Ranchers.net Bull Session

CAlving time in Canda

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Border rancher

Postby Border rancher » Tue May 10, 2005 9:20 pm

Thank you for your replies. I have until June 1 to decide about the bulls. I wish I had paid more attention last year, but husband knew, I didn't have to. He also knew how many bu./acre to seed the spring triticale, which kind of fungicide to buy for the seed, how long the tractor runs on a tank of fuel (gauge is broken), and a million other things that I did not know. But I am figuring it out with the help of family, friends and neighbours.

One fact he is really having trouble with is accepting is the price of our cattle since BSE. He remembers better times, a few years ago. He can't imagine that we are selling open cows for 200.00.

I find so many posts on some of these forums so "silly". Do some people think that we chose to have BSE found in Canada, or chose to possibly have fed contaminated feed? If we have a case again, do they not realize that we paid top price for feed no one told us (probably because THEY didn't know) was contaminated with a terrible disease.
ITS NOT OUR FAULT! just like it won't be your fault if the disease is found in the USA>

wyo

Postby wyo » Tue May 10, 2005 9:51 pm

I think as soon as the US brings COOL on board we as US cattle operations will be better off. NAFTA has flooded our US beef market with canadian cattle and for that we get less money. So if you wonder if any one down here feels bad beacuse you are getting 200 for open cows? My guess is no. COOL is Country of Origin Labeling and with that we can let the consumer decide what they want to eat and restrict canadian cattle simply by the lack of demand for it. As far as I am concerned the US grows the best beef in the world and the canadians need to stay on their side of the border and if ya get 200 a head for open cows so be it
On the other Border

Cal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cal » Tue May 10, 2005 10:13 pm

wyo wrote:I think as soon as the US brings COOL on board we as US cattle operations will be better off. NAFTA has flooded our US beef market with canadian cattle and for that we get less money. So if you wonder if any one down here feels bad beacuse you are getting 200 for open cows? My guess is no. COOL is Country of Origin Labeling and with that we can let the consumer decide what they want to eat and restrict canadian cattle simply by the lack of demand for it. As far as I am concerned the US grows the best beef in the world and the canadians need to stay on their side of the border and if ya get 200 a head for open cows so be it
On the other Border

You are obviously heartless as well as mindless. Studies show that only 2-3% of consumers are concerned with country of origin, and COOL, as written does not have traceback. It is all expense and no gain. Consumers wanting to know of their meats origin already have the option of branded beef. Let the market dictate rather than the government. Your statement of "NAFTA has flooded our US beef market with canadian cattle and for that we get less money" doesn't hold water and you're not going to be able to come up with the charts to prove it.

Border rancher

Postby Border rancher » Tue May 10, 2005 11:11 pm

I think Alberta Beef will triumph. We can market it as that and it will sell because it is the BEST available and the consumer wants and deserves the BEST!!

No offence meant to beef from other provinces, I'm sure it will sell well also! Beef from the northern states might sell well too.

A few years ago, we had one of those old, big satellite dishes, programming from the US. We used to watch Superior Livestock Auction, usually from someplace south. It looked like mostly Brahma crosses and other old Holstein types. I'm sure there are reasons, like they do better in the heat etc. But, Looked pretty tough to me!

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Tue May 10, 2005 11:29 pm

Good Job, Cal. You said it right. Wyo isn't a very nice person, either. :cry: COOL is going to cost us alot of money. There are producers in the US of A who DON'T tag their calves, who DON'T keep records, DON'T hot brand, (brand laws quit middle of S. Dakota to east), Missouri is (or was) the state with the most cattle, ave. herd size is 35 head, how is the government going to make them conform??? Our Governor Schweitzer made sure the bill on Country of Origin Placarding went sailing through. Most of our beef goes out of state for feeding and processing. What happens when our calves hit the feedlot??? Ranch tags get cut off. How can retailers prove the beef they sell is from Montana?? No way, so the meat will be labeled as "origin unknown". Boy, if I was a consumer I would turn tail and run. What a good thing he did for us producers!!! "Nuff said.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed May 11, 2005 7:47 am

Yep, Montana 'COOL' is gonna be a negative, not a positive, the way I see it. Our Governor is also a negative...

Talking about high calf prices, we aren't going to see the Canadian buyers in this state as we have in the past. It gets to be a long ways to a feeder in Iowa, for instance, from some places in Montana. Wonder how that is going to affect the calf market...bet that is on the negative side as well.

Oh, what have we done to ourselves?

And I wish wyo would have called himself TEX. Wonder why he didn't? Gets confusing in posting in regards to him. I don't know anyone in Wyo who would make remarks like he has done. (Didn't say there wasn't anyone, just said I didn't know them. We now know there is one from Texas.)

Return to “Ranch Talk”