Ranchers.net Bull Session

Are we having fun yet!!!

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Are we having fun yet!!!

Postby Northern Rancher » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:25 pm

It's -5 here today with snow and wind howling out of the north-found a drowned cow in a big dugout yesterday so waited for the wind to push her to one end. Had to wade out up to my chest this morning and get a rope on her then tow her into shallow enough water to reach her with the tractor. It was a bit chilly-when I took my chest waders off it looked like I was trying to smuggle olives lol. CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!!!!!

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:13 pm

GRRR!!! Isn't this the physical s***s??? The joys of spring time in Saskatchewan!

Oldtimer

Re: Are we having fun yet!!!

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:16 pm

Northern Rancher wrote:It's -5 here today with snow and wind howling out of the north-found a drowned cow in a big dugout yesterday so waited for the wind to push her to one end. Had to wade out up to my chest this morning and get a rope on her then tow her into shallow enough water to reach her with the tractor. It was a bit chilly-when I took my chest waders off it looked like I was trying to smuggle olives lol. CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!!!!!

Northern Rancher-- Same thing down here- COLD, WIND, SNOW-- just miserable.... Sometimes the sun comes out- next minute its snowing so bad you can't see 1/4 mile away.....Starting to think we're not going to have Spring-Go straight from winter to summer......

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:43 pm

I feel for you guys up there. It was 80 here today with bright sun but has been a weird year all around. I usually have hay in the barn by now and it's too cool and too wet to cut!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm

It got 94 degrees in the TX hill country today.And I got a call from south TX that it was 102 degrees and April is going down as the driest on record,hope this aint just the start of another dry spring/summer.My hay fields better get rain next week they are getting pretty dry...........good luck

Les

Postby Les » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:02 pm

It has been cold here in Alberta the last few days , but we have lots of moisture.More than we have had in a few years. Things are looking good for a change.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:55 pm

Well I think I'm the most northern person on this board (correct me if I'm wrong)... Only +7 today, but the grass and leaves are green. Mid twenties earlier in the week. It's good to be in God's country 8)

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:48 am

Silver - are you up near the Peace River?

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:49 am

16 degrees this morning as i woke the crew with bacon, eggs and muffins and then sent them out to gather the calves for branding today!!! what a beautiful day....blue skies...now snow....yet!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Darcey

Texas

Postby Darcey » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:49 am

Ant one from texas online

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:24 pm

Maple Leaf Angus wrote:Silver - are you up near the Peace River?

Yes, MLA. very near in fact.

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Sun May 01, 2005 3:48 pm

That's one part of the country that I want to see some day. 30 years ago I thought about going up that way to see if one could still homestead there. Don't think I'd do it anymore if it was allowed, but the North-West still pulls, for some reason.

Return to “Ranch Talk”