Ranchers.net Bull Session

First cutting hay tests

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
User avatar
jigs
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 8436
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: KANSAS

First cutting hay tests

Postby jigs » Sat May 14, 2005 10:34 pm

just got the results back on some of our first cutting alfalfa. RFV ranging from 257 up to 278. Guess that late frost was not such a bad thing after all.

Already have it spoke for and 3 loads go out Monday for Pennsylvania, and one to Wisconsin.

And those results showed up on Friday the 13th, so there goes that superstition1!!

User avatar
Mike
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 28459
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Montgomery, Al

Re: First cutting hay tests

Postby Mike » Sun May 15, 2005 5:10 am

jigs wrote:just got the results back on some of our first cutting alfalfa. RFV ranging from 257 up to 278. Guess that late frost was not such a bad thing after all.

Already have it spoke for and 3 loads go out Monday for Pennsylvania, and one to Wisconsin.

And those results showed up on Friday the 13th, so there goes that superstition1!!


Hey jigs, do you handle the shipping or does the customer. What's the price? Those loads you sold are going to dairies no doubt. Sounds like good stuff!

Are they large squares?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

User avatar
alabama
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Alabama

Postby alabama » Mon May 16, 2005 1:18 pm

they sent the wrong part for my cutter on Friday. The correct one should be in this evening. If I get iot on I plan to start cutting late this evening and finish in the morning. If the rain holds off I can get it up thursday or Friday. It should need 3 full hot days of sunshine to dry.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 8800
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: Texas

Postby HAY MAKER » Mon May 16, 2005 6:27 pm

Alabama wrote:they sent the wrong part for my cutter on Friday. The correct one should be in this evening. If I get iot on I plan to start cutting late this evening and finish in the morning. If the rain holds off I can get it up thursday or Friday. It should need 3 full hot days of sunshine to dry.



WHAT kinda cutter you got Alabama..........good luck

User avatar
alabama
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Alabama

Postby alabama » Tue May 17, 2005 10:29 am

I tried to get away with a cheap cutter from Agra Supply. It is a "Morra" and I wish I had spent another 1/3 the price and bought a Kune or a Vicon.
Dang anthills weakened the class 2-hitch pin so it broke and when the mower pivoted back, it wrenched the U joint out of the yoke.
It is hard to cut with too.

User avatar
jigs
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 8436
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: First cutting hay tests

Postby jigs » Wed May 18, 2005 6:25 am

Mike wrote:
jigs wrote:just got the results back on some of our first cutting alfalfa. RFV ranging from 257 up to 278. Guess that late frost was not such a bad thing after all.

Already have it spoke for and 3 loads go out Monday for Pennsylvania, and one to Wisconsin.

And those results showed up on Friday the 13th, so there goes that superstition1!!


Hey jigs, do you handle the shipping or does the customer. What's the price? Those loads you sold are going to dairies no doubt. Sounds like good stuff!

Are they large squares?



3x4 squares, and the hay is all sold freight on board. for the most part we have a buddy who brokers the dairy hay, we sell locally and know alot of truckers who like to back haul hay then sell it when they get home.

averaging $115 / ton and the bales were weighing 1750 lbs!
looks dumb sending a semi out of the yard only 2/3 full....


Return to “Ranch Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Denny, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests