Ranchers.net Bull Session

Branding methods.

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.

What method do you use to brand your calves?

calf table
36%
horse and nordfork
9%
horses only
No votes
horse and wrestlers
41%
other
14%

Total votes: 56

Les

Postby Les » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:56 pm

Looking at the pool i was wondering how the 15% in the other catagory do their branding?

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:40 pm

Some people around here only brand their replacement heifers in the fall, as yearlings, after preg testing. They do it in the chute when they're giving Ivomec, 8-way, or whatever their programme. And some don't brand at all. :?

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:27 am

Cal,

Have to agree 100% on the alley thing. We get our calves done fast, narrow the alley to the Squeeze Chute and have the calf table in front. Never climb in the alley, never get kicked. Too manty guys have these wide alleys and blame the table, lol.

On the brand of calf table, Powder River is all we ever used. I have seen the style you talk about and have talked to guys that like them and guys that don't. I have found guys tend to like one style or the other, few like both. I have seen a few guys fight headgates not adjusted correctly on the Powder Rivers.

Shelly, on the votes, saying you like a calf tabl on this site is like having your freinds know you ride a moped, lol. Seems like we are the silent majority. I like rope brandings, but dealing with fiinding good help and getting them there is the issue.

Either way, Branding day always seems like a day hen you feel very satisfied,

Just got everything out on grass this week, another good feeling,

PPRM
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:53 am

My daughter and I branded 400 calves last spring and are set to do it again. Help is the big issue. We are set up inside a pole barn can run the cows thru a Hi Hog pens and tub and S alley thru a Stampede chute. The calves go in the tub and out a door at the back of the S alley into a one calf sized hold behind the Roper calf table. When we are clicking we do a calf in less then a minute. Thats tags ,2 vaccinations, brand, band. and a squirt of Cydecton. We gather in smaller groups have some PB that take pairing to move to other pastures and not as many problems getting everything paired as doing all in one day.. in most cases everybody doesn't put 25 combines in the same feild or gang up to do their haying in a day . We go about our work and GIT R DONE.

PS .it also means this big old boy doesn't have to work on the ground. I can still bend over but my knees wouldn't take climbing off the ground that much.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

preston

Postby preston » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:03 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:My daughter and I branded 400 calves last spring and are set to do it again. Help is the big issue. We are set up inside a pole barn can run the cows thru a Hi Hog pens and tub and S alley thru a Stampede chute. The calves go in the tub and out a door at the back of the S alley into a one calf sized hold behind the Roper calf table. When we are clicking we do a calf in less then a minute. Thats tags ,2 vaccinations, brand, band. and a squirt of Cydecton. We gather in smaller groups have some PB that take pairing to move to other pastures and not as many problems getting everything paired as doing all in one day.. in most cases everybody doesn't put 25 combines in the same feild or gang up to do their haying in a day . We go about our work and GIT R DONE.

PS .it also means this big old boy doesn't have to work on the ground. I can still bend over but my knees wouldn't take climbing off the ground that much.

============

Where is big muddy valley? Have a lot of em' around here with all the spring rain.
G. Preston
If you must doubt something,doubt your limits.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:14 am

Preston ,the Big Muddy Valley starts in Saskatchewan and runs into the very North east corner of Montana. We live on the south side of Big Muddy lake a large Alkali lake that right now has white dust blowing off it. In fact it is not very muddy around here at all right now. Alot of the soil is very thin top soil clay exposed in the forms of buttes Sallinity is close to the surface in alot of places as well. Most of this area is best suited to ranching but becaiuse of Government policy such as the Homestead act, Crow rate, and other pro farming programs to much of this area is farmed. Farming is tough up here and even with the depressed cattle prices from the BSE problems more grass is being seeded down .

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

TXTibbs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TXTibbs » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 pm

Is that a Corgi in that picture? 8)

Return to “Ranch Talk”