Ranchers.net Bull Session

Haymaker you got fire ants?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Radar

Postby Radar » Wed May 18, 2005 6:59 am

I spent basic training in Ft. Benning, GA. A guy learned to check the ground before pitching a tent. Ants may come, but it didn't make much sense of pitching a tent on a nest.

On the subject of wasps, we were doing some training out in the woods when this one fellow from SC (this guy was true hillbilly, he once told me he dated his cousin) somehow got a wasp nest caught between his leg and his gas mask case. He was running around, doing gyrations, and flailing his arms in the air. Naturally, our drill sargeants were less than impressed and proceded to verbally reprimand this individual. To which this hillbilly responded "I got bees on me drill sargeant!"

He eventually was able to rid himself of the nest, but by that time the whole platoon was rolling with laughter.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Wed May 18, 2005 7:12 am

Radar wrote:I spent basic training in Ft. Benning, GA. A guy learned to check the ground before pitching a tent. Ants may come, but it didn't make much sense of pitching a tent on a nest.

On the subject of wasps, we were doing some training out in the woods when this one fellow from SC (this guy was true hillbilly, he once told me he dated his cousin) somehow got a wasp nest caught between his leg and his gas mask case. He was running around, doing gyrations, and flailing his arms in the air. Naturally, our drill sargeants were less than impressed and proceded to verbally reprimand this individual. To which this hillbilly responded "I got bees on me drill sargeant!"

He eventually was able to rid himself of the nest, but by that time the whole platoon was rolling with laughter.

Your post brings up images of Gomer Pyle-

"GOLLLEEEEEEEEEE - SARGENT CARTER!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Cowpuncher

Postby Cowpuncher » Wed May 18, 2005 7:51 am

Some years ago, we got hold of some Orthene which was to be used for grasshoppers. Found that a spoonful of the powder on an ant hill will wipe them out. I use a gallon jug with a perforated lid. Don't buy this from a retail store, it costs. Agricultural chemical dealers and get it for you.

I doubt that a person could clear a very large area of fireants, but you sure can keep them away from your house. Plus it give you a sense of satisfaction to see the little SOB's laying there dead.

My son, who is in the mnilitary, had a problem with fireants in Georgia. Orthene kept them away from pets and people.

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Wed May 18, 2005 8:16 am

Andros will knock them back but it takes a while. Andros is now packaged in a 50 pound bad designed to be brodcast in hay fields and pasture. I saw some at the coop op the other day. It will run about $10 to $15 an acre.

Return to “Ranch Talk”