Ranchers.net Bull Session

AI Sires?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
the real jake

Postby the real jake » Sun May 01, 2005 10:10 am

We bought two bulls at the Sinclair sale yesterday. I didn't go myself, so I can't tell you a lot about the cattle in general. We purchased bulls in the last three years of the original N-Bar, and I love 'em. These cattle are the nucleus of the original N-Bar herd, with some Sinclair breeding thrown in. The bulls that had higher birthweights were harder to sell it seems. They got down in the 1500 dollar range, but they did have a good sale. The bull I wanted and liked on paper brought 37,500 dollars. They had an own son of Emulation 31 for sale, but don't know what he brought.

My goal is not to raise the heaviest calves in the country, but I do want the most profitable ones. The offspring from these bulls grow like weeds, and the cows hardly have to lay down in order to have a calf.

On cold raw days like these, angus really shine. It's barely over freezing with our usual strong wind.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun May 01, 2005 10:28 am

the real jake wrote:We bought two bulls at the Sinclair sale yesterday. I didn't go myself, so I can't tell you a lot about the cattle in general. We purchased bulls in the last three years of the original N-Bar, and I love 'em. These cattle are the nucleus of the original N-Bar herd, with some Sinclair breeding thrown in. The bulls that had higher birthweights were harder to sell it seems. They got down in the 1500 dollar range, but they did have a good sale. The bull I wanted and liked on paper brought 37,500 dollars. They had an own son of Emulation 31 for sale, but don't know what he brought.

My goal is not to raise the heaviest calves in the country, but I do want the most profitable ones. The offspring from these bulls grow like weeds, and the cows hardly have to lay down in order to have a calf.

On cold raw days like these, angus really shine. It's barely over freezing with our usual strong wind.

jake when you said the bull you picked out on paper went for $37,500 I knew you were just like me. A guy with a good eye, expensive tastes and a budget. It is nice to see that you can pick'em. :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun May 01, 2005 10:51 am

Oh, my, Denny. WHAT A FIND! You are right, IMO, to jump right on it. Especially when you've seen some progeny. Excellent!!

As for Emulation 31 cattle,they are just too wild for us old folks. Too bad, too, because they do a lot of things right. Our daughter and her husband applied for a job with N-Bar, probably in 1987. The calves were on the ground at that time and I remember both of them remarking how much they liked the 5522's.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sun May 01, 2005 11:40 am

I have a whole whack of semen out a bull fromm 5522's full sister and GT Max-he really puts some guts in cattle and is alot more fertile than the direct GT Max's. When Dennis Johnson left the N-Bar he absconded with a package of their top cows. This bull is an 'A' model but we still breed cows to him A'I every year. Give me a call if anybody wants some semen. He was one of the top sellers at one of the first 'Rancher's Choice' sales.

conan

Postby conan » Tue May 03, 2005 7:48 am

i really like emblazon

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu May 05, 2005 11:32 am

Two of the bulls we picked up yesterday are Anchor grandsons, OCC Anchor. Man, are they ever thick. If I could find my digital camera, I'd take a photo to post here. I don't think I've ever seen such thick bulls.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Thu May 05, 2005 11:55 am

Being a true blue Hereford person I don't have that much to add, but I did work on the N Bar for 5 years during the summers while I was in college. My cousin was the manager for several years, then ran the feedlot (while Dennis was there) I AIed and did general ranch work. They had good cows, I was never there during calving or sales. I had wondered what happened to the cows when Tom sold out. Didn't he buy a place around Livingston?

Return to “Ranch Talk”