Ranchers.net Bull Session

Selling Bulls / buying bulls

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:09 pm

Katrina, I've got it narrowed down to either:

1-Silver Creek High Rise, or,
2-Silver Creek High Guy, a son of the above.

Either way this semen is old and may be wanted by some show people. I am waiting for an e-mail on it and will check to see what it's worth. If you want to sell it you may have to have a straw checked. How many you have? Mike
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:37 pm

Well for the commercial cattle rancher like ourselves....EPD's mean alot but aren't what our operation is based on... I have grade bulls...and I buy strictly on looks . If I dont like the look of a bull.....he aint ridin in my trailer. If you have an eye for cattle you know what ya like. I do however when looking for a bull..go take a look at his sire and dam if possible, and see what kinda calves are on the ground at that time from them. One of the bulls I have now (that I concider my "top" bull) is paperless. His sire was papered. But that still doesn't matter to me. I've been to several Ranches that raise nothing but registered stock and can't find anything that compares with this bull. Same goes for horses, ya can't ride papers. Not that some of em aren't extremely good horses....but there are also some extremely good horses that dont have papers....
I"ve been asked by several surrounding ranches ...when are you gonna start selling your heifers at replacement sales?.....so in a way I think that speaks for itself.
Just my 2 cents worth..
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:01 pm

Mike, I (think) there is only one straw, but I've got other canes I need to sort out. My book says I have 10 straws. I'll give it to you just to get rid of it, if you pay the postage. I'll get my honey to help me, It's hard to hold the light, pull seman and write.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:52 pm

Katrina, I love your avatar!!!

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks F.H.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:44 pm

Mrs. Soapweed and I went on a bull buying expedition today. A friend who raises good commercial Angus cattle sold me some yearling bulls last year. (Actually I traded him a black "Cormorant" horse for one and bought five others.) This year he had seven more for sale. We met him in Valentine, and paid his asking price of a thousand dollars apiece. They look to be of good quality, and not overfed. We probably paid a dollar per pound. We will use them this summer, and sell them when the breeding season is over in mid August. Rent should be pretty cheap when the dust settles, and my cows have no idea if their male consorts are highly pedigreed or not. :wink:

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:58 am

We used to have registered and commercial cattle but ran them all the same here in the high desert. We never showed or did much promoting, and there are 3 well known Hereford within 50 miles of us and many more within easy "bull sale" distance. We quit registering about 5 years ago, and don't have single sire groups very often. We still AI (did 65 this year) however. Since we have lived here we've only sold bulls to one neighbor, and he doesn't care if they have papers or not. He's buying 4 this year, we get $1800.00 for them, they are Feb 04 bulls.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:26 am

Nicky I was out to Alberta this weekend and got a look at my new bull again-he was wintered on 5 lbs of oats/day plus slage/straw at a 50-50 ratio-he looks great-they gonna ultrasound him the end of the months -I think he'll do great-just drooling thinking of those baldie heifers he'll make lol.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:33 am

Nicky,

I roped with Bob Harrel at a feedlot roping once. We placed pretty good. You folks also have some pretty good Angus Breeders in your area.

I bought a yearling from a friend last year in a spot. Not registered, but I needed one and the price was ok. All last year I didn't like him and neither did my wife. I attributted some of it to him not being fed like a bull selling operation would. Well, another freind came by and asked why the heck I didn't like this bull. Looked at him again and he kind of blossomed as a two year old and on my feding program.

The wife still has memories of this bulls herding tendecies (I say heck, at least I know he's covering the cows) and him climbing over some Wyatt Feeder panels to get into a stack. I've gotten rid of those short panels and replace with taller ones, no problems now,

PPRM
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Return to “Ranch Talk”