Ranchers.net Bull Session

branding day!

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:22 pm

We clip the spot just where we brand. All went well, and everybody came out with no injuries, to speak of. Best friend got kicked once in the leg. I have a question, though. Isn't Soapweed's invention somewhat on the same principle as a tipping table? He snubs up their legs and so do we on the table. We didn't have to castrate, because we banded, so we just branded and vaccinated for blackleg. Calves were in and out in less than two minutes. The most stress they had was being seperated from their mommas.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:49 pm

Shelly;
If you are putting a rope on the backleg you are doing about the same as a calf fork, only you have a table with a head ketch or something to hold the front end and a calf fork is attched to a pin in the ground and the head of the calf.

Of course you don't have to have a horse to ketch the calves with your system, but with Soapweeds invention or something of it's type, you don't have to push calves down a chute and can even leave the cows with the calves if you want too, unless some are maybe too good of mothers! :lol:

Whatever works and you like, is probably the best way.

I do have a neighbor who went back to roping and dragging calves after he got a knife stuck in his hand, while casterating on a calf table. But I suppose that could happen with any way you branded calves. I've sure cut my thumb and finger quite a few times whiule casterating! But I'm kind of a klutz! And the skin always has grown back. :lol:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

the real jake

Postby the real jake » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:54 pm

Shelly, I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I sure would never put down anything you do. I am glad your day went well, as branding can be fun, but also a good job to have out of the way. You add a lot to this board! Seriously.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:02 pm

Speaking of cutting your fingers while castrating, I knew an old Reservation cowboy that cut his left point finger clear off while castrating a two-year-old colt. That is the trouble with too sharp of a knife. Being a frugal fellow, he retained the finger and made a key chain out of it.

A while later, his daughter who was in the fourth grade, told her classmates about her dad's fine finger key chain. She came home that evening and lamented, "Dad, they don't believe me." He retorted, "Take the darned thing to school with you and show them." She did, and after that, they believed her.

After the incident, he always wore his glove with the left index finger turned inside out. He was a colorful cowboy, and later died while horseback from a gunshot wound to his back.

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:23 pm

the real jake wrote:Shelly, I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I sure would never put down anything you do. I am glad your day went well, as branding can be fun, but also a good job to have out of the way. You add a lot to this board! Seriously.

I never took offense at all. You were trying to explain the clippers to rancher, and throwing in a little comedy for good measure. And you're right about it being fun, it's alot of good conversation and good laughs. As long as everything goes smooth, it's almost a stress reliever. Glad it's over, though, my legs and feet are aching. Last five calves aren't getting branded, they're either too young to do or aren't born yet!

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:42 pm

After the incident, he always wore his glove with the left index finger turned inside out. He was a colorful cowboy, and later died while horseback from a gunshot wound to his back.[/quote]

Sure, sure Soapweed. Keep us in suspense!!!! :mad: :evil: :wink:

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:49 pm

He was just riding across a pasture looking for any cattle that might be his, in a herd that had been gathered by his neighbor. He had announced his intentions of what he was going to do, and the neighbor told him not to. He said he believed he'd do it anyway. He shouldn't have. :(

3words

Postby 3words » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:53 pm

I also enjoy branding season Shelly.It's a good day to spend some quality time with the loved ones,and close friends.It can end up being a lot of fun.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Soapweed;

Thanks for "the rest of the story".

I'll bet he never did that again! :wink:

Might be a lesson there for all of us. :shock:

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:57 pm

Didn't anyone besides me catch the typo (or perhaps it was a pun of some type) in Jinglebob's post of 12:24 where he mentioned Soapweed used a "snubbing poet"...

Would that snubbing poet be Saddle Tramp, Jinglebob?

Sorry, couldn't resist. BOBL!!!

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 pm

Faster;
Well I'll be danged. I made a mistake! Surely it must be my first one! :shock: :lol:

And I am sure that Saddletramp wouldn't be a "snubbing poet" tho' I have heard him do a little complaining, in private! :lol:

Saddletramp

Postby Saddletramp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:38 am

Hey, Hey, Hey,....... You guys just have to keep it up till you drag in an innocent third party don't you. :D
Helped a neighbor brand yesterday. Gathered some rough choppys in a souppy fog. Couldn't see nothing but the count came out right at the correls so we didn't miss any. Some fellers from the kansas flatlands sorta got their compass turned the wrong way a time or two but we had a good time. Good cowboys, Good horses and Good stories.

Heard a good nordfork branding story while I was there...... They were branding some where's with nordforks and a calf pulled the stake out of the ground. Went to windmilling through the fire and crew wearing the dang thing and by the time the riot was queuled, they had an injured calf, a lame horse and a cold cocked cowboy that caught the stake in his hat while he was wearing it.... Accidents happen no matter how we do it folks. It's a part of our life. Here's hoping we all have a safe branding season. :wink:
A good wife, one good horse and a pickup that runs!

Return to “Ranch Talk”