Ranchers.net Bull Session

Bad Wreck!!

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Bad Wreck!!

Postby Northern Rancher » Tue May 10, 2005 11:47 pm

My neighbor is down in university hospital with a fractured spine,broken ribs and a punctured lung-he was semen testing bulls yesterday and one got a hold of him. This poor guy has lived through some horrendous chuckwagon wrecks but this one doesn't look good. They can't operate till tomorrow a'm and they are scared he'll paralyze himself in the mean time.

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Wed May 11, 2005 7:13 am

Sorry to hear about your neighbour NR, hope he'll be all right. Your story is just another example of how an ordinary mundane job can go so horribly wrong. Be careful out there guys and ladies, our chosen way of life is full of unexpected accidents waiting to happen. Don't get careless or in a hurry to finish a job, your lives are more important and your families and friends want you safe at home every night.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed May 11, 2005 7:30 am

Very sorry about your friend. He needs prayers at this point, I will send some.

Home did it happen, anyway?

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Wed May 11, 2005 10:03 am

Thgis bull got bad last spring when they hauled him-(trucker got after him with a prod). They were semen testing him the ther day and he just got him cornered-worked him over then tossed him over top the fence. These guys aren't real well off and he was worth maybe 200 bucks to can so they tried to stretch another year off him-obviously a bad decision but there's been alot of these the last couple years.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Wed May 11, 2005 10:24 am

We'll be praying too, send him and his family our best wishes.

SASH

Postby SASH » Wed May 11, 2005 10:51 am

obviously a bad decision but there's been alot of these the last couple years.

I agree with that 100%. Its bad when you can't do the right thing because of the current economics of the situation. Its real bad when you get hurt over it.
"Red meat is NOT bad for you. Now, blue-green meat - THAT'S bad for you!"

preston

Postby preston » Wed May 11, 2005 12:13 pm

My prayers are with him also.

This is a reminder that while traditional ways are often adequate...we should look at new ways to do things. Maybe because I am lazy...but, anytime I see a new way...I look at it critically to determine if it is better/easier than what we know. 8)

I would almost bet that this tragic situation would not have happened had they been using an electronic animal immobilizer.

We become so familiar with these animals...that we forget that they are one shade away from being wild and we never know what they will do next. Thats when we get hurt!

Very sad. :(
G. Preston
If you must doubt something,doubt your limits.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed May 11, 2005 12:58 pm

The job I hate the most in ranching is bull testing day and bull turn out. Running cows would be easy if you didn't have to breed the darn things.
Hope the fellow pulls thru this wreck, A person can never be to careful.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 pm

preston wrote:My prayers are with him also.

This is a reminder that while traditional ways are often adequate...we should look at new ways to do things. Maybe because I am lazy...but, anytime I see a new way...I look at it critically to determine if it is better/easier than what we know. 8)

I would almost bet that this tragic situation would not have happened had they been using an electronic animal immobilizer.

We become so familiar with these animals...that we forget that they are one shade away from being wild and we never know what they will do next. Thats when we get hurt!

Wouldn't you have to get the bull into the chute to hook up the Immobilizer? It is the handling part getting into and away from corrals that seem to be the problem. Stir the bulls up andthey want to fight.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed May 11, 2005 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear of your neighbor's wreck, Northern Rancher. There is a lot of power in a big old bull, whether he is purposely out to get a person, or if he just comes out second best in a bull fight and is trying to vacate the premises.

When my dad was 72 years old, he was helping some folks work cattle where he had cows out on shares. A mean Kickaneenee-cross bull got on the warpath and took after him. When the attack was finished, Dad wound up with a demolished knee, broken leg, and shattered ankle. I wondered if he would ever walk again, but he came through with flying colors, and is still going strong.

As far as riding bulls in competition, to me that looks plumb suicidal. I greatly admire the courage of the young bucks that do this for an adrenalin rush, but their logical intelligent reasoning seems a bit suspect.

preston

Postby preston » Wed May 11, 2005 9:48 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
preston wrote:My prayers are with him also.

Wouldn't you have to get the bull into the chute to hook up the Immobilizer? It is the handling part getting into and away from corrals that seem to be the problem. Stir the bulls up andthey want to fight.

===========
Big Muddy Rancher,

I hear you...but, doesn't everyone have a channeling lane to their headgate? Geesh! I hope so...by now. Thats cattlehanding 101.

These folks were getting semen samples. Sounds somewhat advanced to me...doubt the average cattleman does that.

Just feel sorry for the guy....and when we hear of something like this happen...best we all look at our means, methods and processes...critically. It' a wake up call.

I pray he's back ok shortly.
G. Preston

If you must doubt something,doubt your limits.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed May 11, 2005 10:02 pm

Preston, every rancher I know in these colder climates semen test their bulls every spring, just to make sure they are sound after going through the winter. Pretty common occurance around these parts. It's a a day you schedule just like branding day.

Return to “Ranch Talk”