Page 2 of 4
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:38 pm
Thank you everyone for your kindness you all seem like family to us and I really cherish that. Its a real mess around here , I was digging through the ashes today trying to find any photos that hadnt burned. I couldnt find anything that wasnt charred. Its real hard to see everything we ve worked for go up in smoke in just a few minutes. About the only thing we have right now is the clothes on our backs. Were lucky to have special grandparents as they have let us move into their house til we get a place to live in. Its been a hard day on us all. We ve got alot of cleaning up to do. If anyone would like to see pictures of where our house used to stand I can email them as we have quite a few on the camera.
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:59 pm
Kind of seems like some space heater manufacturers ought to to be liable for the safety of their product. Might look into it. Good luck rebuilding, and hope you shared lots of pictures with friends and relatives that can be copied.
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:06 pm
MR, so sorry to hear about the fire. There are so many things in a home that are irreplaceable, but if there's anything you need, don't be afraid to ask. Give a hug to every member of your family for me. Thank God you're all safe.
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:34 pm
We've been gone all day getting our yearling bulls from the folks we buy them from, so I just got on the computer. Yours was the first thing I read. Would you mind posting your address so we can send you something, or guess we could do a private e-mail to you to find it out.
So sorry about the loss of your home. So many items that are not replaceable. We are thankful no one was hurt.
Some friends of ours bought a ranch east of Billings in 1993. They were moving in when that house caught on fire and burned down. The cause of it was dog food stored in a metal garbage can with the lid on. Caused it to heat up. Just posting this as a word of caution against storing dog food in a metal container.
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:17 am
Manitoba hope you get through this all ok-on the good side at least were goin' into summer not winter-keep us posted how things are going.
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:04 am
Sorry to hear about the loss of your home. We had a close enough call witha portable heater to. Dog snuck in when we were gone a few days and were using portable electric heaters to keep the house going with the wood stove out. heater without a tip over switch was sitting on washing machine and the dog knocked stuff off the drwyer trying to get out side. We put in a ground sourced heat pump this winter so we don't need to use the heaters anymore. so much cheaper that we don't even run the wood stove unless it is real cold.
Back to your problem.:
how about clothes. If you would list sizes, possibly someone has some usable closes that have srunk a bit much for them to wear that may be just what you need. If someone happened to be going that way and if they would fit, I have some that don't fit me that I would send if I could find a ride for them. I am sure there are other people of different sizes that have the same problem.
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:27 am
Everyone on R.N. has expressed my sentiments exactly. I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you have good insurance, if there is anything, anything we can do to help, just let us know. I thank God no one was hurt, but the pictures, what an awful loss. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:39 pm
M_R, sent my sentiments in an email, and hope you got it ok. Thinking about photo's, here may be a tip for others, and one which I haven't used to the degree I planned on.....when my brother lost his house, they had some negatives in one of those small home safes. Mostly to keep them safe from the mice they were plagued with. Most of them were good, though some things in the safe obviously got pretty hot, as it was in the ashes all one day and overnight before it was cool enough, if I recall correctly.
Please give yourselves plenty of time to make decisions on rebuilding since you have a place to camp awhile. Seems like all too often, things done, and decisions made, under lots of pressure are more difficult than they should be.
I hope you can sort of lean back and let your family and friends surround you with caring and love while helping you whenever and however you need. Blessings come to both the giver and the receiver in situations such as yours, and sometimes it is a little hard for those needing the help to just relax and allow those who are giving it to do their thing to receive their blessings, too!
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:42 pm
Sorry for your loss. You said you were in the pick-up, does that mean you weren't home when it happened? I had a friend that his house burnt, lost all his trophy saddles a long with the pictures and etc, woke up in the middle of the night and had just enough time to get family out. Thank God you are safe and anything I can do let me know. Think I will throw my heaters in the dump. I read where those small air freshners you plug in have caused lots of fires.
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:56 pm
Rancher, I bet you heard right, about the plug-in air freshners, because we had an electrical contractor tell us those things you plug in that is supposed to emit a high-frequency to keep mice and bugs away, also cause a lot of fires. Hadn't thought about the plug-in air freshners, though. Thanks for the tip!
Hang in there, MR. We are sure thinking about you. Do you know of anything we can do as of yet?
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:19 pm
M R ,,sorry to hear about your loss, Thank GOD nobody was hurt, went through the same many years ago,, T-Fal pan on a back burner that shorted out, seems on low heat the damn thing will ignite, (don't leave them on the stove top!) Didn't notice burner left on, July 17th, it was over a hundred that day, I had every window in the house opened, went up in minutes,
As for the pictures, when every thing settles down, have a picture party, where the guest bring a copy of a picture as an invite, we were surprised how many of our friends had pictures for us, Our friends at church came up with the idea, they combined it with a house "cooling" party, it was nice,,,
We rebuilt, but many can't face living in the same place, I pray you have a good insurance agent, either way there seems to be a lot of good people in every town, builders, and contractors seem more then willing to help fire victems. ,,and for every good adjuster there is a shyster,,,so talk to people that have had your similar loss to see if you really need one...
Good luck, and GOD Bless,,,,
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:50 pm
Everyone on here so kind I cant begin to express my self. I just wish we had a whole bunch of neighbors like you all. Everytime I drive by the firesite when I am feeding over at the feedlot it makes my stomach turn and brings tears to my eyes to see what is left of all we had. Not sure if i could ever live on that spot again after all that has happened. I keep thinking every morning when I wake up in the morning that it is only a bad dream but seeing what is left makes it really tough to handle. Thank you everyone for your kind words. If someone could tell me how I could post a picture on here I could post a few pictures to let everyone see the mess we are going to have to dig through to clean it up. Thanks again!! God bless!