Ranchers.net Bull Session

Lunch in the shade of a tractor

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
redrobin

Lunch in the shade of a tractor

Postby redrobin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 am

Kind of like wine and horderves (sp) but tastes better

TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Lunch in the shade of a tractor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Looks great. Doctor put me on a low sodium diet this week. Pretty much eliminated my "gourmet" meals out in the field. lolol
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:39 pm

It's sure a good thing that the ingredient list on Vienna Sausages is in Mexican..........I mean Spanish. :lol: :lol:

lavacarancher

Postby lavacarancher » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:50 am

Traveler wrote:It's sure a good thing that the ingredient list on Vienna Sausages is in Mexican..........I mean Spanish. :lol: :lol:

Ingredients are lips and a$$holes. I used to eat them - not too bad.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am

My dad ran heavy equipment when I was growing up. That would be in the 50's and 60's. (Yes, he was TOUGH. No cabs or heaters in those days). He ate a lot of Vienna sausage. Mom always sent a can in his lunch bucket.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Texan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:50 am

Faster horses wrote:My dad ran heavy equipment when I was growing up. That would be in the 50's and 60's. (Yes, he was TOUGH. No cabs or heaters in those days). He ate a lot of Vienna sausage. Mom always sent a can in his lunch bucket.

FH, do you still have that picture of your dad that you posted a few years ago? The one of him working in Alaska? That was a great shot, and you're right - the conditions he worked in meant he had to be plenty tough. Those tough old guys like your dad would think we're all a bunch of spoiled sissies now.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:30 am

I do have that picture, of course I do!! :D

I will try and post it here. So nice that you remembered.

He said he was the first one to "punch a hole in that rock." Someone asked him, "weren't you scared?" Dad's answer was "If you were scared you shouldn't have been there." I don't think much in the way of operating machinery scared him. He truly was a bit of a legend.
I did hear they named a falls in Alaska after him. Not sure that is true, but it was supposed to be.

I wish I could remember how long it took him to make the road from where he was to the creek way below. And I wish I had
listened to more of his stories.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Faster horses wrote:My dad ran heavy equipment when I was growing up. That would be in the 50's and 60's. (Yes, he was TOUGH. No cabs or heaters in those days). He ate a lot of Vienna sausage. Mom always sent a can in his lunch bucket.

I ran a lot of dozer with no cabs as well. Used to pack part of my lunch wrapped in tinfoil or canned and set it on the manifold for a period of time and have a nice hot lunch. Sometimes have a little fire and cook some smokies.
No hotter machine than a D8K in the winter time, even 40 below. Fan on suck, I'd take my boots off but leave the felts on my feet so the pedals wouldn't burn my feet. Afraid to move my mouth for fear my lips would split. But they would anyway. If you turned the engine fan around you'd freeze to death in minutes so I'd take the heat!

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Faster horses wrote:I do have that picture, of course I do!! :D

He said he was the first one to "punch a hole in that rock." Someone asked him, "weren't you scared?" Dad's answer was "If you were scared you shouldn't have been there." I don't think much in the way of operating machinery scared him. He truly was a bit of a legend.
I did hear they named a falls in Alaska after him. Not sure that is true, but it was supposed to be.

I wish I could remember how long it took him to make the road from where he was to the creek way below. And I wish I had

That is a great pic.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Silver wrote:
Faster horses wrote:I do have that picture, of course I do!! :D

That is a great pic.

Thank you. I treasure it. He was a master at his trade.
After he retired different companies called him out to help with projects. He hated giving up operating, but his body
had taken quite a beating after years of running big equipment. He especially loved running D8's and doing blade work (road grader).
Those were his specialty. He wouldn't run rubber-tired equipment. He could smooth out like glass just using his eye.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Awesome picture! Looks like a LOOOOOONG ways down!

Texan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 am

That's the one I was thinking about, FH. Great shot - thanks for sharing that again.

Return to “Coffee Shop”