Ranchers.net Bull Session

neighbors

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Tue May 03, 2005 7:48 pm

My two bits worth on hat wearing-- Never saw cowboys wearing ball caps until the team roping craze came to be starting in the 60's-- Before that no real cowboy wore anything but a hat until it was 10-20 below, then "might" put on a scotch cap with earflappers...Everytime I see a cowboy wearing a ball cap I immediately look to see if they have any thumbs missing :lol:

the real jake

Postby the real jake » Tue May 03, 2005 8:48 pm

Some things just kind of go hand in hand, but it seems to me that the gradual demise of the hat has kinda gone with the infiltration of the 4-wheeler. Maybe this is good or bad, but I like to work cattle with someone who likes to take things easy(not that there aren't times when speed is called for), and does it horseback. There are a few who can handle cattle on a 4-wheeler, and do it easy, but most don't even realize that they are pushing too hard on a bunch of cattle, or a single cow. This makes helping out horseback dang irritating as trailing cattle at a trot gets rather old.

I think the one thing that has brought this on is the lack of folks left in some of ranch country. Our neighbors are few and far between here, but the ones we do have are just the best.

I read something one time that I sure liked. A cowboy was saying that from the beginning he thought some folks wanted to think the cowboy was just a thing of the past. He said that the second day a cowboy got in the saddle to take a look around at his country he must have said to his partner, "You know Slim, this just isn't the way it was yesterday".

I think there will always be a few good hands left in the country no matter how they choose to do their work, or dress.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue May 03, 2005 9:31 pm

Oldtimer wrote:My two bits worth on hat wearing-- Never saw cowboys wearing ball caps until the team roping craze came to be starting in the 60's-- Before that no real cowboy wore anything but a hat until it was 10-20 below, then "might" put on a scotch cap with earflappers...Everytime I see a cowboy wearing a ball cap I immediately look to see if they have any thumbs missing :lol:

Do you know the difference between a team roper and a large pizza????

A large pizza will feed a family of four...

Saddletramp

Postby Saddletramp » Tue May 03, 2005 9:57 pm

Great post Real Jake. I tip my sweat stained Stetson off to you.
A good wife, one good horse and a pickup that runs!

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Tue May 03, 2005 10:41 pm

I tend to get full value out of my felts-I even wear them when I coach hockey-one time at Agribition I was wearing a well used black hat-had some sweat rings and some cowcrap on it. This purebredd Simmie breeder kept nagging me to go look at something with him. I finally dragged myself out of the 'Swamp' and went with him. He took me to the Simmental booth and told me to pick any ballcap I wanted. He said he felt sorry because I always wore an old felt hat. The poor guys heart was in the right place but I said no thank you lol.my dad had a saying for guys with a small ranch and a big hat 'All hat and no cows'. Another funny story was when I took a friend bull shopping in Montana-he's got 1,000 momma cows but is a running shoe-ball cap kinda guy-I finally nagged him into buying a nice John B. Stetson-we went to Wayne Stevenson's and be damnewd if he didn't wear his hat backwards all day looking at cows-GAWD.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed May 04, 2005 6:52 am

That's funny, Northern Rancher. We had an old neighbor that had his hat on backwards one day. It was just him and me, so I casually mentioned that his hat was backwards. (If I had my hat on wrong, or if my zipper was down, or a piece of snot was hanging down from my nose, I would appreciate if someone inconspicuously would tell me.) Anyway, this ol' rancher told me it might be backwards, but he didn't care, that was the way he always wore it. He said he wanted the bigger broader part of the brim to cover his face, not the back of his head where he still had hair.

This same man once was telling my dad and me that he had three pairs of long winter underwear. One pair was pretty old and wore out, with lots of holes. He wore this pair on the days that weren't very cold. Another pair just had a few holes, which he chose to wear on days that were pretty cold. His final pair of long johns was nearly new, with no holes, so he wore those on very cold or blizzardy-type days. He had a twinkle in his eye when he explained all of this, but I think he was dead serious, too.

I had occasion to travel one time with this character, his wife and son about my age. We entered a busy cafe during the noon rush. The waitresses were over-worked, and hadn't as yet had time to clear off the tables. We sat at one where the previous occupants had just got up to leave. There was quite a little food still left on one plate. The old rancher said, "The rest of you order what you want. This is all I need."

He grew up in tough times, and put together a good ranch by hard work and frugality. He had my respect.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Wed May 04, 2005 7:07 am

Jinglebob wrote "if you're going to dress the part you better be able to do the job." Silver wrote: "We wear boots 'cause it's practical. But we wear caps as often as not and for the same reason "

How many of you wear baseball caps from time to time but aren't ball players for a living?
It is cause they're practical as Silver said.
Same reason we wear hardhats/ steel-toed boots doing construction/treework.
There must be many examples of clothing that folks have adopted because it suits a purpose so well. Think of the sailor hat with brim turned down while sailing in a wind; doctor's scrub suits; aviators' goggles;...
My husband has a hand-me-down fur super-warm Russian type hat he often wears on blustery winter days, but that, thank goodness, doesn't make him a RedRuskie! :D

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Wed May 04, 2005 3:34 pm

There are some interesting points of view here. Neighbors are important and those of us left on ranches sure do need to do a better job of "neighboring". That is pretty difficult when we are so darn busy trying to make a living that we more or less fall exhausted into bed at night, or when days aren't quite as long in winter, we are going to school events and whatever community events or 'watering holes' seem to be the gathering places. Not too many years ago, it was rare for a whole family to go out a few times a week so such events. That has substituted for "neighboring" in many small communities.

Soapweed, I'm taking you to task for the "manure on the boots" comment. My bet is your mother, and many other mothers worked tirelessly to train their sons to spruce up their one pair of boots when going out into the community or to town for socialization or business.

A personal pet peeve is people who complain of how hard it is to make a living ranching, then treat their good leather boots improperly so they wear out faster than they should. Scuffed and dirty boots may be a fair badge of honor to some, but well cared for and cleaned up boots, even if scuffed and past their prime denotes to the world a person who is on the ball and pays attention to business in other ways as well.

Same for clothes. Nothing to be ashamed of if they aren't new, but decently cared for and reasonably clean says a lot about the wearer.........and more about the one who routinely shows up in public places in the opposite condition.

Hats......may be making a come-back for many reasons, not the least of which is skin cancer. Everyone please pay attention and have checkups with professional dermatologists occasionally. Use that sun screen even if it is a nuisance, and don't forget good SPF in some form of lip balm. Used religiously, from the cradle to the grave, just might make the trip to the grave a little later in life!

I have close acquaintance with a guy who hates to wear caps......and complains of earaches on occasion! Wearing whatever is appropriate to the weather and the work makes quite of sense, if not keeping up with personal sense of style at all times. Vanity, thy name is....cowboy! for quite a number of them, it appears.

And why the disdain for the stampede string? They make sense in windy country, don't they?

MRJ

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed May 04, 2005 5:21 pm

MRJ: "Soapweed, I'm taking you to task for the "manure on the boots" comment. My bet is your mother, and many other mothers worked tirelessly to train their sons to spruce up their one pair of boots when going out into the community or to town for socialization or business."

You are right, MRJ. A cowboy should shower, shave, and shine up a bit to go to town. But by the same token, a cowboy/rancher type is always up for a good cow deal or horse trade, even if they are wearing their gadding togs. Sometimes overshoes are not along, and a feller has to step into someone's corral even if they are wearing their spiffiest pair of boots. :wink:

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Wed May 04, 2005 5:41 pm

I have to agree with all of you. My dad always had a saying when we rode to wear plenty of clothing, because you could always take it off. But you couldn't put it on if you didn't have it along.
When I was still home, we had a neighboor that you could alway tell what kind of a year he was having. If it was a tough year with no profit he wore tennis shoes.(that's no joke) And if he made some money that year he would have on leather laceups. Always amused me.. My theory is I don't give a rats a** what you wear as long as it's safe and you get the job done. And I do have strings on my palm leaf.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Wed May 04, 2005 6:29 pm

For those of you having a hard time keeping a hat on in windy weather or whatever, go to a good hatter and i mean a good one, and have him measure and fit you for a custom made hat.

There is a feller in Belle Fourche who own Weather hat Company and he made me one last winter. Best fitting hat I've ever owned and i've owned a bunch! They cost a little more, but they will pay for themselves in durability and comfort.

Same for boots. Once you've had a good made to order boots, it's pretty hard to go back to off the rack boots.

And i would guess it would be appropriate to say the same for saddles. 'Course on saddles, I might be a little prejudiced! :lol:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

the real jake

Postby the real jake » Wed May 04, 2005 6:53 pm

Thanks for the compliment Saddletramp. There must be something in that Cherry County water, as you and Soapweed sure have a way with words. The story you told about the young kids in WallyWorld sure amused me. I think the neat thing about it is that the experience was as valuable to you as it was for the kids. Neat.

Jinglebob, speaking of saddles, how much luck do you have reworking a ground seat to take a bump or two out of it a few years after a saddle is made? My saddlemaker passed on just recently in an accident.

Return to “Ranch Talk”