Ranchers.net Bull Session

Gatling Gun

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Fri May 27, 2005 6:53 pm

OK, so what's making the mounds in the hay fields(and everywhere else, but it don't matter in pastures)?

What's a pocket gopher look like?

Neighbor and I were riding back after branding today. He lives down along the Cheynne River. His hayfield are predominetly western wheat grass. He said that as the mole/gophers/voles moved into the field, wherever they left mounds, the alfalfa grew in the mounds. Must be one of God's little farmers! :lol:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Fri May 27, 2005 7:12 pm

we had moles out "east", and they burrow along just under the sod, but don't make burrows with dirt mounds. when i moved out here, my yellow muttly dog dug up half the yard going after striped gophers, and run them all out of here. the ones i see are about the size of a small rat, they're striped (duh..!), but they didn't leave earth-mounds. there is something that digs in the fields (of all kinds) and leaves mounds--i've often wondered what does that. seems like badgers really like steep roadsides for dens...

where's clarence? bet he could help out on this...

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Fri May 27, 2005 7:49 pm

what you guys are talking about are pocket gophers they are about the size of a beer can and just as round they have long curved claws on their front feet for digging and they leave dirt mounds all over.Theres a guy here who makes his living trapping pocket gophers he gets $5.00 per gopher and has a route he works all season long...They will dig in most areas here but the alfalfa and clovers are a big draw the better the forage the more gophers you'll have....

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Fri May 27, 2005 9:52 pm

denny
Do you have any idea where i could find a picture of one?
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.

website www.dennisranch.com

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 pm

JB,

Those "striped" gophers, are they chipmunks??? A number of years ago we had chipmunks all over the place, that year we had whole corn stored in a grain bin, guess what??? Chipmunks cached whole corn in the blower fan in the pickup, in the holes where the gates close, everywhere they could stash, they did. We didn't have a problem with them at all, thought they were very cute, until a kid decided to catch one. The lil bugger escaped and was running free in the house, just purchased a brand new sofa, I WAS MAD because the lil chipmunks are burrowers and guess what the escaped chipmunk did...burrowed in my brand new SOFA!

Anyway, we have Richardson's gophers, they make big mounds, like to sit on top of them and make their noise, you can find their hole. The "pocket gophers" are the lil buggers who have mounds on top of the ground, but you can't find a hole. I've learned how to trap them but they are just as you pointed out, JB, you quit haying because of them. Prairie Dogs and Richardson's gophers are about the same in my point of view. Pocket gophers (or moles) are a pain because you either have to blow 'em up or drown them out. Those "striped gophers" you talk about, I think, are chipmunks, and I have no problem with them. That one year we had a million of them, they were so cute running along the top of the pipe fences (there was pipe for them to run on).
Anyone else have something to say about striped gophers? I'm really curious.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri May 27, 2005 11:07 pm

HANTA, they really aren't the same. Striped gophers are bigger with a longer tail. We don't have chipmunks here, but we do have Striped Gophers. Striped gophers carry their tail out flat. This info from my husband who really pays attention to all the 'little critters of nature.'

We had chipmunks in W. Montana. They are cute. We had a dog that we called "Cat". She was part Catahoula and this dog was a real kick in the butt. She should have been owned by a rodeo clown. She was really talented and would do anything for a laugh. She used to climb up on the corral fence. If you were looking over it, she would climb up and look over it, too. I do have a photo of her doing that, but don't know how to get it on here~anyhow, this particular day, she was after a chipmunk. The chipmunk ran up the poles on the side of the loading chute. She went right after it. The chipmunk shot straight up the upright and stopped on the very top. The dog climbe up to the top rail, balanced there, and put her nose up, up, up to the edge of the upright. About that time the chipmunk looked over the edge. Their noses just about touched! The chipmunk shot in the air and the dog just about fell off therails. It was sooooooooo funny!! Of course, those scenes are left totally to memory, no camera catches them!!

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Fri May 27, 2005 11:26 pm

Faster Horses,

I sure pictured your dog and laughed out loud!!! Thanks for the info on the gophers, I guess we don't have the striped kind, but we sure have enough of 'em!! :mad: :mad: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :!:
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.

I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'

-Ronald Reagan

Juan

Postby Juan » Sat May 28, 2005 4:36 am

Denny.....That was a good post on Pocket Gophers.
Juan

Return to “Ranch Talk”