Ranchers.net Bull Session

Clarence--what is this bird???

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Fri May 06, 2005 12:03 pm

Ain't the internet a great thing.
click on the link below to hear a whipporwill.

http://www.centurytel.net/hummingbird/w ... lsound.wav

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Fri May 06, 2005 12:23 pm

All these years what I thought was a whipporwill is in fact a "Chuck-will's-widow" I was looking for a better sound bite when I discovered the differance. Please follow the link below and click on sound for an exact sound bite.
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i4160id.html

Juan

Postby Juan » Fri May 06, 2005 7:45 pm

Trust me!!!!!! The bird in the picture is NOT a Curlew! It lookes to be a Willet. If I am wrong I will eat Crow .LOL
Juan

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri May 06, 2005 9:08 pm

Juan wrote:Trust me!!!!!! The bird in the picture is NOT a Curlew! It lookes to be a Willet. If I am wrong I will eat Crow .LOL

JUAN i don't think it is a crow.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri May 06, 2005 9:18 pm

My husband doesn't think it is a curlew either. He says curlew's have more of a curve to their beak. The beak is pretty straight on the bird Turkey Track posted.

(our two cents worth~)

Clarence

Postby Clarence » Fri May 06, 2005 9:22 pm

I will go for a Marbled Godwit. I don't think we have them here, but likely you do farther north. It looks to be about 18- 20 inches in length, about the same size as the curlew, but the curlew has a downward curved bill. the coloring looks about the same as a curlew. listen to it's voice, a Godwit should say godwit, or kerwhit- kerwit, a curlew says curleeeu-curleeu.

The upland plover, or upland sandpiper, as it is sometimes called, are common here. They are smaller, only a bit larger than a mourning dove. They have a shorter bill. I also considered a common snipe, they have a long bill but are also smaller, more the size of the sandpiper.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri May 06, 2005 9:26 pm

I would agree with Juan. The bird in the picture is not a curlew, because a curlew has a longer bill that is curved. The bird in Turkey Track Bar's photo has a straight beak that is shorter than a curlew's.

As far as Juan's observation that it is a willet, it's hard to tell. I wouldn't know a willet from a "won't it" so can't be of any help. I don't know what it is, just know what it ain't.

Cal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cal » Fri May 06, 2005 9:36 pm

Juan wrote:Trust me!!!!!! The bird in the picture is NOT a Curlew! It lookes to be a Willet. If I am wrong I will eat Crow .LOL

The curve of the bill looks different in the two pictures.

Clarence

Postby Clarence » Sat May 07, 2005 8:18 am

TXTibbs: You mentioned the nighthawk. I think that is an interesting bird. I don't see them as often now days, perhaps just that I don't pay as much attention. During the dry years in the past, we would often see and hear them about dusk. They will flutter and keep asending a few yards upward at a time with their keek sound, after gaining a good height will dive down with a zroom sound. My Dad called them a ballbat, or a ball and bat. They like to nest where there are peables to ake nests with. During the day you might see them scroched down on the top of a fence post, scarcely moving. They are even common in towns, I think they nest on graveled roofs. Back when I used to spend Saturday nights in town I would see and hear them overhead in the early evening.

TTB: By all means do start a list of the birds you have. I want to do that too, along with a discription. That is the way I started my book on plants and grasses, just wanted to make a sort of an inventory, have had a lot of favorable comments on it. It is definatly something I can leave for the family as a heritage. I want to comment on you picture, I think it is pretty good, unless you have tried, you do not know how hard it is to get good pictures of wildlife, first you can not get close, then they move away, or they blend so well into their surroundings. It is also hard to photograph plants, they blend with their surrounding, move with the wind, and as you want to be close up, it is hard to focuse on all if the plant. You have to decide if you want to focus on all of the plant or just on the flower.

Juan

Postby Juan » Sat May 07, 2005 6:01 pm

I'll stick to Willet! the Godwits that I have seen have an orange color to the base of a curved up bill.
B.M.R....Are you sure it's not a crow? I may have to go with Soap's "won't it".
Juan

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Sat May 07, 2005 6:10 pm

JUAN,That bird is easily identifiable,its a "mile or more bird" I see em all the time when I am bird hunting..........good luck PS even BMR knows a mile or more bird when he sees one,course he's gettin long in the tooth so probably forgot.

GTS

Postby GTS » Sat May 07, 2005 6:51 pm

Turkey Track Bar,
That's a very nice picture of a marbled godwit. Their bills turn up slightly and the long billed curlews turns down quite dramatically. You live a little too far east for curlews. A sighting at your place would be very unusual. They have been seen, rarely, in Perkins Co. and more in Harding Co. and much more as you get into Mont.

Return to “Ranch Talk”