Ranchers.net Bull Session

What to do for fly control?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
cowboss

What to do for fly control?

Postby cowboss » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:24 am

I need help for fly control so i bought a lewis cattle oiler

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:59 am

cowboss,

where can a guy source one of these, is there a website??? I am specifically talking the oiler/mineral feeder combination

PPRM
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

cowboss

Postby cowboss » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:13 am

you can go to lewiscattleoilers.com. I met a really good guy who sells them. If you want to talk to him he will help you out. This cattle oiler is big and strong. I got them to ship one to me. I really like it anyone I got in touch with says that it will reduce flies and misqutos in the summer and lice and mange in the winter. They ship them all over the world. I really think it is well worth it

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:17 pm

What brand do you use in the oiler, do you rotate products??

PPRM

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:01 pm

After looking at this, they are portable enough to take from winter to summer place, but do need in every place cattle are, thaks for the info,

PPRM

PPRM

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:43 pm

God put tails on cows and horses for a reason. As for salt bunks, it is hard to beat the plastic half barrels that originally come with Vitalix molasses in them. They are available for $5 each at our local supply store, and are by far better than the old tires turned inside out and mounted on a board platform that we used to use.

Speaking of salt bunks, I always like to put them on an already sandy spot near a water tank. If you put them out on good sod, soon there is a sandy spot due to wear and tear from the cattle. As far as using salt bunks to attract cattle to unused grass, I don't do it that way. It becomes like an Easter egg hunt trying to remember where you parked the salt bunk out in the hills, and a sandy spot develops. The cattle will find the grass, and they just as well get their salt and mineral when they come in to water.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:00 pm

You are a wise man, Soapweed. Cattle won't walk to find mineral anyway~so it is much better to do just what you have found works so well. If they start overeating the mineral, then you can move the tubs further away from water~but never completely out of the area.

Rowdy Ranch

Postby Rowdy Ranch » Sun May 01, 2005 4:22 am

Soapweed-I agree 100%-let the cattle take care of themselves for the most Part! Same goes here on the salt and mineral - it gets put in the same place year after year.The "experts" say to put the salt where you need cattle to graze more-well I would never remember where the feeder was or else could not get to it expect via helicopter. I agree with your operation methods nearly all the time. Have a good day- you and your family along with hired help!

cowboss

Postby cowboss » Sun May 01, 2005 11:12 am

I believe fly control is inportant. The tail works but not effective. I you had bugs on you, you would use bug spray. But why care about you cattles health

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Sun May 01, 2005 12:04 pm

I heard a remark put down to an old cowman. "Why would you worry about heeol flies? Keeps the cows bunched up so the bulls can find the ones in heat!"

I have quite a little buckbrush in my southern pastures and this was always traditionally summer pastures. I was going to have it sprayed as it seemed like I would have more grass for cattle to eat. Never could get a sprayer to come and do it, tho'. One day I rode down to check on the cattle and they were all yearling steers. The heel flies were out and really aq pain. When I found the steers almost everyone was lying down in the buckbrush, rolled up on top of their feet. Their tails were busy, but they seemed pretty comfortable. Since then, the buckbrush don't bother me at all.

I've been told and noticed for myself that horned longhorn cattle, will graze into and a lot closer around brush then other cattle. I know that they browse more. Must be why I like them! :lol:

I think I posted this before, but if you move your cattle at least a half a mile to fresh or different pastures. every 4 to 6 days, you can get ahead of anf beat most of the fly problems.

I read a book sometime back, by a man who was of a tribe up in Montana. He grew up on the families ranch that was run by his grandmother. The tribe is one where the women traditionally have the power in the family and are considered the landowner. He told of his grandmother telling him that before they came and fenced all of the country, the great spirit put all the flies and bugs along the creeks to drive the animals up inot the higher hills to spend the summer months. Then in the fall when the flies and bugs died, the animals would drift back to protection and there would be lots of feed for them to winter on. Made sense to me and I found it interesting.
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun May 01, 2005 1:37 pm

"...where women traditionally have the power"

WOW! That must be some book!!

Seriously, why would you still have heel flies? With the pour-ons they are a thing of the past in Montana. Wonder why you would still be bothered by them in SD?

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun May 01, 2005 1:45 pm

Faster horses wrote:"...where women traditionally have the power"

WOW! That must be some book!!

Seriously, why would you still have heel flies? With the pour-ons they are a thing of the past in Montana. Wonder why you would still be bothered by them in SD?

Great question Faster Horses. Same for horn flies with the ability to use IGR.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Return to “Ranch Talk”