Ranchers.net Bull Session

Burns my ****

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
frenchie

Postby frenchie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:29 am

Silver wrote:A neighbouring ranch used the "bangers" for a while, for the elk problem. Said they worked good for the first while, but then they got imune to them. Now people are using Llammas (sp?). Elk and deer won't come into a feed pile with them around, and I've never actually seen deer or elk in the same field as the Llammas now that I think about it.

Silver... We sometimes use blood meal ..it works good.

One side effect it attracts bears.

TXTibbs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TXTibbs » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:33 pm

The Texas deer sure are smaller than the northern deer i'm used to. I guided hunters in Menard county and the does would weigh around 60lbs and the bucks might go 100!!! Thats crazy where up home the does would weigh over 100 in most cases and thats white-tail I'm talking about...the mule deer are usually heavier. As far as infestation of them up home they would usually just get kinda thick and then a bad winter comes and kills them all....same for the antelope. Or they get hemorragic (sp?) or some disease and die off. Where I was at before in Texas on the western edge of the hill country there were a lot of white-tail and a few axis, but besides a few motorists i never heard anyone complain. People make more money on the deer down here by selling hunts then they do on their livestock!!!! Thats a difference between Texas and up north, well in South Dakota anyway. Down here anyone with a brain and even some of those without can walk up and buy a deer license...in South Dakota its a lottery system and you have to apply. If you can make $2000 on a single Buck hunt/person, your not going to complain to much if he eats his share of hay. The does do add up quickly tho. Where I'm at now in Texas i have yet to see a deer since i've been here. I've seen a few antelope but no deer.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:59 am

What about some good sized territorial dogs left out at night that like to chase deer?

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:17 am

nr wrote:What about some good sized territorial dogs left out at night that like to chase deer?

These ole pot lickers that I have are to fat to chase any thing,come home the other day and was half a dozen does in the yard laying around ,dogs asleep on the front porch.But after my sudan gets up the deer dont use it as bad as when its spriggin,and like one of the posters said I believe it was TX Tibbs,I get $$$ out of these hunters ,so I guess it equals out.Hunters are coming this week end IM gonna make it clear they are gonna shoot some does..............good luck
Last edited by HAY MAKER on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:29 am

Haymaker, put those ol fat pot-licker doggies on Southbeach Diet and exercise. Maybe don't feed and they'll hanker for fresh venison.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:18 am

we have a "slight" deer problem here, too, but luckily they stick to the more native grass near the river bottom---away from the hay fields! Our "problem children" in the hayfields are the darned antelope!! a few hundred of them on a good day and a few hundred on a bad day...makes the drive up the lane to the house treacherous at best when they decide they are no longer afraid of a vehicle and go running right on out there!!!

Doc Harris---i think you are onto something!! gotta figure out a way to get it "licensed and legal"....my hubby and i get a kick outta looking at those expensive outdoorsy-type magazines that sell clothes, hunting and camping supplies and (yep, you guessed it) VENISON!! they make a fortune off the stuff....city folk seem to think it is some sort of rare delicacy!! :shock: they need to be in our shoes for awhile! :wink:
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Jeannie

Postby Jeannie » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:57 pm

Jake wrote:
Jinglebob wrote:Sure, then they can sell licenses for cougar and bear hunts! :lol:

naw, then they just tell ya your seeing things and don't know what your talkin about.... then fine you for shooting an animal that supposedly isn't there....

That would be funny if it wasn't so true! :???:

Return to “Ranch Talk”