Ranchers.net Bull Session

Calving headaches!

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Calving headaches!

Postby mrj » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:35 pm

Does anyone have any reasons for backward calves? Or has this been discussed previously?

So far, we have had five out of about 40 hiefers calved. Don't think we have had much of it before, but not unknown, either.

Not sure how many we have saved, but took one to the vet for a C-section today and the calf is ok.

Cows aren't due to start till (appropriately!) April 1. Already getting a few, and hiefers started a couple of weeks early, too.

MRJ
MRJ

jigs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jigs » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:20 pm

brother in law had the same problem.........his cure was to sell the black cows.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:10 pm

jigs wrote:brother in law had the same problem.........his cure was to sell the black cows.

Now whats he got cancer eye,prolapses,pinkeye,foot rot,light calves,Just wondering..

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:17 pm

MRJ;
Sorry to hear about the problem. Tell Shorty to buy bulls that aren't a^^ backwards and they'll quit puttin' them in backwards! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I was told it is because the calf is to big for the size of the cow so can't get turned over for the birth. Don't know if it's true, but I ain't never had to pull a real small backwards calf, but probably other will come on and tell me that they have!

Way to solve the problem is to run yearlings! Never have to pull calves then! :lol:

Hope you get them all straightened out!
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:31 pm

MRJ, I feel for you. Last year we had five. and four so far this year. And they were all sizes. I wondered about this before too, I was told it has a lot to do with how they're handled as they get close to calving. I call bull****. I was also told it was hereditary, which I'm more inclined to believe. We've saved all ours so far, touch wood! I wish you the best of luck with the rest. Hopefully there won't be anymore.

Cal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cal » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi MRJ,

I was wondering if this change in the weather got your calving season off and running. I think backwards calves are just luck of the draw, and sometimes when it rains it pours, just like an occasional rash of twins. Oddly enough this year we've only had one that was in breech position as well, and no prolapses. Probably spoke too soon :? Good luck!

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:56 am

Our cows calve pretty much unattended so don't hardly ever see a backwards calf I imagine they just are having them because I'm sure there are some.

Juan

Postby Juan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:50 am

Denny wrote:
jigs wrote:brother in law had the same problem.........his cure was to sell the black cows.

Now whats he got cancer eye,prolapses,pinkeye,foot rot,light calves,Just wondering..

Have been reading on here about prolapse problems,seems to be the black cow people!
The last two cows we sewed on this place were BLACK.Have calved many hundreds of Hereford scince--no problem.Eye problems are rare also!
Juan

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 am

Juan wrote:
Denny wrote:

Have been reading on here about prolapse problems,seems to be the black cow people!
The last two cows we sewed on this place were BLACK.Have calved many hundreds of Hereford scince--no problem.Eye problems are rare also!

Yea and my neighbor who's a hereford man has had pinkeye bad every summer for the last 3 years even after a pink eye shot.Also he's always treating foot rot.In ten years I have only had 1 case of footrot and it was on a HEREFORD BULL.Ishipped my last hereford cow a few years agoshe weighed 1250#s and weaned a 400# calf every year.I have one little black cow she weighe 900#s and weans 500#s.Now the cancer eye I have never had a case in my cows in ten years the hereford neighbor has at least one a year if not more.I have had 2 cows prolapse here both were black baldy's from my HEREFORD BULL.

baling wire

Postby baling wire » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:10 am

Two years ago had five backwards.Asked my vet and was told it was luck of the draw. This year have had the seound of a set of twins and one out of a heifer come backwords. Both small so no problems.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:20 am

Many breech calves do not live because the head may not exit fully and cause asphyxiation. My neighbor had a set of twins that were both breech, with rear legs forward, we got them both and both lived. I think it's the luck of the draw too.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:35 am

Five years ago I traded 53 Angus and cross-bred pregnant fall calving cows straight across for 53 two-year-old Hereford heifers with Hereford calves at their side. With a 100% calf crop assured, I thought, how can I go wrong on a deal like this? The Hereford calves didn't amount to too much, but being the fact they were Herefords, I didn't expect any different. The Hereford cows were pretty nice, and I bred them to two real nice Angus bulls, figuring the next year's calves would be dandies. They weren't too "bad", but when the dust settled on the next year's calf sales, these good baldy calves out of these three-year-old cows weren't nearly as good as the calves out of our first-calf Angus heifers. Our Angus heifers' calves mostly sold with our older cows' calves. The baldy calves out of the Hereford cows just didn't go with the bunch, and sold as a lighter cut.

To add insult to injury, three of these good Montana-bred Hereford cows prolapsed, three of the cows (not necessarily the same three) died because of "photosynthesis" grazing on meadow aftergrowth, and three more were culled because of cancer eyes. Quite a few came up open the second fall, so were turned into fall calvers. The good bred cows bred to calve the next spring I sold, and later on I sold the cows bred to calve the following fall. I had to sell these cows to save my marriage (tongue-in-cheek)(but not clear in, LOL!).

I can't say I learned a lesson, because I had learned this years ago. It was just an expensive lesson "re-learned". Sorry if a tad bit of bitterness has crept into my spiel.

The reason for our good black cow prolapsing a few days ago was because she had a real big calf, and we were negligent in our calving duties. The calf lived. He was born big, and he will be big when we sell him.

Return to “Ranch Talk”