Ranchers.net Bull Session

Who branded early?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Puncher81

Who branded early?

Postby Puncher81 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:05 pm

Who branded

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:12 pm

still 2 feet of snow up in this water shed for idaho barley and spuds.... still got a few cows to calve yet... but did finish shovel the snow off the last round bale stacks today...

Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:36 pm

Just finished Friday, branded and freeze branded 38 replacement hiefers.
Picked a great day for it temps in the 60's and no wind, which is damn strange for SD.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:33 am

the hubby has already been to 3 brandings in the valley and many more to come in the next week or so....ours will probably be more toward the end of the month :D :D ......welcome aboard puncher!!!
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:53 am

Heck mine aren't born yet lol.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:23 pm

Got them done saturday! Nice day, not too hot, not too cold, not too windy - we must be living right :) Will still have the stragglers to do. Synchronized the heifers and are heat detecting on the cows. Turned the other bunch out. Have gotten 1 1/2 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks :!: :!: Yippee. And most amazing of all, we have irrigating water already. Usually are begging for it in april and our pond was full by march 24th! Better enjoy while we have it :wink: Good luck all

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:50 pm

nicky-love your avatar..

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks, isn't she cute? :-)

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:00 pm

We branded 115 calves today, which took most of the afternoon. Saddletramp, Mrs. Soapweed, and I were the crew, and our sophomore son helped later in the day. Until he came along after school, the average age of the other three of us was fifty. We used our new "invention", and used horses to rope and drag the calves until their hind legs were secured about four feet off the ground. Then it was fairly easy to brand, vaccinate (2 shots), Synovex, castrate, and brand horns if needed.

I suppose we could have done the job faster with a calf table, but this way was more fun. It was challenging to always catch both hind feet for the system to work. It's probably not too big of an accomplishment for four people to brand 115 calves in an afternoon. On the other hand, putting things into perspective, if a crew of forty people branded 1150 calves in an afternoon, that would be considered a pretty fair undertaking. Anyway, we had fun and were pleased with the way our invention performed.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:15 pm

I was wondering if you got your invention put together and when you would be using it. What did you use to hold the rope? Glad to hear it worked and maybe post a picture sometime. I think it was even today I was wondering to myself while out riding thru the cows. We are just getting started so have lots of work ahead of us. It was 80 degrees today almost to hot for this time of year.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

baling wire

Postby baling wire » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:55 am

The wife and I did 85 head yesterday along with pregguarding their mommas. Will do the last two bunches next weak.Would be nice to be young again as we were both hurting by night. We gave up on the commuity brandings about six years ago because of the finding help problem and sorry cant make it to yours problem.

seed stock

Branding

Postby seed stock » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:35 pm

We are planning on branding about 200 head saterday. I've got a pretty good crew lined up. We quit the branding table about five years ago. People seem to like a good o'l fashion branding. In the past we would bring the herd to the corrals for branding, (this proved to be the hard part of the day)what with calves cutting back etc. Found it alot easier to take the portabals to the cows. we have not branding in the same place very often . This is a little early for us. I"m really trying to do my part to make it rain. Thought if I start this branding bussiness early enough we could get half a dozen storms by June :wink: We are the driest any old timers can remember. If any buddy has to much water send it are way. :-) P.S. thats some were in the middle of montana :!:

Return to “Ranch Talk”