directions as I was doing my own research of their processes and trying to understand the what they already have in placed; the findings were a little shocking.

2. Project two is my "middle child"- a calm and easy to do type of project because it was based on learning a new technological platform and creating a Global Trade Virtual Library for them. I really enjoy learning new technologies, so this was hands-on. I even created a manual for them on how to use it and this Team is very pleased with my speed. Our motto is "Fun, Fast, and Friend" and I think "middle child" of mine was just that. This project was for the Compliance Department- they study different trade laws etc., and needed a place to archive all of the research.

3. My "Little Baby" - this project is also within the Compliance Department- I feel like I just gave birth to this "child" because it is simple, yet, I am limited as this particular Team is not very open to using Access instead of Excel to create a better recording process for their Prior Disclosures. I have learned that even thought I feel very comfortable with Microsoft Products, using excel as a record tracking template has pulled some of my creative hairs in trying to improve the process that they have. The second part of this project is also to create metrics to show the data that has been collected- dealing with the numbers is easy, but trying to be creative and making the record tracking template that they are using has been a challenge. The manager is very pleased with my progress, but I am finding ways of adding more value to my work.

4. Project 4 - my "oldest child" - a project where I am the bridge between Headquaters and our Asia Team in optimizing a Micro Model for the upcoming Lunar New Year. The goal is to get POs out of the factories in time before they close for the holiday; yet, we need to hold this POs in the system so that they don't arrive too early and we end up spending on storage. I have enjoyed learning about this process and since it is a hands-on type of project, I am looking forward to seeing the results in the near future. I have enjoyed working with different people across the world.

Building relationships is a main key in our company, having people trust is a key to be successful in "Corporate America" as I been told. I have learned about myself that I truly enjoy meeting people, but I am trying to adjust to the pressure of "meeting them now." I focus on the quality of time that I spend meeting someone, instead of the number of people that I meet. My Team Members as well as management have said that I have "soft skills" (people) as well as "hard skill" (technical) which it is true. I have met so many people and I am privilege when they have asked me " I would love to have lunch with you"- My goal is not to be the next CEO, but just to continue to do my best so that I can have this decent good, and I can pay my bills and have a comfortable life. Living on my own again has been a learning experience, scary at times, but I am trusting God and I know I am meant to be here.

I found my church yesterday, so I am creating roots here! It has been truly a journey so far, and I hope that I can continue to do my best, and put my little grain of salt in helping the rest of my Team Members create something great for the company as well as for our Teams.

This has been my first weekend on my own without having to go out with anyone; I have enjoyed it so much!

Thank you for of the support that many of you have given me.

Regards,
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Here I am in my favorite dress going out to a birthday party!
[img][img]http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/logisticsgirl55/Farmersonlyphoto_zps243b10b2.jpg[/img][/img]

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:15 pm

have fun at the B-day party?
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 am

You look so cute!!! Or is that the wrong word for an up-and-coming executive????

Work hard and have fun! Nice you have found 'your church'.
And keep us posted! So happy things are going well for you.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 pm

jodywy wrote:have fun at the B-day party?

Thank you! I did had a lot of fun at Emma's 30th Birthday Happy Hour. I must confess that I have never been to a Happy Hour before until I arrived to Minnesota. We tend to have lots of HHs with our Team Members. Emma is very sweet, fun, and super smart. It was the first time I ever ordered an alcoholic drink at a HH, and I didn't know that the minimum is 2 drinks during the HH time window; my jaws dropped to the floor when I saw two... My good "twin" was saying "you don't need a screw driver" rather a "diet coke if you want to look like Marilyn Monroe one day." Then my wild "twin" saying "screw you..." I learned that just having one drink makes me a little overly relaxed and sleepy, so next time I'll stick with a soft drink.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Faster horses wrote:You look so cute!!! Or is that the wrong word for an up-and-coming executive????

Work hard and have fun! Nice you have found 'your church'.
And keep us posted! So happy things are going well for you.

Thank you for the compliment! I think I am "cute as a button" and I am only good when I am asleep. I don't know about becoming an "executive" but just trying my best to become the best "Sweetbasil" and grow "roots" in MN or somewhere in the Midwest!! :)

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 am

I feel so frustrated right now... I like the company that I work for, I am grateful for my job, and to be here, but days like this one makes me want to own my own business even more. The culture of this company or maybe it is in Corporate names one always be at someone's mercy to get the needed information to be able to successfully complete one's job. I'll elaborate more later....

nonrancher

Postby nonrancher » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:02 am

Sweetbasil,

I've worked for non-profits and for Corporate America and for myself. What I've learned and what my husband has always told me: "There are frustrations and many positives in all of the above--just roll with it and don't get bent out of shape. Pray and work hard as unto the Lord."

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:25 pm

nonrancher wrote:Sweetbasil,

I've worked for non-profits and for Corporate America and for myself. What I've learned and what my husband has always told me: "There are frustrations and many positives in all of the above--just roll with it and don't get bent out of shape. Pray and work hard as unto the Lord."

nonracher, you always were a wise woman.....those are just good words for living.

Ok, so you didn't say them originally, you were still WISE enough to marry a
man that would have that philosophy! :P :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

nonrancher

Postby nonrancher » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:26 am

Faster horses wrote:

nonracher, you always were a wise woman.....those are just good words for living.

Ok, so you didn't say them originally, you were still WISE enough to marry a
man that would have that philosophy! :P :D
Thanks FasterHorses. Actually, after 48 years of marriage I've come to believe the Lord definitely chose this union because hubby has more strength in my weak areas and vice versa. And where they don't balance out...well, then the Lord teaches us patience.

The other thing my husband would say when I'd complain about something less than pleasant at what I thought would be the perfect job: "That's why they call it work!"

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello "nonrancher",
Thanks so much for your words of wisdom. I like your perspective on Corporate America; I trying to be like a palm tree and bend with the direction of the wind. I didn't care much about palm trees when I was living in CA, but now, I realized how resilient they are, and when I reflect back on our winds storms, I can say that there are unique.

I am grateful for my job, but I am learning about myself and learning about the things I need to do in order to go with the flow. There are certainly many positives in Corporate America, the freedom we have with our time, but on Friday, I was so frustrated after learning some details about my program from my home-based manager. I am the type of person who likes to finish what I start, but one of my projects (the teenager project) is dear to me, and I learned early in the week that I would have to wait another month before one of the key partners who is working on building a system for the audits is finished with that, then I'll be able to wrap up my own project because I need to find out how she will create certain queries. I guess the frustration is due to being dependent somewhat on someone else for information in order to complete my own work. I like to be in control of my work, and this has been the greatest challenge with this company and an eye opening for me. My first rotation comes to an end on Oct.2nd, and I was told that they want to use every second of my time in my next rotation, so I was basically told that sometimes we start something but we don't get to see the end results.

I managed to establish good relationships with people that I have worked for all of my projects, enough that I made some really good friends with some of them. One of my team members that I worked closely with this project will be working closely with me, so that we can ensure that this tool that I have worked so hard to create comes to fruition, and is fully completed while I am in my next rotation. I am truly blessed and grateful to God for giving me the "soft skills" (people) as well a balance of "hard skills" (technical) so that people are willing to work with me and help me out if I need them.

Have a blissful week,
Sweetbasil

Return to “Coffee Shop”