Ranchers.net Bull Session

Wood ticks

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Wood ticks

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:19 pm

It's still winter up here but we were working with a 2 year old filly that hurt her neck last year so ran her in the S alley to halter her and handle her a bit. As we were rubbing her we started to find little wood ticks, about 20. I Ivomec dewormed the others yesterday but couldn't get her done but will have to quick like. we usually find the ticks in the spring but were sure surprised to find them now. :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Tom S

Re: Wood ticks

Postby Tom S » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:26 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:It's still winter up here but we were working with a 2 year old filly that hurt her neck last year so ran her in the S alley to halter her and handle her a bit. As we were rubbing her we started to find little wood ticks, about 20. I Ivomec dewormed the others yesterday but couldn't get her done but will have to quick like. we usually find the ticks in the spring but were sure surprised to find them now. :cowboy:

BMR, do you think that some of these recent warm spells would have got the buggers going? Even here we had some bugs during the last warm spell a few days ago. Damn Japanese Beetles are all over in the house again.
"The Prohibitionists say that drinking beer is bad for you but the Bible says that Noah made wine and drank it and he only lived to be 950 years. Show me an abstainer who ever lived that long." Will Rogers

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:46 pm

It goes back to immune system. You will find more parasites on animals that don't have a good immune system--the young and the old--are more susceptible to ticks, lice, etc. unless they are getting very good care.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:06 pm

Tom S we have had some nice weather but i didn't think quite that nice.

Faster Horses, These horses have been getting hay daily and not to bad of condition but this one was younger and might have missed deworming last spring. We are going to check some others tomorrow to see it it was a fluke but then i was able to get the others dewormed.

:cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:40 pm

Not getting dewormed could sure play a big part in the immune system. Young animals on a whole just don't have the immune system older animals do. And of course, neither do the older animals. Parasites attack the weaker animals and carrying a worm load could sure make this horse more suspectible to parasites.

Parasites are worms, ticks, lice, fleas, etc. as I am sure you know. If you really look at your cattle, say in the summer, the ones that are not totally shed off are the ones that most likely will have the heaviest fly load. I didn't realize this until it was shown to me. The cattle that don't shed completely off seem to not have the immune system as one that has shed totally. It is very interesting what you find when you are taught to really look.

We had a two-year old in 1994 who was in good shape but was carrying quite a fly load compared to the rest of the cows. The Vigortone area manager was here and he and I were going through the cows. He asked what was wrong with her. "Nothing", I said. He said, "sure there is, look at her hair coat." She hadn't really slicked off, but she was fat. "I said look at her body condition." He came back with, "look at her hair coat." So when we got to the house I looked her up. She had had twins at calving time. I told him this and he said she got hurt a bit when calving. That fall she was open.

It is just things like this I have learned to pay attention to. I enjoy looking at cattle but know I will never get as good as he on observing cattle. He quizes me all the time and I am better at it, but still miss some things. It is fun to learn what the cattle tell me by how they look and act. I always paid attention to the horses and I like cattle a lot. Just didn't know to look for certain tell-tale signs.

koj

wood ticks

Postby koj » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:04 pm

In late November I pulled over 200 wood ticks off my 2 year old mare. She got pretty ouchy after about ten, but then she decided I was just helping. They were mostly on her rump and lower chest. I hope we don't run into that again.

Those Chinese Beetles really suck. We get them in the house by the hundreds. Especially when it gets nice. It seems they just come out of hiding, then die. I hate Iowa.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted......."

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: wood ticks

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:41 pm

koj wrote: I hate Iowa.

As Faster Horses would say BOBL Big old belly laugh! :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:57 pm

koj wrote:In late November I pulled over 200 wood ticks off my 2 year old mare. She got pretty ouchy after about ten, but then she decided I was just helping. They were mostly on her rump and lower chest. I hope we don't run into that again.

Those Chinese Beetles really suck. We get them in the house by the hundreds. Especially when it gets nice. It seems they just come out of hiding, then die. I hate Iowa.

What do these beetles look like? We have bugs up here that are called Maple bugs or Box Elder bugs, and they swarm into my house in the fall when it gets cold. Some years worse than others, two years ago my husband threatened to have me committed because I was starting to lose it because of how many there were!

Tom S

Postby Tom S » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:51 pm

Shelly, here's a link about those buggers we have here. There's two or three crawling on my desk at all times. It never stops!!!!

http://www.epestsupply.com/asian_beetles.html?source+google
"The Prohibitionists say that drinking beer is bad for you but the Bible says that Noah made wine and drank it and he only lived to be 950 years. Show me an abstainer who ever lived that long." Will Rogers

Liberty Belle
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Liberty Belle » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:14 pm

So that's what those pesky little lady bug look-alikes are! Thanks for the info. They're new around here and from now on I'll squash everyone I see.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:14 pm

What do these beetles look like? We have bugs up here that are called Maple bugs or Box Elder bugs, and they swarm into my house in the fall when it gets cold. Some years worse than others, two years ago my husband threatened to have me committed because I was starting to lose it because of how many there were![/quotet.

Shelly mix dish soap and water in a windex bottle and spray those boxelder bugs that will do them in...

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Tried that, it didn't even faze them! Last fall wasn't too bad, maybe because it was a cooler wetter summer. But that one year, oh my God! They were in here by the hundreds!

Return to “Ranch Talk”