Ranchers.net Bull Session

Wood ticks

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:19 am

use a barn bomb spray that will kill them for sure.

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:32 am

With this drought, the ticks seem to come earlier and earlier. We also have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi who is such a "low rider" that he picks up all the ticks in the county! Actually, when we see ticks on the horses we treat them with a pour-on; we choose to use something different every year as to not cause immunity. I hope I was helpful on some level....
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:39 am

I noticed last year, our dog in failing health had NO ticks. Usually we'd find dog or deer ticks on her. I was wondering if it was because she was in really frail health, losing weight and perhaps giving off some chemical that ticks lost interest in her. She was outside as much as she ever was so had ample opportunity to pick up ticks.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:18 am

The lot where I feed just went through and hit everything wih pour on, lice out early and lots of rubbing.

I hesitate to use pour on on my saddle horses as my understanding is it burns the skin. There's oral Ivomec and some other products. Was thinking dusts, but when it comes down to it, I really hate any dust horses can breath in
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:24 am

yes PPRM I was wondering what pour on was registered for horse as well. I use the hosre version of Ivomec squirted in the mouth just that this 2yrold hurt her neck and wasn't handled much and is real touchy about the head so am having trouble getting her dosed but and getting her settled with lots of rubbing and sweet talk. she may get her ivomec here in a couple of days. She is in quite good condition and I am surprised at the number of ticks she is carrying. :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:33 pm

In the US we have a good pour-on specificially for horses. It is called Pour-I-Don and you get it from the vet. Just pour it from the poll to the tail. It doesn't burn them at all.

That might not be the proper spelling, however. Might be Pour-ID-On.??

Works good, but we don't make a habit of using it. Once in the spring for the horses with ticks. Makes the ticks really turn loose.

Turkey Track Bar
Rancher
Rancher

fleas and tick repellant for dogs

Postby Turkey Track Bar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:40 am

Hi All:

We just made a trip to the vet this past weekend to get our pup, Holly, her final puppy shots. The vet recommended as soon as the tick season comes to treat her with Frontline. He said as far as he knows it is the only product currently on the market that keeps the ticks totally off dogs (and I imagine cats as there is a Frontline for felines too). Plus he has a poster in the exam room that said something about a rebate or coupon to use the stuff-didn't want to ask how much it is--I'm sure it's pricey! I hope Big Muddy keeps his ticks well north so we don't have to worry about our "lowrider" Corgi Holly for another couple of months!

Hope this helpful on the dog-front!

Cheers for a great day! Sounds like it'll be around 40 here today-perfect weather!

TTB

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:31 pm

This is always my tick time every year.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Ranch Talk”