Ranchers.net Bull Session

Angus bull most responsible for breed improvement

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Angus bull most responsible for breed improvement

Postby Brad S » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:08 am

If 3bars improved the quarter horse breed more than any horse, what Angus bull has this distinction? (No wise crackers sayin some stein or chi bull either, ok.)

Andy

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:30 am

I would say EXT. I know there are a lot of ppl that don't like him, but he was the original curve bender. He him self might not have had the greatest offspring but i think he help turn the breed toward more profitable cattle.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:46 am

PUKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS-if you loook wayyyyyyyy back in the Angus pedigrees it was alot of old Canadian bred bulls that moved the cattle up from the pony types-EXT just moved nervous cattle all the way to insane. Here's my fearless prediction we will see a frame 4 win Denver within 5 years-I can already hear PB guys looking for the next fad to chase. Wayne Stevenson told me himself he had to go north to find the cattle he needed in the '70's-I think they have a fairly successful outfit lol.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:03 am

My answer would be Traveler 23-4. Until EXT he was the most used bull in the Angus breed. If you look at his progeny they still excel in many traits. With the data we have know, turns out Traveler was a carcass bull along with a good maternal sire in a moderate frame. He lasted a long time. They quit using him at one point and pretty soon he was used heavily again.

There is no perfect bull, and his offspring did not have the best dispositions. However, they were nothing like EXT. IMHO

Kate/wy

23-4

Postby Kate/wy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:44 am

No doubt about it!

TSR
Rancher
Rancher

EXT

Postby TSR » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:34 am

I always hear people comment on the bad disposition of EXT but I have no such trouble with his offspring. My EXt daughters are NOT bad dispositioned cattle. I do try to ride or walk around my cattle everyday though. Someone in a post on another thread commented on the good disposition of Bushwacker. But just yesterday while putting in some Cidrs the only calf that tried to kick me was a Bushwacker daughter.
I would agree that 23-4, EXT both had a lot of impact on the angus breed. Right or wrong, all you have to do is look at the pedigrees of a lot of angus sires and see who is there.

badroute

Postby badroute » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:54 am

I agree with some others here the best all around bulls that put their mark on the industry would be 23-4 and EXT. Look for CA FUture Direction 5321 to be turnin some heads from here on out. I have a bunch of these calves on the ground and so far I am very impressed, but will know more later on.

Jason
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:54 pm

The Angus breed is so diverse you need to clarify the question Brad. A few years back 80% of all the cattle showed at Denver traced back to Great Northern (Blacklock McHenry) a Canadain bull. Another bull that changed the direction of the breed was Canadian Collossal (Camilla Chance) another Canadian bull.

Others have mentioned some more recent bulls, but they have really not affected the breed as much as the above mentioned.

PS Power Play influenced things for many years, he is the sire of Scotch Cap, and out of another Canadian bull, Early Sunset Emulous 60E.

Traveler 23-4 has been used heavily in many pedigrees so would class as an influential sire. The other bull that has been used via sons and grand sons was AAR New Trend. 315 and all the 036 cattle are from this line.

With EPD's and ultrasound data, exceptional individuals from many blood lines have been identified, making bulls less likely to be breed legends for many years as in the past. However those old bulls did breed true and pass on a lasting legacy to the breed.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:57 pm

Jason, glad to have your comments here. I do have a question for you~there was a great herd of cattle in NW Montana a few years ago. They were Black Diamonds and came from Canada, as I understand it. Does that ring a bell with you and where would some be today?

A purebred breeder up there got into some real problems and he used this line of cattle to straighten things out. People up there referred to 'Black Diamond daughters' with reverence. We did use some bulls out of that line, and realized later how really good they were. Wish we had more!!!

conan

Postby conan » Tue May 03, 2005 7:51 am

i really like 6807...

Jason
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jason » Wed May 04, 2005 11:28 am

Faster horses wrote:Jason, glad to have your comments here. I do have a question for you~there was a great herd of cattle in NW Montana a few years ago. They were Black Diamonds and came from Canada, as I understand it. Does that ring a bell with you and where would some be today?

A purebred breeder up there got into some real problems and he used this line of cattle to straighten things out. People up there referred to 'Black Diamond daughters' with reverence. We did use some bulls out of that line, and realized later how really good they were. Wish we had more!!!

There was a good cow that came from Alberta that had a diamond in her name, she was a show cow that worked. Never became a huge line but no doubt had some good points. I can't recall the exact name of the cow.

Most of the troubles with the big Angus cattle came from poor selection or no selection in traits other than frame size. I like a good frame, but the cattle need some thickness and defenitely some length of body.

The other day a well respected cattle buyer came out and looked at some steers I had, he missed their weight by 60 pounds per hd. These blacks fool many a buyer.

I sold 3 bulls this morning, one guy worked for Cargill for 8 years and is just getting into cattle. Its interesting to hear from the other segments of the industry while in the bull pen. I am still on the right track for all segments. My selection criterion includes some 20-30 traits with no room to sacrifice on any of them. It takes time but is worth it.

Jason

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu May 05, 2005 12:24 am

Jason you are trying to select for 20 or 30 traits at the same time-I'm curious as to what they are could you indulge me and list them in the order of importance. I'm a bit sceptical but I'm willing to learn.

Return to “Ranch Talk”