Ranchers.net Bull Session

Gatling Gun

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Gatling Gun

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed May 25, 2005 10:24 pm

I was just over at the Cabelas site and they have a working 22lr replica of a gatling gun. Just what I need for the gophers. 300 - 400 rounds per minute. just need a team of minaturs to pull it around and I would be set. Of course I would have to quit posting here as I would be loading clips all night.

Did i mention it cost $12,500. oh well my old Lakefeild will have to do. :cry: :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Thu May 26, 2005 7:22 am

BMR
What kind of gophers are giving you problems and what do they do that is the problem.

In this country we have something that digs up the dirt in the hayfields and pastures. They are called, moles, pocket gophers and lots of nasty names. Everyone has different opinions on just what creature is doing it. They dig in pastures too, but that isn't much of a problem. They are one of the reasons I quit putting up hay.

I've been mowing and stopped to go to dinner and come back and they have already had mounds built up in, on and over the hay that I'd cut less than an hour before. I've seen a mole and the cats bring in a short tailed things that looks like a mouse, only bigger. We have striped gophers, but I can't see any harm in them.

My brother brought a hound cross of some sort one time and left him here when he left. He was only good for two things, getting mice and killing hand raised pheasents. Dad finally had enough of him and took the shotgun to the field one day. Funny, I never saw that dog again! :shock:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu May 26, 2005 12:48 pm

We are over run with Richardson Ground sqirrels

I can't tame wild women.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Thu May 26, 2005 1:03 pm

BMR
What do they do to harm you or yours?

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu May 26, 2005 2:34 pm

They eat grass and crops. Pile dirt and dig hole. Don't you have them in S.D.

They are like mini prairie dogs. They are furry tailed rats. Have i mentioned that I don't like them? :cowboy:

PS they attaract badgers that dig bigger holes and pile more dirt. Broke my heel in a badger hole once.

I can't tame wild women.

sw
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sw » Thu May 26, 2005 4:21 pm

Maybe we should go together and get us a couple of them guns, we are really being overloaded with those cute little RATS. Places where we poisoned and torched three years ago that were clean are now crawling with the little buggers and it seems that they all brought their relatives!!! Have one pasture that you better cross slow if on a horse cause now the badgers have brought in reinforcements and they mean business :mad:
I'll have to get wifey out there with the shovel again. About ten years ago she went with me to change a dam in an irrigation ditch. We were walking over to the dam and the dogs took off after a badger that was just starting to dig a hole. The dogs were going nuts and the badger put it in high gear with the diggers and got down in the ground about four feet and turned around to fight. Since I had a shovel in hand, I dug down from straight above the growls until I could see hair. With wifey standing there and the dogs still barking up a storm, I hit the badger on the head with the shovel. Told wifey to grab him out of the hole and go show him to the kids. She said no way am I going to stick my hand down that hole, that thing is just playing possum and he'll chew my hand off. I said here, hold the shovel and I'll get him. So I gave her the shovel and poked him with a stick. That had to be the fastest dead badger I've ever seen. Ran right past me, wifey, the dogs, and had about a fifty yard head start before the dogs knew what happened. At least he wasn't digging in the hay field anymore. And I still wonder, why doesn't she trust me?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE. FREEDOM IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY THE BRAVE SO THE FREE CAN BE FREE.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Thu May 26, 2005 8:19 pm

BMR
Thanks for the info. Sound like what we call moles. But we never see ours.

sw
Why would you kill a badger if he kills the pests? I sure wouldn't takle one barehanded. You must be a he-man kind'a guy!

Got a tree hugger/buffalo rancher who writes in the Rapid City Journal and he explained this winter that if ranchers would just quit overgrazing, we wouldn't have so many praire dogs as the grass would hide the predators who eat the praire dogs. Funny, my dad told as a kid that there was a dogtown 1 to 5 miles wide and about 35 miles long just to the west of us. Guess them old indians and cowboys must have kept it overgrazed all them years! :wink:

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri May 27, 2005 12:09 am

sw it didn't take a badger to make my wife not trust me. :wink: My son trapped a badger once and checked the trap before school but had me go take it out as he had to get on the bus . i shot the badger and when I felt it was dead I pulled it from the hole. Well I lost the pin from the trap so reached into the hole to find it but jerked my hand back when i heard snarling . I trapped three more young badgers out of the same hole.

I can't tame wild women.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Fri May 27, 2005 7:39 am

Jinglebob our gophers are exactly like prairie dogs except smaller here this might help a baseball player on steroids-prairie dog a baseball player not on steroids looks like a gopher. Badgers do kill pests for sure but the holes they dig are kind of tough on horses and the people who ride them-nothing gets the pucker factor going like riding through a nest of holes after a cow. I killed one once with a crowbar-the old heart was pumping that day. We have an old female has a litter in a little pasture by house every year-thats where our colts get raised if they survive in there for a year they know where to put their feet.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Fri May 27, 2005 6:14 pm

I think I get the picture now!

I like your idea about the colts.

I picked up a badger hole on my ol yeller horse at a dead run one time. Way worse than gettin' bucked off!

I learned a neat trick a week or so back at a branding. Old feller had some smooth hot wire up for bulls and it got knocked down and was laying in the grass. I thought I was past it, ridin' my colt, when he picked some up on his hind feet. Couldn't step over it so backed him up and stepped off and got him untangled. Looked like a good way to get him used to not fighting wire around his legs. I wondered if a feller left some around for colts to walk thru' so they would get used to stuff like that. 'Course I suppose they could get hurt. Maybe not to good of an idea after all!

Juan

Postby Juan » Fri May 27, 2005 6:30 pm

Jingleblab.......
short tailed thing like a mouse but larger....vole
gopher with stripes........thirteen lined ground squirrel
Juan

Juan

Postby Juan » Fri May 27, 2005 6:38 pm

I meant to add also,You said"what we call moles".It sounds like pocket gophers to me!
The Richardson Ground Squirrels are common in Eastern S.D.
Juan

Return to “Ranch Talk”