Ranchers.net Bull Session

Burns my ****

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Tue May 17, 2005 9:00 pm

Sure, then they can sell licenses for cougar and bear hunts! :lol:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

jigs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jigs » Wed May 18, 2005 6:33 am

sell hunts to people to thin down the deer... that way you get rid of them plus make a few bucks

I have heard that used kitty litter will repel deer, we throw it around deer stands of the guys we don't like.......

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed May 18, 2005 8:05 am

jigs wrote:sell hunts to people to thin down the deer... that way you get rid of them plus make a few bucks

I have heard that used kitty litter will repel deer, we throw it around deer stands of the guys we don't like.......

I got some hunters,every one of em wants to kill the BULL OF THE WOODS its these doe that are the problem.I might hafta get after these boys about doe shooting ..............good luck

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Wed May 18, 2005 8:13 am

In Alabama the bag limit is 2 a day. I think the law should be changed to 2 a day and one must be a doe. That would force people to shoot a doe before they shoot a buck. I had 15 or 20 dows grazing in the hay fiels this morning. Not only do the eat all the sweet grass but they carry Bluetoung.

Jake

Postby Jake » Thu May 19, 2005 3:56 pm

Jinglebob wrote:Sure, then they can sell licenses for cougar and bear hunts! :lol:

naw, then they just tell ya your seeing things and don't know what your talkin about.... then fine you for shooting an animal that supposedly isn't there....

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Sun May 22, 2005 10:40 am

cowsense wrote:Didn't think they could do much damage, the Texas deer I've seen pictured are about the size of our jackrabbits! YOu've gotta come north to see the big ones :wink:

You can keep your big ones, and have all these jack rabbit sized ones too,bet it wont take you long to sing a differnt tune when you see how thick the SOB's can get..............good luck

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun May 22, 2005 11:42 pm

HAY MAKER wrote:
cowsense wrote:Didn't think they could do much damage, the Texas deer I've seen pictured are about the size of our jackrabbits! YOu've gotta come north to see the big ones :wink:

You can keep your big ones, and have all these jack rabbit sized ones too,bet it wont take you long to sing a differnt tune when you see how thick the SOB's can get..............good luck

How thick do they actually get there Haymaker? I mean, what sort of numbers would you see on a quarter at any given time? I'm just curious, I've heard lots of versions of lots. I think we have lot's, but maybe I'm wrong. For example, when I drive to town (about 40 miles) I will probably see 40 to 50 just in the ditches. Some days I see a lot more, and that's not counting the fields and hillsides. Any given field may have 20 to 50 head grazing at times. How does that compare with what you've got?

cowsense
Rancher
Rancher

Postby cowsense » Mon May 23, 2005 7:27 am

The best description I've heard of deer is that they're like rats with antlers, the only other wild animal that can seem to adapt to living close to people is the coyote. We seem to be getting overrun with both!!

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Mon May 23, 2005 7:37 am

cowsense wrote:The best description I've heard of deer is that they're like rats with antlers, the only other wild animal that can seem to adapt to living close to people is the coyote. We seem to be getting overrun with both!!

POPULATION GROWTH POTENTIAL

Deer have the ability to reproduce and expand their numbers at an almost exponential rate. A classic example of deer herd growth potential is documented at the George Reserve in southern Michigan.This area is a 1,200-acre tract enclosed by an eleven-foot deer-proof fence. In 1928, six deer (2 bucks and 4 does) were released inside the area. Six years later, a drive count yielded a minimum population of 160 deer (Hickie 1937). The growth of the George Reserve herd reflects a mathematical model known as the logistical equation (Caughley 1977).

This model is characterized by an S-shaped curve reflecting how factors such as reproductive success and mortality affect a population. During the early stages of population growth, deer numbers are low and quality forage is abundant. Consequently, mortality is low and reproductive output is high. As the population increases, so does competition for quality forage and other habitat components. This increased competition leads to lower reproductive output and fawn survival. The fawn recruitment rate eventually reaches a point where it equals the mortality rate and the population stops growing. Physical condition of the herd is usually poor and disease problems may be chronic. A deer herd at this point has reached absolute carrying capacity or CC K.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Fri May 27, 2005 7:46 am

Silver wrote:
HAY MAKER wrote:

How thick do they actually get there Haymaker? I mean, what sort of numbers would you see on a quarter at any given time? I'm just curious, I've heard lots of versions of lots. I think we have lot's, but maybe I'm wrong. For example, when I drive to town (about 40 miles) I will probably see 40 to 50 just in the ditches. Some days I see a lot more, and that's not counting the fields and hillsides. Any given field may have 20 to 50 head grazing at times. How does that compare with what you've got?

Sounds like you got em thick too Silver,I dont know what the numbers are on these fields, its plenty.The TX fish& game commission claims one deer to five acres in Kendall county but these fields concentrate them.I was down at the local feed mill a while back complaining about all the deer on my fields and one of the ladies that own/work there is kin to the old man that I bought this place from years ago and she told me there have always been to many deer in the bottoms on this place,and she went in the back room and found an old news paper that had an article about deer density on my place ,I swear there were so many deer on the fields you couldnt see the crop................good luck

DOC HARRIS

Re: Burns my ****

Postby DOC HARRIS » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:50 pm

HAY MAKER wrote:Damn deer on these hay fields burn my ***we got these white tail & axis and in the evenings you cant count them all,I will be lucky to cut one bale of these fields,and same thing across the road.white tail arent as bad as the axis ,damn things graze like a steer.............good luck
:!: :!: Hey, Hay Maker - You could become a Venison Salesman - pre-cooked and packaged and call them "Bambi Bales"! With my brains and your Money - we could make a new business venture into a fortune! :???: :shock:

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Burns my ****

Postby HAY MAKER » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:23 pm

DOC HARRIS wrote:
HAY MAKER wrote:Damn deer on these hay fields burn my ***we got these white tail & axis and in the evenings you cant count them all,I will be lucky to cut one bale of these fields,and same thing across the road.white tail arent as bad as the axis ,damn things graze like a steer.............good luck
:!: :!: Hey, Hay Maker - You could become a Venison Salesman - pre-cooked and packaged and call them "Bambi Bales"! With my brains and your Money - we could make a new business venture into a fortune! :???: :shock:

Well I hope you have enough brains to make up for my lack of money,I could'nt buy a low cut dress for a humming bird.And if we tried to sale white tail that big ole game warden around here will have us under the jail,axis we could and there are damn sure plentiful enough...........good luck DOC.

Return to “Ranch Talk”