Ranchers.net Bull Session

Howdy!

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
User avatar
kolanuraven
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 10830
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:53 pm

Postby kolanuraven » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:46 am

TXDirt wrote:
kolanuraven wrote:Be careful....these people bite!!!


Sit back and read the posts in ALL the forums, BEFORE you go telling all about your world.



I've been reading threads all through out this website. I've been having to keep a second tab open to google search a lot of the terminology used in the threads. However I now know what F1 means, along with a bunch of other terms!

I don't feel that I have gotten too personal on here just yet! This is my intro thread and of course I am going to post a little info on myself, that is what an intro thread is for. Don't like it, click the back button! 8)


I'm definitely an honest abe on the web, I have nothing to hide, and I've met a lot of contacts through the forums over the years so there is no reason to lie or fabricate stories to impress people on forums!

I'm republican. My entire family is republican. But you wont get any political conversation out of me. It's 99% useless banter and never gets anywhere! If you want to have a tin foil hat thread you wont see me posting in it unless it's a humorous thread with jokes or funny pics!

I understand the biting. However I can handle myself on a forum. I've learned just don't be a jackwagon when your new on a forum.


All I gave was just a warning was all. And Soapweed was right, they LOVE Republicans here...

I'm not a Rep., and they HATE little ol'me

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Postby LazyWP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:09 pm

kolanuraven wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
kolanuraven wrote:Be careful....these people bite!!!


Sit back and read the posts in ALL the forums, BEFORE you go telling all about your world.



I've been reading threads all through out this website. I've been having to keep a second tab open to google search a lot of the terminology used in the threads. However I now know what F1 means, along with a bunch of other terms!

I don't feel that I have gotten too personal on here just yet! This is my intro thread and of course I am going to post a little info on myself, that is what an intro thread is for. Don't like it, click the back button! 8)


I'm definitely an honest abe on the web, I have nothing to hide, and I've met a lot of contacts through the forums over the years so there is no reason to lie or fabricate stories to impress people on forums!

I'm republican. My entire family is republican. But you wont get any political conversation out of me. It's 99% useless banter and never gets anywhere! If you want to have a tin foil hat thread you wont see me posting in it unless it's a humorous thread with jokes or funny pics!

I understand the biting. However I can handle myself on a forum. I've learned just don't be a jackwagon when your new on a forum.


All I gave was just a warning was all. And Soapweed was right, they LOVE Republicans here...

I'm not a Rep., and they HATE little ol'me


We hate you kolo, because you are a snake, not because of your political alliance.

User avatar
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 16072
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:54 pm
Location: northern Nebraska Sandhills

Postby Soapweed » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 pm

I don't hate anyone. I might strongly disagree with some folks, but it isn't hate. That is too strong of a word, and is usually reserved for bad food like spinach or liver or anything with minestrone seasoning. :wink:

User avatar
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 21285
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Big Muddy valley
Contact:

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Soapweed wrote:I don't hate anyone. I might strongly disagree with some folks, but it isn't hate. That is too strong of a word, and is usually reserved for bad food like spinach or liver or anything with minestrone seasoning. :wink:


Your right soap. :D

I don't hate kola i just find her amusing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Avatar by Haymaker

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 4503
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:19 am
Location: SD

Postby mrj » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Welcome to ranchersnet, TXDirt. Hope we live up to your expectations, or at least provide some information you can use.

It might help if you could tell us more about your area. Such as the climate. What are your low and high temperatures in a year, rainfall, too. You probably have a long growing season, and it is more likely shortened by lack of ran than by frost as it is here in SD. Do you have problems with high winds at certain times of year, or most of the year. Hmmmmn, that is true of SD many years. In fact, I'm not sure we have a 'normal' so far as climate is concerned.

How about some photo's of your terrain, especially that "back" part you say is impossible to fence. Unless it is very rough and rock filled, it may be more difficult than impossible. Which means I believe fencing ones property is very important! Both to protect from intruders and to protect others, and their property, especially if it is raising food crops or is nicely (and expensively!) landscaped, from whatever type of livestock you get. We who raise animals for food have to face the reality of sabotage. Not high where I live, but the threat is real and growing, from those who want all uses of animals ended, especially, and 'adventurous, and mean spirited folks' may join in. Granted, in most areas of the country, the danger of sabotage isn't terribly high, but we need to be aware of it.

Have fun learning what you want to do with the land, and also success once you know.

User avatar
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 16072
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:54 pm
Location: northern Nebraska Sandhills

Postby Soapweed » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Soapweed wrote:I don't hate anyone. I might strongly disagree with some folks, but it isn't hate. That is too strong of a word, and is usually reserved for bad food like spinach or liver or anything with minestrone seasoning. :wink:


Your right soap. :D

I don't hate kola I just find her amusing. :lol: :lol: :lol:


She is "amusing," and Oldtimer is "comical." :wink:

User avatar
TXDirt
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Texas

Postby TXDirt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:11 am

mrj wrote:Welcome to ranchersnet, TXDirt. Hope we live up to your expectations, or at least provide some information you can use.

It might help if you could tell us more about your area. Such as the climate. What are your low and high temperatures in a year, rainfall, too. You probably have a long growing season, and it is more likely shortened by lack of ran than by frost as it is here in SD. Do you have problems with high winds at certain times of year, or most of the year. Hmmmmn, that is true of SD many years. In fact, I'm not sure we have a 'normal' so far as climate is concerned.

How about some photo's of your terrain, especially that "back" part you say is impossible to fence. Unless it is very rough and rock filled, it may be more difficult than impossible. Which means I believe fencing ones property is very important! Both to protect from intruders and to protect others, and their property, especially if it is raising food crops or is nicely (and expensively!) landscaped, from whatever type of livestock you get. We who raise animals for food have to face the reality of sabotage. Not high where I live, but the threat is real and growing, from those who want all uses of animals ended, especially, and 'adventurous, and mean spirited folks' may join in. Granted, in most areas of the country, the danger of sabotage isn't terribly high, but we need to be aware of it.

Have fun learning what you want to do with the land, and also success once you know.


Thanks for the welcome.

We live in the North Central part of Texas. Which means we have the bipolar weather. There is no way to really tell what our seasons are going to do. It's typically not too windy, just breezy w/ 5-15 mph winds on a typical day. The winters typically last about 2-3 months, the springs and falls can be wet, the summers are actually not too bad except for July, August, and early September.

The main reason for not fencing in the back property is just due to owning the entire creek. The creek is half ours and half the next land owners. So fencing it in could become very political (for a lack of a better term). So we just leave well enough alone, and it's only 20 acres of what is technically flood plain and dense woods.

I'll get on google earth and get a screen shot of the overall land and post it.

Here are some pictures.
This is actually a very historic piece of land for our town, because the main road going through it used to be the old pacific santa fe rail road, and at the creek is an old iron bridge. My dad owns half and the next land owner owns half. There is also an old cotton gin and a really old horse stable at the front, but we don't count them for ranching because they are fenced in on their own along the highway.
Image

Gotta get one in there of my cj5
Image

My dad and I went cruising around the property last night looking at some of the barn gates and chutes that might need a little attention.
Image

I believe this is taken from the same spot just looking a little more north.
Image

I remember when I was younger these chutes were always painted and almost no rust :(
Image

Image

User avatar
TXDirt
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Texas

Postby TXDirt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:43 am

Here is a google earth shot of the land. I went around the perimeter with red:
Image

This is the front of the property where the gin and old stable is highlighted in red, the blue is my parent's place where I grew up:
Image

I don't have any pics yet of the gin on my phone so I used google street view.

Image

User avatar
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 21285
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Big Muddy valley
Contact:

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:11 am

Interesting property lines with the curve in the road and is that a rail road on the angle?
looks like most of it is cleared off at one time.
Avatar by Haymaker



I can't tame wild women.



But I can make tame women wild.

User avatar
TXDirt
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Texas

Postby TXDirt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:22 am

Yea, it's not a normal lay out for a property like this. It used to be very well kept with no overgrowing or brush growing through the fences. It's not too bad still, but there are some areas that will have to be knocked down and cleared out. Yes, that is a railroad running along the edge of the property.

User avatar
leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 5757
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 pm
Location: Western Utah Desert

Postby leanin' H » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 am

If ya dont fence your back property line what will keep the cattle from crossing the creek? Looks like a nice piece of ground. With your interest and ambition it shouldnt take long to bring it's shine back. Kudos to you for being interested and wanting to learn. To me, that's half the battle. :D The grass looks pretty nice and if you stock it right and get the moisture ya need that ground will take just as good of care of you as you do for it. Good luck. And Welcome! :D
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

User avatar
TXDirt
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Texas

Postby TXDirt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 am

There is a fence line at the tree line, so no live stock can get into the woods or down to the creek.

That is another nice thing about this property is that everything is fenced off. If you look at the main overhead picture, you can see breaks in the land, pretty much at every break is a fence line w/ a gate.


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gilligan, mustang and 7 guests

cron