Ranchers.net Bull Session

Respond to Pour on Kills?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
cedardell

Respond to Pour on Kills?

Postby cedardell » Tue May 24, 2005 4:47 am

Am interested if there is an update on the pour on accident in Mike's neighborhood. I had an opportunity to visit with a top[ toxicologist yesterday. I asked him about ivermectin and cydectin. He didn't think they were particulary dangerous because they are used in humans as a dewormer and parasite control. Don't recommend taking without a doctors supervision, but thought I would pass that bit of info along. I would think it would take a huge dose to kill a human. I think it would be a good idea to keep a big water jug and some soap handy in case a cow slaps you in the face with a sarurated tail and wash immediatly. Also would be a good idea to wear those cheap plastic gloves you can get at Walmart for oil changes.

Kate/wy

new wormers

Postby Kate/wy » Tue May 24, 2005 5:16 am

yes...I know they have used the ivermecs on humans, maybe the last 20 yrs to prevent blindness, due to a fly infections. Good product. The offender hereabouts was warbex type not the new ones.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Tue May 24, 2005 8:17 am

I'd almost bet that the ivermectin products get used on humans in North America too. I did some farm visits for Pfizer and a couple places had hinted pretty strongly they'd used them when their kids had caught head lice at school. That's kind of off label if you ask me.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue May 24, 2005 12:27 pm

I found out later that the guy who died had serious heart problems, and numerous bloodclots throughout. Turned out the pour on had nothing to do with his death. He just so happened to be working calves a few days before his death and did get some ivermectin on him. Purely coincidental. Sorry I haven't updated you'all before now.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Tue May 24, 2005 12:58 pm

I've had a several folks from town call me to get a small amount of the injectible Ivomec for their dogs--Local vet prescribes giving a small dose orally (1-2 cc's?) for treatment of dogs with mange..... He says the pour on can kill a dog- but the injectible orally is OK.......

txag

Postby txag » Tue May 24, 2005 5:17 pm

Oldtimer wrote:I've had a several folks from town call me to get a small amount of the injectible Ivomec for their dogs--Local vet prescribes giving a small dose orally (1-2 cc's?) for treatment of dogs with mange..... He says the pour on can kill a dog- but the injectible orally is OK.......

dogs should be tested for heartworms before using ivomec.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Thu May 26, 2005 2:18 pm

Make sure to only use PLAIN ivomec, not ivomec plus, it will kill dogs also. The dosage is .01cc/100lb so 1/2 cc for a 50 lb dog. We use monthly on the birddogs (we train dogs professionally) once a month mainly for tick prevention. It gets everything but tapeworms.

Bward

Postby Bward » Thu May 26, 2005 2:45 pm

Huh? .01 cc per 100 pounds = .005 per 50 pounds.... not .5 which equals 1/2 cc.

The math does not add up here.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Fri May 27, 2005 10:23 am

Sorry, worded that wrong :oops: .01/lb so .01x50=.5. Does that sound better? :wink:

Ray

Postby Ray » Mon May 30, 2005 7:10 pm

try 1 cc diluted to 1000cc's (add 999cc,s of water proplene glycol) then give 0.1 cc per 10lbs if your dog does not have white feet or tip of tail ( any collie border or mix). For heart worms only .I treat a way to many ranch dogs for ivermectin toxicity. And am getting tired of trying to be diplomatic to the rancher bringing their dead dogs to me to see their last breath so they can tell mom the vet killed him.

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Tue May 31, 2005 11:42 am

Why not just use a product labled for dogs? If all else fales read the directions?

Return to “Ranch Talk”