Ranchers.net Bull Session

Fightless Friday, How 'bout some good recipes??

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:26 pm

Ok Hanta, here are two. One is a simple marinade to drizzle on salmon.

2 TB Dijon mustard
3 TB soy sauce
6 TB olive oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic

Cut 3 lbs salmon into 6 pieces. Drizzle on half the above mixture and let sit 10 min. Discard used marinade and grill fish 4-5 min.per side. Salmon will be slightly raw in center but keeps cooking as it sits. Transfer to a plate skin side down and spoon remaining marinade on top allowing fish to rest 10 min. Can serve it hot /rm temp/ cold.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:53 pm

Hanta Yo wrote:C'mon you guys! Can I see some yummy recipes??? Whole point of this thread!!! I love to share my best. There was a person who had a "secret family recipe" she wasn't about to give out. What a stingy person! (Besides, I could probably figure out my own recipe that tastes the same). My joy is in sharing my favorites and maybe they would become yours, and vice-versa.

be watching in the morning, hanta yo!!! :wink: :wink:
have a few of them up my sleeve!!! hope ya like hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes, swiss steak and choco-oat-no-bake cookies :D :D
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:06 am

My dgt-in-law gave me a Classic Chess Pie which was delicious. Then an 85 yr old West Virginia friend gave me a recipe for Chess Squares which tasted somewhat similar but was quicker to put together (no pie shell). Here it is and hope you like it. If anybody wants the Classic recipe I'll post it as well.

Chess Squares
use a 13 by 9 inch pan (glass works best to check if burning)
1 Box yellow or lemon supreme cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup Butter softened. Don't add any liquid. Just mix the above and spread in greased pan pressing it to make crust. Then top with below:

Topping: 3 eggs and 8 oz. cream cheese and one (16 oz. confectioners 4x sugar= 3 3/4 cups 4x sugar)
Optional: can add coconut or nuts and lemon zest I like the coconut and the lemon zest gives it a really fresh taste
Pour over crust and bake 350 degrees for 35-45 min. making sure crust doesn't burn.
Chill before cutting.

M Gravlee
WebMaster
WebMaster

Postby M Gravlee » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:37 am

Chili is one of the few things I can cook, it's even better with vinison.

Fire House Chili

1 T. vegetable oil
1½ lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes
2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans
8 oz. tomato sauce
¼ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. oregano
¼ tsp. ground red pepper

Heat oil in skillet and brown meat. Add onion and cook until tender. Drain off fat and put meat and onions into large pot. Add all remaining ingredients. Mix well and simmer uncovered ½ hour. Taste and adjust seasonings. Simmer covered 1½ more hours.

Works great with vinison also!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:04 am

Macon-you are on a beef board telling us your chili recipie tastes 'BETTER WITH VENISON'?

NO WAY!!!

And shame on you!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:44 pm

The Rodel canned tomatoes have the hot peppers in them which to me makes the Boss' chili what it is. Regular ol' canned tomatoes won't match it.

sw
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sw » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:52 pm

Don't tell anyone, but I probably cook at least half of the meals around here. I started cooking stuff when I was a kid, good food is hard to beat. I used to get home on the bus about an hour and a half before my mom would get home and after I fed the steers, chopped the wood, took out the garbage, I would make something for dessert because I knew that if I did not do it, there would not be anything as she would not have the time. When I grew up, I was dumb enough to marry the wicked witch of the west and ended up raising two kids by myself, so I had to cook. Could not afford to buy much, raised most of it and killed the rest. What was that about being a redneck? Anyway, here is one of the best recipes, especially when the zucchini bandits leave a bunch of them in your car while your in the store. I have to think about quantities, I also hate cleaning up so use as few tools as possible in the kitchen.

ZUCCHINI SUPREME
2 -3 lbs zucchini sliced
4-5 bacon strips chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 /2 lb mozzarella cheese sliced

In a large skillet, on medium heat, cook the bacon and the onion until the bacon is getting crisp and the onion becomes translucent, stirring every once in a while so it is mixed up. Add the zucchini slices, cover, and let it cook, turning with a spatula about every five minutes. Try to mix the bacon and onion through out the zucchini. When the zucchini is all starting to get soft and cooked, put the cheese slices on the top, cover and let sit for about five minutes until the cheese is melted.

This is so easy and it is very good. I have actually gotten a craving for this stuff and bought zucchini at the store. Imagine that :lol: :lol: :lol:
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE. FREEDOM IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY THE BRAVE SO THE FREE CAN BE FREE.

sw
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sw » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:17 pm

Just thought of another one that you will not find in a book.

Spanish Eggs

Spray a skillet with Pam or lightly oil it. Place whole chiles that have been seeded in the skillet. Use the whole ones, I think they come in an 8 oz. can or something like that, we grow our own, and roast them so I am not sure. Cover the chiles with water, about a half inch deep. Bring the water to a boil and break eggs over the chiles. Squirt catsup/ketchup or salsa over the eggs, cover and let them cook until desired doneness. These are basically poached eggs with chiles, hard to beat. Use a slotted spoon or spatula, get the eggs and chiles out of the water, and on the plate. These are good for mornin noon and night and they only take about five minutes. If the chiles are hot, use less of them, if they are mild use a lot of them. We have gone through a dozen eggs for just the three of us!! :wink:
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE. FREEDOM IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY THE BRAVE SO THE FREE CAN BE FREE.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:57 pm

sw, your zuccinni recipe and it reminded me of a simple one that we like real well.

In a deep-type microwave dish, put in potato pieces, (red with skins or yukon golds work best), pieces of zuccinni, slices of onion and tomato.
Add cheese (I use a good brand of American because the other cheese I have tried tends to curddle) and microwave till ingredients are cooked the way you like them. Sometimes I zap the potatoes for a bit before I add all the other ingredients. You can't believe how fresh this tastes, especially if everything came from your own garden!! Leave out the tomatoes if you don't care for tomatoes~you can add a little cream if you so desire.

It's really good even if the ingredients came from the grocery store!!

Has anyone made SCRAPPLE? My husbands grandmother used to make it and we really liked it. You take a pork head, cut in pieces, (I use a pork roast, but it doesn't have enough fat) season it, and boil it till done. Save the broth, grind the meat. Use an equal amount of oatmeal as you have meat. Add oatmeal, meat, more seasoning if desired, to the broth. Stir up and place in bread pans and bake in oven until fat comes to the surface. Cool, cut off fat (lard). Wrap in tinfoil and keep in refrigerator. For breakfast, slice, turn in flour and pan fry until crisp.

I was wondering if anyone had a little different type recipe. The pork roast doesn't have enough fat to come to the top when baking, so the loaf is a little drier than what Grandmother made. I suppose there are other things head meat vs. roast that makes it different too. We do like it real well even with roast pork. I have never made it with head meat.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:10 am

sw....don't worry, my friend....your secret about being the cook is safe with us :wink: gonna have to try those eggs as my 17 year old LOVES chiles!

now, my turn:
TACO SOUP
2# hamburger
2 small cans (or 1 large can) tomatoes (with chiles)
half an onion...chopped fine
3 cans kidney beans (your choice dark or light)
frozen corn (add what you want)
taco seasoning (to taste)

brown meat and onions and add the rest...add taco seasoning to your desired "spiciness"
top with shredded taco cheese or sour cream or olives, etc.....just like you would with tacos
my family also uses the soft taco shells to "dip" in the soup...this is a family favorite on cold days when mom has hamburger to cook and not much in the way of ideas on what to do with it!! :D

CHOCO-OAT NO-BAKE COOKIES

2cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup milk
dash of salt
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups of quick oats
1/2 cup cocoa
combine sugar, butter, and milk in a sauce pan..bring to a boil and boil for 4 minutes or until soft ball stage. Add the salt, vanilla, oats, cocoa and stir. Drop the mixture by spoonfuls onto wax paper and let cool. My littlest ones love making this with mama!! super easy...a friend of mine adds peanutbutter and coconut....mmmmm! gonna have to try!!

anyone out there have any "original" ideas for some really good meatballs!!! hubby's 39th birthday today and am trying to find something "different" to fix!! will keep checking today!

thank you and have a good one!!!
kris

Never forget!

Turkey Track Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Turkey Track Bar » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:17 am

Everyone!

Thanks so much for posting the great sounding recipes, I can hardly wait to try some of them out. Especially thanks to Faster Horses for the biscuit recipe, and to MRJ for her added suggestion to the recipe. I was raised at about 8,000 feet elevation and all of the "high altitude" recipes I was raised with just don't work here in the Dakota Prairie!

Tomorrow evening or Friday morning I will post recipes for some of my favorites--

Hey Hanta Yo, can you post Corky Corgis favorite dog treat recipe? We need a "dog" flavor in this post too!

Take care, thanks for all the good sounding stuff (I'm gaining yield grades just thinking about digging into some new good desserts), cheers and TTFN ("ta ta for now" Pooh bear)--

TTB

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:23 am

speaking of "high altitude"....does anyone out there have a recipe for German Pancakes (at least, that was what my mom called them)....when we lived in vancouver, my mom made these all the time and we loved them, but we were never able to get the recipe "right" with our altitude here!! sure do miss them....thin crepe like batter, poured into a cast iron pan and baked in the oven...came out fluffy and delicious with butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice!!
sure hope one of you can help me outf!!
thanks for your time
kris

Never forget!

Return to “Coffee Shop”