Ranchers.net Bull Session

AI Sires?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:46 am

Faster horses wrote:WR BAR Ranch, that is the breeders of Marriot, is that right?

I saw that bull in the flesh also. He was pretty impressive. I have noticed our heifers that go back to Marriot have a problem in shedding their hair. They are always the last to shed. I have wondered if that is because he has so much hair. Hair is a desired thing here in the cold winters, but I sure don't like them hanging on to it in the spring like they seem to do.

Can you shed any light on that for me?

There is someone in Montana with GD60 cattle and the people we buy our bulls from are going to see them about breeding as close to GD60 as possible. I'm all for it!!!

Yes they are the Breeders of Marriot.The marriot daughters I have seem to have alot of hair even in the summer as you have noticed.A friend of mine has a dirct son of GD60. I know a fellow with 3 straws of gd60 but there not for sale I have tried to buy them..one of these heifers i bought has gd60 and 6807 on her papers I have a dozen straws of bushwacker that i am going to use on my heifers.I used him last year only 2 straws I got 2 heifer calves they look pretty good so far.I ve got 6 bulls for sale now but none have Viking in them..

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:47 am

I found the place in Montana that is using GD60 genetics. It is Saddle Butte Ranch, Harrison O'Connor. Geyser, MT.

The ad reads " Octoraro Delia 603 is a good example of our program. Her pedigree reads 6807 x Shoshone Intent x Viking x Emulation 31. Her calf by Carpenter of Wickwire brings foundation Scottish bloodlines to the mix. Carpenter is a son of Prince of Malpas, the bull Wye Plantantion used to start their herd.

Octoraro Viking, Fabron of Wye, F0203, Emulation 31, Bax Elite, 6807, Pied Piper, Echo, Carpenter of Wickwire (son of Prince of Malpas), and Cameron of Wickwire.

The program is now at the point where daughters of these great. proven maternal sires are all about to come into production. Half the herd was time-bred to Octoraro Viking 527 and then turned out with three other Viking GD60 sons.

We have gone our own way concentrating exclusively upon maternal function. Come see goodness in the making."

Kate/wy

Mike EPD's

Postby Kate/wy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:09 pm

You may be right about my raising dwarfs, however some of us don't have to challenge a heifer to get good production. I just believe the EPD's should be closer in reality than what they turned out to be. :lol:

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Mike EPD's

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Kate/wy wrote:You may be right about my raising dwarfs, however some of us don't have to challenge a heifer to get good production. I just believe the EPD's should be closer in reality than what they turned out to be. :lol:

Kate , that was a Charolais guy talking, The only thing they think of is size. As we get older these trouble free cows are much nicer to raise. My back can't take carring around those big Char calves trying to get them to suck. Much rather have those bouncy little black calves still wet trying to suck.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:29 pm

Faster horses wrote:Sorry, OT. I saw one HA Imagemaker son and I didn't like him at ALL. Looked like a real hard-doer and was the worse bull in the bunch~this was after one breeding season. Probably shouldn't make your mind up on seeing just one, but first impressions are everything.

Denny, where in the world did you get an Angus herd built on Viking GD60? Those are AWESOME cattle!! I would sure be interested in a bull out of your deal.

I know Bushwacker is popular, and one of the purebred breeders here used him and says he will use him again. I do like his pedigree, but for us, he is not a heifer bull. The outfit here that used him got 88 lb. bw, 87 lb. bw, 94# and 80# out of cows.
I like 6595, actually saw the bull at Hawkeye in Billings. We have used him too. I would choose something else from Conneally besides Freightliner. I just can't tolerate 598. Our experience with a Traveler 416 son out of a 598 daughter was not good. Hard fleshing and BIG. Nothing like 416's. We used him until he got so big and narrow. We were going to pound him out and a neighbor begged us to let him buy him as he was in a wreck and needed a bull bad, so we did. On that grass, the bull fell totally apart. The heifers we kept out of him were tall, narrow and hard doing. We got rid of all of them. In talking to the bull breeder we got him from, he confirmed the problem was 598. They had several daughters they got rid of because of the same thing. So there might be a little heads up on Freightliner. The Frontlines are supposedly good, as are the Datelines and Timelines. In our area, I hear resistance to Freightliner. If I had what you have, I would look into OCC Emblazon and stay away from anything with 598's. FWIW~

But looks like you've done okay so far!!! VIKING GD60's. WOW!!!!

Interesting about the Image Maker son-- I'd heard his heifers were looking good....I see he was one of the top sellers at the Performance Breeders sale ( which doesn't mean anything)...I looked and see where AAA does give him a low efficiency rating... some of the bulls I was looking at this spring that were already sold were sons of his grandfather R R Hero 6727.....who has a pretty good efficiency rating...Just like me to find what I like two generations ago.......

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:33 pm

OT, it is not just you who find cattle from years back that you like. Same here. Hero 6267, yep, I like him too! Maybe progress isn't isn't progressing????

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:11 am

Many of the cattle promoted now days have made there mark in the show world not the real world.I've got a little viking bred cow ugliest thing you'll ever see maybe weighs 1000#s her heifer calf weighed of her last fall at 695#s she has a bull calf this year so we will see how he does.

Kate/wy

ugly is as

Postby Kate/wy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:39 pm

ugly produces. I've had several small cows that can out perform some of my larger cows. I love them little girlies.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:27 pm

Kate do youlive at Buffalo,Wyoming?

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:14 am

Denny: Take a look at Boyd New Day 8005. I like him as well as his calves I have seen. The bushwacker calves I have seen are very nice thick deep calves but I would not use him on heifers. His birth weight is above 3 whitch to me means cows only.
The bull I used on my heifers is F A R Krugerrand 410H. He has much lower birth weight than Bushwacker but still sires growing calves. Genex had him discounted from $30 down to $20 when I bought him in Jan.
A bull that has given me some very nice bull calves that eat and gain is
S A Neutron 377. I used one of his sons last year for my clean up bull and have been very pleased with his calves except for birth weight so use him on cows only.
Good luck

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:08 pm

Alabama wrote:Denny: Take a look at Boyd New Day 8005. I like him as well as his calves I have seen. The bushwacker calves I have seen are very nice thick deep calves but I would not use him on heifers. His birth weight is above 3 whitch to me means cows only.
The bull I used on my heifers is F A R Krugerrand 410H. He has much lower birth weight than Bushwacker but still sires growing calves. Genex had him discounted from $30 down to $20 when I bought him in Jan.
A bull that has given me some very nice bull calves that eat and gain is
S A Neutron 377. I used one of his sons last year for my clean up bull and have been very pleased with his calves except for birth weight so use him on cows only.
Good luck

I used Bushwacker last year on heifers they calved unassisted they are some growing machines.We put cydrs in 30 head of heifers yeasterday so next week the heifers will be done.We will do 30 cows in a month then the bulls can finish up.

Kate/wy

northern rancher

Postby Kate/wy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:10 am

Kate is from 80 miles E of Buffalo, WY :D

Return to “Ranch Talk”