Ranchers.net Bull Session

ALABAMA ARE YOU BALING YET?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 8800
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: Texas

ALABAMA ARE YOU BALING YET?

Postby HAY MAKER » Thu May 12, 2005 3:47 pm

April was the driest on record here ,set every thing back bout 30 days,now its turned wet just got 3 inches with more in the forecast ,so I get to play on the computer with some of these packer employees LOL...........good luck :wink: PS I bet Mike already has his trailer hooked up if you sell 5x5s for $25 ?

User avatar
Mike
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 28459
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Montgomery, Al

Re: ALABAMA ARE YOU BALING YET?

Postby Mike » Thu May 12, 2005 9:18 pm

HAY MAKER wrote:April was the driest on record here ,set every thing back bout 30 days,now its turned wet just got 3 inches with more in the forecast ,so I get to play on the computer with some of these packer employees LOL...........good luck :wink: PS I bet Mike already has his trailer hooked up if you sell 5x5s for $25 ?


I rolled up 192 6X6's today. Has been perfect hay curing weather, about 90 with low humidity and a little breeze. All but a few are in the barn.

I'm done until I bale the soybeans in September. Hard to put up good hay in mid-summer here. There's a chance of rain everyday with almost 100% humidity.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

User avatar
alabama
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Alabama

Postby alabama » Fri May 13, 2005 7:30 am

I made a few rolls of clover and rye grass but my cutter is down waiting on parts. I need to cut a field of tall fesceu and another clover patch. If my parts come in today I should start cutting again on Sunday evening. We have a 50% chance of rain Sunday morning. That will wind up the spring cuttings. Summer hay fields should be ready the first week in June.
Mike: Did you get a flyer on the hay day comming up the last Saturday in May? It starts about 9:00 am with speekers till lunch then bailing demos in the afternoon. If you still want to bring that stud bull I will make sure we have a pin for him.

User avatar
Mike
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 28459
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Montgomery, Al

Postby Mike » Fri May 13, 2005 8:19 am

Alabama wrote:I made a few rolls of clover and rye grass but my cutter is down waiting on parts. I need to cut a field of tall fesceu and another clover patch. If my parts come in today I should start cutting again on Sunday evening. We have a 50% chance of rain Sunday morning. That will wind up the spring cuttings. Summer hay fields should be ready the first week in June.
Mike: Did you get a flyer on the hay day comming up the last Saturday in May? It starts about 9:00 am with speekers till lunch then bailing demos in the afternoon. If you still want to bring that stud bull I will make sure we have a pin for him.


I have plans on the 28th of May and will have to beg off of your "Hay Day". Sorry, I hope I didn't mess you up.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

User avatar
alabama
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Alabama

Postby alabama » Fri May 13, 2005 8:43 am

Sorry you will miss it. It looks like Cow Creek with the brangus will be the only bulls on site.
Are you putting bulls in the North Al. or the Auburn test this year? I have no planes to test any bulls this year. I do have some for Uniontown and the EPD sale.

User avatar
Mike
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 28459
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Montgomery, Al

Postby Mike » Fri May 13, 2005 9:05 am

Alabama wrote:Sorry you will miss it. It looks like Cow Creek with the brangus will be the only bulls on site.
Are you putting bulls in the North Al. or the Auburn test this year? I have no planes to test any bulls this year. I do have some for Uniontown and the EPD sale.


We met a couple of weeks ago about the Auburn Bull Test. It's still up in the air and we voted to have it but there must be 85 bulls consigned or it's a no-go. Costs have gone up so much that many are not consigning now. There was a comment made that no Angus breeders were going to enter. I hate to see it end after 55 years of testing.

Cullman will still happen and I might take some to the Florida test again. Got a flyer from Goergia about the tests in Tifton and Calhoun. The Tifton test takes calves born as late as the end of Feb. We'll see.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

User avatar
alabama
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Alabama

Postby alabama » Fri May 13, 2005 9:54 am

Sorry to hear about the Auburn test. I have heard talk of shuting it down for several years now. I have not heard anything about the Angus breeders pulling out. I just don't have a bull that will do well enough to make me a profit in the test sale. Auburn must find a way to reduce cost to test or bring in buyers that will pay what the bulls are worth.
Uniontown has always made me the most on my bulls.
The Tifton test over in Georgia sounds good to me though. Do you have a contact person or number that you can pass on to me? Do you know what it cost to test a bull in Tifton? What was the average sale price?

User avatar
Mike
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 28459
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Montgomery, Al

Postby Mike » Sat May 14, 2005 4:12 pm

Alabama wrote:Sorry to hear about the Auburn test. I have heard talk of shuting it down for several years now. I have not heard anything about the Angus breeders pulling out. I just don't have a bull that will do well enough to make me a profit in the test sale. Auburn must find a way to reduce cost to test or bring in buyers that will pay what the bulls are worth.
Uniontown has always made me the most on my bulls.
The Tifton test over in Georgia sounds good to me though. Do you have a contact person or number that you can pass on to me? Do you know what it cost to test a bull in Tifton? What was the average sale price?


Johnny Rossi - Tifton, Georgia - 229-386-3407
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.


Return to “Ranch Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 26 guests