Ranchers.net Bull Session

Who do you think is some of the best Seedstock producers?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
BRG
Rancher
Rancher

Who do you think is some of the best Seedstock producers?

Postby BRG » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:47 pm

I think Lindscov-Theil has to be on that list.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:11 pm

I have heard that as well, though I don't know anything about their operation. Probably Sitz Angus should be included.

jigs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jigs » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:24 pm

Jigs Creek Herefords ought to be on that list !

(shameless self promoting plug)

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:41 pm

F-R Angus, Hussar, Alta without a doubt most practically run Horned Hereford and Angus cattle I've ever run across.

smalltime

Postby smalltime » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:46 pm

Bub Nunn Milescity Mont.

the real jake

Postby the real jake » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:51 pm

The N-Bar ranch, when Tom Elliot owned it. Jim Austin was the manager. That was a shame that great old ranch got sold and the cattle let go. They had the whole package. Moderate frame size, calving ease, and carcass among others. They might be a little wilder than some Angus, but the rest made up for it.

Also, our new source for calving ease bulls, but I'm not letting that one out, as they already cost too much without more competition. :D They made my spring pretty easy so far.

mn

Postby mn » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:16 pm

My choice - Wulf Limousin Morris Mn

passin thru
Rancher
Rancher

Postby passin thru » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Cooper Herefords, Willow Creek
Holden Herefords, Valier

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:41 pm

Crittendon Bros., Imperial, Sask., polled herefords

Johner Stock Farm, Maidstone, Sask., raise herefords and black anguses

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:41 pm

Our very own Jason Trowbridge is an oldschool breeder. Despite his youth, JT understands Angus pedigrees and performance lineages that epds still can't replicate. I know plenty of good Angus breeders, and epds sure help, but Jason has a chance to be an artist of the breed like Walter Merric is with Quarter Horses.

This board is amazing in that there are some really talented guys willing to share their knowledge. I could name names, but that's not my purpose. But watch what happens when someone asks Jason Trowbridge " my blacks are bred xyz, what do you think about abc breeding exposure."

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:53 pm

"Who do you think is some of the best seedstock producers"

Not being sarcastic at all..............

Best at what? Customer service? Feeding the best bull ration? Best at promotion? Using the best AI Genetics? Best at picking the correct matings for their cowherd? Best at building a sale facility? Best at hiring a herdsman? Best at being a likable guy? Best at getting the bulls ready for the sale?

Having a seedstock producer you trust is the most important thing. Probably the best way to buy a bull is to call that one guy, tell him what kind of calves you want to have, and tell him your price range - then tell him to deliver your new bull - sight unseen. Nobody knows bulls better than the man that raised him cause he knows the cow families. He won't bring you a bad bull because he wants your business next year and the year after. If you don't trust him enough to do that you are dealing with the wrong guy.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 pm

Good post Mike, agree with you 100%. Trust is #1. I build my customer base one person at a time. First thing out of my mouth is to ask what goals the person has in mind, or what they want to improve in their herd. I am a straight shooter and will let you know if I can supply your needs, and if I can't, I will give you the names of people who can....regardless of their breed...although the Hereford people do tend to get mentioned first. :P Most people either have very vague goals or none at all, so it's usually not hard to please them.

Return to “Ranch Talk”