Ranchers.net Bull Session

Burns my ****

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Burns my ****

Postby HAY MAKER » Mon May 16, 2005 7:33 pm

Damn deer on these hay fields burn my ***we got these white tail & axis and in the evenings you cant count them all,I will be lucky to cut one bale of these fields,and same thing across the road.white tail arent as bad as the axis ,damn things graze like a steer.............good luck

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Mon May 16, 2005 8:48 pm

I would buy some bullets and gut shoot them all...

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:37 pm

don't know if you know this or not Haymaker....but here in texas it dont matter if it's deer season or not..if they are makin a nuisance of themselves it's legal to shoot....if it has to do with how ya make yer livin..or even eatin your garden....BOOM!!!!

(Deer....it's what's fer dinner)
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

cowsense
Rancher
Rancher

Postby cowsense » Mon May 16, 2005 9:45 pm

Didn't think they could do much damage, the Texas deer I've seen pictured are about the size of our jackrabbits! YOu've gotta come north to see the big ones :wink:

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Mon May 16, 2005 10:31 pm

the_jersey_lilly_2000 wrote:don't know if you know this or not Haymaker....but here in texas it dont matter if it's deer season or not..if they are makin a nuisance of themselves it's legal to shoot....if it has to do with how ya make yer livin..or even eatin your garden....BOOM!!!!

(Deer....it's what's fer dinner)

Damn! I wish it was like that here! Deer sure are a nuisance around here, but we can't do nothing about it out of season.

3words

Postby 3words » Mon May 16, 2005 11:30 pm

I wish we could do that here also!We have so many acreages in the community,and they all have there land posted no hunting.That the deer population,has gotten totally out of control.It's so bad now,that you see deer wandering around in the middle of the day.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue May 17, 2005 12:20 am

We have tons of deer. They don't even show up on the radar screen as being a nuisance compared to elk. Try having 150 head of THEM graze through your favorite quarter section and see what's left. I'll take the deer any day.

Casa Paloma

Postby Casa Paloma » Tue May 17, 2005 4:51 am

Don't know if it would do any good, but the sheep herders around our property in Arizona had some kind of pot rigged up where water dripped into a bucket of some kind of chemical and set off a loud boom about every 15 minutes. Can't think of what they are called, but can be bought at the stores. It kept the coyotes and retirees jumpy and off the sheep. I figure that if it doesn't work for the deer, at least it will make them less jumpy when they are in season and maybe I can get a second shot since I usually miss on the first shot anyway. I'll figure out what they are called and let you know. Sheep folks said they weren't that expensive and well worth the effort.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue May 17, 2005 8:38 am

A neighbouring ranch used the "bangers" for a while, for the elk problem. Said they worked good for the first while, but then they got imune to them. Now people are using Llammas (sp?). Elk and deer won't come into a feed pile with them around, and I've never actually seen deer or elk in the same field as the Llammas now that I think about it.

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Tue May 17, 2005 10:11 am

You could always try lion dung. Contract with a zoo to dispose of the lion dung and put it on your field. I think a little goes a long way.
I have had the game warden write me a permit to shoot deer at night and or out of season to prevent crop damage. However the only thing is that you have to leave the deer where they fall. And how wants rotting deer all over the pasture or hay field.
I wonder if Monsanto can come up with a spray that will kill deer but won’t harm people or cattle. I bet the car insurance people would be all for it too.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Tue May 17, 2005 11:24 am

Hmmmm, I thought the GF&P was suposed to be "managing" the deer. Maybe they "manage" them different then the landholder want! :mad:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Jake

Postby Jake » Tue May 17, 2005 7:43 pm

Jinglebob wrote:Hmmmm, I thought the GF&P was suposed to be "managing" the deer. Maybe they "manage" them different then the landholder want! :mad:

Thay just manage them by turning out Cougars and bears....

Return to “Ranch Talk”