Ranchers.net Bull Session

Another day in the saddle

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:52 am

Good to hear from you, Brad. Where have you been hiding?

You are right about "Ya gotta work hard to make it and just as hard to keep it." That is one reason we sold these pairs in the spring instead of splitting them and selling the cows and calves separately in the fall. It is more tax friendly to sell now, by paying only capital gains on the value of the cow vs. earned income and self-employment taxes on the value of the calf. The "taxable value" of the calf can be plugged in considerably lower in the spring.

Our objective is to cut down on cattle by a third, have less work, and not have to put cattle out in the summer-time on any land not owned or controlled by us. In other words, we probably won't be "replacing" the cattle that have been and will be sold.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:45 pm

I should have guessed you'd already payed (paid) a visit to the accountant - good job.

I've been hiding out covered up with work and family stuff. With my herd of kids I should almost always be reading a book or catching a ball. My Dad dumped a bunch of the farming on me this year, like farming is going to keep me in Kansas - If I had my way there'd be a bounty out on green tractors, and an 11th commandment about not tractor driving. I keep reminding myself that corn feeds steers and stalks feed cows. Its always wrong to curse a rain, but hard not to when ya get 15 inches on 2nd cuttiing alfalfa laying down.

Return to “Ranch Talk”