Ranchers.net Bull Session

My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: U.S.A

Postby sweetbasil » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:33 pm

I love music, and today, we sang the following song in church:

"I Bow Down"
-Steve & Vikki Cook c1999 Sovereign Grace Worship

Around You such beauty,
Your majesty could fill an endless sky;
Holy are You Lord.
Transcendent, exalted,
The heavens cannot contain Your presence.
Holy are You Lord.
And as I behold Your glory I 'm undone

Chorus
I bow down at Your feet,
I bow down at Your feet,
I bow down at Your feet
For You are my God, my God.

You saved me, the sinner
With crimson red You washed me white as snow;
How I love You, Lord.
You loved me, the mocker
With kindness You won my heart forever.
How I love You, Lord.
And as I behold this mercy I'm undone.

User avatar
nonrancher
Member
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:13 pm
Location: DE

Postby nonrancher » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:59 pm

It sounds like you are on the right path. Keep on keeping on!

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: U.S.A

Postby sweetbasil » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:02 pm

nonrancher wrote:It sounds like you are on the right path. Keep on keeping on!


Thanks! :)

P.S. I just wish I was as skinny as a palm tree, then bending would be easier!

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: U.S.A

Happy Week!!

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:47 am

May each of you have a blissful week!! :)

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wutmEjdbedE

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: U.S.A

Welcoming the sunrise with "Ballet" moves...

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:33 pm

I couldn't sleep well last night, so after trying to turn off the alarm three times this morning, I quickly got out of bed and started getting ready... Well, I took a shower last night, so my hair decided to have an "attitude" as I couldn't make it stay in place... I look like Elvis minus the fancy clothes. After about 15 minutes fighting with with it, then I finally gave up... Got dressed and on my way to work.

I arrived at work around 6:45 AM, and as I was leaving the parking lot, my legs decided to try out some Ballet moves; which in return, I landed on my knees. I thought to myself "once a Catholic, always a Catholic..." Another lady saw me, but all I could do was to laugh with myself and quickly get up as it nothing had ever happened, but my knees were shaking a little. Yes, age is catching up with me finally! It has been quite an interesting day, had some meetings at work, a meeting for our division, and got some major things accomplished- right now, I am trying to wrap them up. I drove home, and stopped at a Wendy's near my complex.

I entered the restaurant, and oh boy, the cashier had an attitude. There is nothing worse than a woman with an attitude... I didn't know if I went in there for a meal or to commit suicide. I thought to myself, well, I think I can attract more bees with honey than with lemon juice. I tried being nice and striking up a brief conversation, but that didn't worked as she just rolled her eyes; thank God for the other employee- comes next to my favorite cashier and quickly wants to know where my accent comes from... I told her to take a guess.... I chatted for a few minutes while my "meal with attitude" was being cooked. Honestly, I don't know why people need to be rude to others. As I was eating my meal I came to realize that I need to develop thick skin quickly so I could probably roll my eyes and see who can do a better job (LOL)... Demonstrating courage is becoming a theme at work... I need to sale myself, which I tend to let my work speak for itself; I have told people I don't want to be the next CEO, just have a decent job, learn the industry, and see what God has for me in the future.

How do you demonstrate courage? What does courage means to you? Well, I have felt a little homesick lately, but these feelings shall pass away. I went and bought myself a basketball. I then played around with it for a while at a local park; surprisingly enough, I realized how much I miss playing sports. When I was in 6th grade, I remember getting to school at 6:30 or so to get a game in with the younger kids- those were great times... As you can see, I am wearing my sport "look" with the picture below...

Greetings from MN,
Sweetbasil

[img][img]http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/logisticsgirl55/photo7_zpse831aef6.jpg[/img][/img]

User avatar
nonrancher
Member
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:13 pm
Location: DE

Postby nonrancher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, you're looking pretty and perky I'd say.

And sounds like you're branching out, not immobilized by fear and adjusting to a different life even though it may not always be completely comfortable yet. Good for you! You haven't chickened out. Folks say it takes a year to adjust to a new job, and from my experiences, that has always seemed to be the case. Some quit without giving it a year and then miss out by caving in and reverting to their old haunts. You seem to be made of stronger stuff. :D :clap:

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: U.S.A

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:07 pm

nonrancher wrote:Well, you're looking pretty and perky I'd say.

And sounds like you're branching out, not immobilized by fear and adjusting to a different life even though it may not always be completely comfortable yet. Good for you! You haven't chickened out. Folks say it takes a year to adjust to a new job, and from my experiences, that has always seemed to be the case. Some quit without giving it a year and then miss out by caving in and reverting to their old haunts. You seem to be made of stronger stuff. :D :clap:


Hello "nonrancher,"
Thank you for your kind words. I am not as strong as I look; but the weak moments thank God come behind closed doors. At work, I give it my all and I am currently trying to really get roots in my own little corner of the world. I hope you are having a great week.

User avatar
nonrancher
Member
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:13 pm
Location: DE

Postby nonrancher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 pm

sweetbasil wrote:
nonrancher wrote:Well, you're looking pretty and perky I'd say.

And sounds like you're branching out, not immobilized by fear and adjusting to a different life even though it may not always be completely comfortable yet. Good for you! You haven't chickened out. Folks say it takes a year to adjust to a new job, and from my experiences, that has always seemed to be the case. Some quit without giving it a year and then miss out by caving in and reverting to their old haunts. You seem to be made of stronger stuff. :D :clap:


Hello "nonrancher,"
Thank you for your kind words. I am not as strong as I look; but the weak moments thank God come behind closed doors. At work, I give it my all and I am currently trying to really get roots in my own little corner of the world. I hope you are having a great week.
Even the "strong" people aren't as strong as they look!!

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27761
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Postby Faster horses » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:29 pm

As for courage, sweetbasil, you have it!! or you wouldn't be in Minnesota and away from what and who was familiar!!!!!!

Just keep hanging in there, it will get easier! (like it already has)

I like your 'sports' look! It's cute! :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: U.S.A

Postby sweetbasil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks! But, they want me to build confidence! For example, home-based manager is very impressed with the work that I Harv down or my home-based project and he said " I have no doubt in my mind that this is great" but you need to be confident in your work and don't plan the seed of a doubt in another person... Does this make sense? I just started with this company and there is a lot to learn about the culture etc... I been told my strengths are :
Execution, ability to relate well to others, collaborate, innovative, resilient and adaptable, and ability to influence and inspire others... I just wish I could be more confident now, but I know it will come in time... I just don't like to go around selling myself... My work should show what I can do...

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27761
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Postby Faster horses » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 pm

sweetbasil wrote:Thanks! But, they want me to build confidence! For example, home-based manager is very impressed with the work that I Harv down or my home-based project and he said " I have no doubt in my mind that this is great" but you need to be confident in your work and don't plan the seed of a doubt in another person... Does this make sense? I just started with this company and there is a lot to learn about the culture etc... I been told my strengths are :
Execution, ability to relate well to others, collaborate, innovative, resilient and adaptable, and ability to influence and inspire others... I just wish I could be more confident now, but I know it will come in time... I just don't like to go around selling myself... My work should show what I can do...


In a way, sweetbasil, we all market ourselves everyday. Some market themselves better than others. Some even over-market themselves. :wink:
It's just that our job doesn't depend on it. We most all doubt our ability at
some point. That's normal.
Sometimes, you just have to put on the face of confidence. :)

This was told to me once, and it helped. Maybe it will help you:

"Never, ever let 'em see you sweat." :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

User avatar
nonrancher
Member
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:13 pm
Location: DE

Postby nonrancher » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:27 am

My 2 cents:

During performance evaluations by managers they are usually directed to give some positives to their employees, but also some areas the employee can develop. Sometimes I think this is because, if they gave all positives and said everything is super great, the employee would come back and say "Then where's my raise? Where's my promotion?" It also gives the company some wiggle room later in case the employee isn't working out and they want to fire them. Then the company can say, "Well, you never developed yourself in this area despite the direction given you in your performance eval." So your manager may be splitting some hairs trying to write something that isn't really a problem with your performance.

To cover yourself, you might just accept what was said and figure out ways you can demonstrate more confidence eg. not saying anything negative about yourself or your projects. In a way, this doesn't seem like being "real," because we all have doubts. But, as Faster Horses says, if they see you sweat and doubt yourself, then they'll doubt you.


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest