Ranchers.net Bull Session

Wheeewwwwwww

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Shelly wrote:Baling wire, what a story! Made me laugh but good! Now for all you black cattle folk, why do you people put yourselves through all those fun and games?!? Gotta love herefords, the worst ours'll do is maybe lick you. The ones that are part simmental, well they generally behave themselves too. The worst ones you just have to show them the "stick" and they get the message that they'd better behave themselves.

Iwent to the salebarn today and the black calves were bringing 10 to 20 cents a lb. more than the herfords reason enough and the heifer was a black baldy.

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:05 pm

Is your life worth 10-20 cents a pound?

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:29 pm

Heck, we have had Hereford cows take us. Not all Herefords are gentle. Most, but not all. In fact, we got into some Hereford bulls that would take a horse! The heifers out of those bulls were not gentle either. And it was not the way they were handled, it was the way they WERE!! I remember the guys having to head and heel a bull that kept taking them. They were just driving the bulls to a different pasture and a couple of them really got on the fight.

Our black cows don't give us any problem. We weed 'em out early and have had no problems for quite a few years. We buy gentle bulls for the most part. If they wind up not being gentle, they are GONE!!

When selecting replacement heifers, we put them in the alleyway by themselves and observe how they act. The ones that get excited, run with their nose on the fence or try to go under a gate get put in the sale pen. Luckily we don't have many of them. The last ones were out of sons of EXT. The bulls themselves were gentle, but the bad dispositions sure showed up in those heifers. That is the closest we ever got to using EXT bloodlines and we got rid of them fast.

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:06 pm

Boy, can we relate to EXT!!! Also Lucy's Boy. On the Gelbvieh side, Awesome. Got my right thumb dislocated by an awesome wench.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Shelly wrote:Is your life worth 10-20 cents a pound?

Heck it was'nt a color deal any breed can do that.You could'nt sell me a hereford for love or money been around those dumb SOBs.We helped my neighbor work his last spring had to get behind each one and push to get them up the alley.Well I helped him bangs vaccinate this winter and those heifers were as dumb as the cows no thanks damn farmer cows.......

Is my life worth 10-20 cents a # no but I will have the money plus the extra #s and not the aggrivation that black baldy was probaly discusted with the hereford in her and took it out on me..

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:28 pm

Not if one takes you out....permanently. There's a place for cows like that. It's called a slaughter plant.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:02 pm

Shelly wrote:Not if one takes you out....permanently. There's a place for cows like that. It's called a slaughter plant.

Wish that heifer was on pasture 3 years ago when the timber wolves came calling.......

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Last fall when we sold calves....for some reason I ended up with the hotshot instead of a sortin stick...I was usin it like a sortin stick...one black calf refused to go in the chute..ran him around the corral 40 dozen times...that last loop he made tho..he decided I needed up close n personal with the sucker rod corral fence...along with stealin my hotshot...it got crossed up tween his legs n ended up smackin my son up side the head with the battery pack end of it...first time I ever heard him swear...hahahaha
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Ohh I don't think any one breed has a monopoly on starchy cows so you Hereford breeders can quit being so self rightous lol. We calve lots of cows on the grass and they aren't near as protective as they are in a pen. I rope most of them off a horse than just tie them with a pigging string while I make the tag up. The worst cow I've ever owned was a Gelbvieh X with a Black Simmy being not far behind lol. We've even had the odd Hereford show some interest lol.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 am

I usually know which cows will get in you're pocket, so I tag those waspy cow's calves on day 2 or 3 and they're mucho calmer. Also when ol Nelly is berrring up in your face I feel like if I resist the temptation to swat her away she usually won't come on and wool me. On plain old waspy cows, I drive my pickup up next to the target calf with my drivers door away from the pair. then slip under the pickup and drag new baby under there and do your business.

Cal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:40 am

Oldtimer wrote:denny- I went this year and bought one of those calf poles--look like an old sheep hook on an extendable pole... Before that I always just roped the ones that I couldn't catch by hand and always had calves bellering around and cows snorting and bellering while tagging--But the main reason I got the pole was to get those calves away from a cow on the fight- get them in the corral and just hook the little bugger and drag him over to or out under the corral....Used it the other day on a chilled calf that momma didn't want me to put in the hot barn....Worked great- and after he had a couple hours of heat I just slipped him thru the gate to his momma......

OT, with a little practice you can catch a pretty good sized and fast calf off a 4 wheeler using one of those poles if you need to catch one to treat it or something. Lock in the 4WD for stability while you're chasing 'em. I've been doing it for years.

Rowdy Ranch

Postby Rowdy Ranch » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:47 am

We have had one those calf catch poles for several yrs.-have at least two around here.Great to get calves away from over protective cows and also since we cannot rope very good-works great to catch calves if need treated-works pretty good up to 200 lb calves. One severe cold night a mean cow calved and only way to get the calf from her was to back the pickup near her and hook calf and real it in like a fish. Is calving going pretty good for everyone? We are basically done and so far go good.

Return to “Ranch Talk”