Ranchers.net Bull Session

george

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Chuckie

george

Postby Chuckie » Sun May 29, 2005 9:31 pm

i'm a hoosier by birth, boilermaker by the grace of god. it's good to hear from the old home state! talked to a good friend from college today who works as Notre Dame--she kinda chewed my butt for not coming home this year on vaca. said the weather was really nice-what we had yesterday, but we're sending clouds, maybe some rain for y'all tomorrow.

where's knightstown--i don't remember... i'm thinking it's south of bloomington and a little west, but could VERY WELL be wrong...

George
Rancher
Rancher

Knightstown

Postby George » Mon May 30, 2005 2:16 pm

Knightstown is about half way between Indianapolis and the Ohio line right on I70 Nice area where I have a Gravel pit and run a few cows

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Mon May 30, 2005 6:59 pm

yeah-that is pretty country for indiana--are there even any fence-rows left out there now-a-days?? you should be almost (but not quite) where the hills start, at least on the west side of the state.

most of my family is still there--Bluffton, Carmel, W. Lafayette..i'm gonna have to tear myself away from these hills and go see them sometime...

it's good to hook up with someone from the old home state though. and thanks for the input on fences, too!! later...

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Tue May 31, 2005 6:01 am

When I came home from the Marines in 1971 every farm had a few cows - - now most of the fences are gone and only a few dihards like myself are keeping cows- - - the same with hogs - - only the large producers are in it any more. But I'm starting to see a few more cows since there is a little money to be made for a change. If you decide to come this way let me know and I'll be glad to show you my place. I'm working with Terrt Miller from Bluffton - - not any of your relation??

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Tue May 31, 2005 7:55 pm

never heard of terrt miller, but that don't mean much, i think there are millers all over the country! seems like there was a miller who was maybe a dentist (or an undertaker :) --yeah definitely an undertaker, i think....

anyway, i have a sister who's a pediatrician at the clinic in bluffton, so you may know her, or know somwone who does. i THINK she's ok at her job, at least she still seems to have a license :wink:

i'm being pressured to come back east next summer, but i'm thinking i'll reverse it and have the family come west to the great missouri river. but the pressure's pretty good, you never know!

i agree--in the 70's there were a few hogs, a few stock cows, etc. but they pulled all the fences since then, when i left in the early 90's, there was hardly even a wood lot left in the north 1/3 of the state. but it still looked better than illinios!

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:39 pm

I guess I need to proof read what I write - - - it is Terry Miller - - -fat fingers I guess. He has an internet business there ( Super Nova Communications). I took my wife and daughter and daughter's friend on a month long trip thru the west in June of 2002 and really opened the eyes of the two 12 year old girls - - they could not believe this country changes so much. It seems every area is beautiful in its own way.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:26 pm

it's an awful big country, and even a grownup needs an eye-opener once in a while. i think maybe 12 yrs is a REALLY good age for a cross country vaca: they remember better.
the funny thing was, to me, when i was last in indiana, 5 yrs ago, i got really claustrophobic from all the trees!!! it was extremely weird, because i sure never noticed them before. when i went back, it was like they're all over the place, draping over all the roads, everywhere. and that was in the northern third of the state!! don't know if i could stand brown county or points south. PLUS, i think the southeastern part of this country is some of the most beautiful there is...
what has happened to me11 :shock: !!!!!!!!!
i guess i'll be ok to visit :)
but there a a gazillion millers around there-and that's not counting the amish people. i talk too much, but it's good to hear from a felloe hoosier, esp on this forum. c ya

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:25 am

My daughter and I ( she is almost 16 now) love to take my Special edition Gold wing and just ride the winding tree lined roads of southern Indiana. Of the 3 hundred acres I own about 50 of it is pastured woods - - - I keep them thinned with a bull dozer and leave the good trees with sunny grass areas between. It is really beautiful looking at registered Charolais in that setting - - - I will breed to an Angus bull this year to try to break into the 4H calve market as the parents seem willing to pay any price for a "smoky" calf. It would probably break your heart watching me take trees out but an uncontroled area becomes nothing but a breeding ground for deer and coyotes.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:05 pm

it might break my heart--but then again, i might say you need to get them all gone! that claustrophobia was one of the weirdest experiences of my life. i couldn't believe it OR get used to ALL THOSE TREES!! i'm not sure i could live out there any more...difinitely been transplanted!

though it would be awful pretty to see...BTW, 4Hr's aren't the only ones who like those black-nosed Chars.. i know of a packer-buyer or 2 who won't pass 'em given a chance and that's a POWERFUL cross to retain ownership on and sell on a grid if you're interested in maximizing $$....

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:15 pm

It seems that life is in cycles, I started crossing the charlois and angus in the 60s ( had black cows then and got a charlois bull) and then in the late 80s you took a great discount on them - - but now they are back - - 500# smoky claves are bringing $3,000.00 for fair calves and the ones that are not good enough for 4H are still bringing a great price to the feeder market. I used to feed out about 500 per year but now at the prices I feel my time is better spent letting somone else do it.

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:16 pm

We have Gelbvieh/Angus cross mother cows, AI'd to either Angus or Gelbvieh depending upon the percentage of the cow, used
charolais as clean-up. The Gelbvieh still beat out the Charolais. We retain ownership on the cattle so have been getting data for the last 12 years we've been here. We sold all the Charolais bulls.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:31 pm

I am not familiar with the Gelbvieh breed but I will look into them - - - My current herd is registered Charlois - - I wonder how a cross of Gelbvieh bull to my girls would work????

Return to “Ranch Talk”