Ranchers.net Bull Session

Haymaker you got fire ants?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Haymaker you got fire ants?

Postby Mike » Mon May 16, 2005 8:09 pm

Just wondering if you got these dang fire ants out your way. First cutting of hay in some of this gumbo soil is pure hell. It gums up under the cutter bar and drags over the grass - when the soil is still damp.

Wish I could find a few tons of Chlordane or DDT.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Mon May 16, 2005 8:22 pm

Yeah I got fire ants by the millions,that and those damn red wasps,I swear those SOB s can see me coming and they stiffen up with their ass in the air and you better light out,cause here they come.casa paloma had posted that you could get some bounce, that the girls put in clothes dryers. And that would deter yellow jackets,so I thought I would try it on those red devils ,bad mistake,same as last year bit me up good,cept this time I didnt trip over my ole fat cow dog like I did last year damn things bit me and my dog and big dummie had the brass to accuse me of being drunk..........good luck

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:44 pm

Fireants......................lovely critters aint they.....when they aint out to git ya...they find their way into yer house for some lil tid bit the dog missed pickin up.....them thang'sll crawl for miles for food !!!!
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

Casa Paloma

Postby Casa Paloma » Tue May 17, 2005 4:33 am

Sorry about the wasps Haymaker. The note I got was that Bounce worked to repel them....guess that theory was disproved. I know that they can outrun a John Deere - but I didn't have my Bounce with me at the time. Maybe that Bounce will work to repel fire ants. I wonder how many sheets it would take to cover an ant hill. Maybe I'll test that theory out and see what happens.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Tue May 17, 2005 5:23 am

Casa Paloma wrote:Sorry about the wasps Haymaker. The note I got was that Bounce worked to repel them....guess that theory was disproved. I know that they can outrun a John Deere - but I didn't have my Bounce with me at the time. Maybe that Bounce will work to repel fire ants. I wonder how many sheets it would take to cover an ant hill. Maybe I'll test that theory out and see what happens.

It might work on fire ants & yellow jackets.I just thought I would try it on these red wasps,made me a kerchief out of about half a dozen and wrapped it roun my neck.When those damn things seen me, NOOOO HESITATION my damn ears still hurt...........good luck

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Tue May 17, 2005 10:23 am

They have been releasing a wasp in Alabama that will attack the fire ants. It is called the “decapitating wasp.” Alabama has a website about fire ants control. If I can find it, again I will attach a link.

Lots of good info here: http://www.aces.edu/dept/fireants/

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue May 17, 2005 10:37 am

Alabama wrote:They have been releasing a wasp in Alabama that will attack the fire ants. It is called the “decapitating wasp.” Alabama has a website about fire ants control. If I can find it, again I will attach a link.

Lots of good info here: http://www.aces.edu/dept/fireants/

Oh great! Next we'll be consumed with wasps. Kinda like what happened in Florida with the "Lovebugs". They put them out to eat moquitos, then first thing you know they took over. Then they came up with the bright idea of bringing in some kind of bird to eat the "Lovebugs".

Somehow the public got wind of it and put their foot down and said: "enough is enough".
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

agman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby agman » Tue May 17, 2005 11:20 am

HAY MAKER wrote:Yeah I got fire ants by the millions,that and those damn red wasps,I swear those SOB s can see me coming and they stiffen up with their ass in the air and you better light out,cause here they come.casa paloma had posted that you could get some bounce, that the girls put in clothes dryers. And that would deter yellow jackets,so I thought I would try it on those red devils ,bad mistake,same as last year bit me up good,cept this time I didnt trip over my ole fat cow dog like I did last year damn things bit me and my dog and big dummie had the brass to accuse me of being drunk..........good luck

Are you bragging or complaining? I heard that Honey on your hat will keep the bees away. Give it a try-let me know the results!!!
Everyday is a great day, some are just better than others.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Tue May 17, 2005 11:21 am

[quote="Mike"][quote="Alabama"]They have been releasing a wasp in Alabama that will attack the fire ants. It is called the “decapitating wasp.” Alabama has a website about fire ants control. If I can find it, again I will attach a link.

Lots of good info here: http://www.aces.edu/dept/fireants/[/quote]

Oh great! Next we'll be consumed with wasps. Kinda like what happened in Florida with the "Lovebugs". They put them out to eat moquitos, then first thing you know they took over. Then they came up with the bright idea of bringing in some kind of bird to eat the "Lovebugs".

Somehow the public got wind of it and put their foot down and said: "enough is enough".[/quote]

Reminds me of the old song/poem "there was an old woman who swollowed the fly" :lol:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Tue May 17, 2005 8:01 pm

agman wrote:
HAY MAKER wrote:Yeah I got fire ants by the millions,that and those damn red wasps,I swear those SOB s can see me coming and they stiffen up with their ass in the air and you better light out,cause here they come.casa paloma had posted that you could get some bounce, that the girls put in clothes dryers. And that would deter yellow jackets,so I thought I would try it on those red devils ,bad mistake,same as last year bit me up good,cept this time I didnt trip over my ole fat cow dog like I did last year damn things bit me and my dog and big dummie had the brass to accuse me of being drunk..........good luck

Are you bragging or complaining? I heard that Honey on your hat will keep the bees away. Give it a try-let me know the results!!!

Only Honey IM gonna put on my hat ,will have big blue eyes,105lbs
blonde hair ,bout 5ft.tall..............good luck

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Tue May 17, 2005 8:59 pm

One day mowing hay quite a few years ago, the gnats were swarming around making it almost impossible to sit on a tractor. The fellow working with me on the project suggested that we soak some old rags in diesel and hoist the rags high in the sky on a stick attached to the tractor. For some reason the gnats swarmed around the diesel-covered rag instead of our faces. It stunk, but offered a bit of relief to our problem.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue May 17, 2005 10:55 pm

I have heard that even just a white rag tied up high will help.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Return to “Ranch Talk”