Ranchers.net Bull Session

What do you want your seedstock producer to do to help you?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:11 am

Mike, I am assuming that the LT bull in your pasture is Charolais. I was speaking of Angus when I mentioned 004.

Never-the-less, it is exciting that you have the sire to a bull purchased by ABS. Congratulations!! I think we talked about this bull earlier here on ranchers.net and there were many favorable comments about him. Can't remember his name, but I do remember liking the name of your bull. It was kind of a fancy Mexican name, if I remember correctly.

So what is it? That will bug me all day...

BRG
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRG » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:55 am

Faster Horses, If I'm not mistaken, I think that bulls name is LT Rio Blanco.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:11 pm

Soapweed I never let calving cure my wanderlust-March is for coaching hockey in this country lol. Actually where I am you have to calve either real early or real late the only thing worse than the Feb. cold is the mud we can get in March and April. Other than tagging calves once or twice a day we don't check our cows at calving. to characterize where we ranch we have some of the worst winters but probably the best summers in North America. Right now we have good moisture and a little over 20 hours of daylight-you can almost hear the grass grow. When my buddy from Lamarr, Colorado comes up fishing you better hitch a ride-I think he's got at ranch at Valentine,Neb. if I'm not mistaken. I really liked visiting the sandhills-one of my favorite places I've visited in the U'S.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:12 pm

Soapweed I never let calving cure my wanderlust-March is for coaching hockey in this country lol. Actually where I am you have to calve either real early or real late the only thing worse than the Feb. cold is the mud we can get in March and April. Other than tagging calves once or twice a day we don't check our cows at calving. to characterize where we ranch we have some of the worst winters but probably the best summers in North America. Right now we have good moisture and a little over 20 hours of daylight-you can almost hear the grass grow. When my buddy from Lamarr, Colorado comes up fishing you better hitch a ride-I think he's got at ranch at Valentine,Neb. if I'm not mistaken. I really liked visiting the sandhills-one of my favorite places I've visited in the U'S.

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:36 pm

"Right now we have good moisture and a little over 20 hours of daylight-you can almost hear the grass grow"

20 hours of daylight would kill me. that only leaves 4 hours for bedroom sports and sleep?

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:23 pm

Alabama wrote:"Right now we have good moisture and a little over 20 hours of daylight-you can almost hear the grass grow"

20 hours of daylight would kill me. that only leaves 4 hours for bedroom sports and sleep?

"Horizontal Recreation" can be acheived in daylight hours also, Bama! :wink:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:26 pm

Mike it is just too dang hot in the day time.

Andy

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:06 pm

PPRM"If you are getting that close, I'd say it is time to focus on Ribeye and marbling tratis, 900 lb choice 1 carcasses are always money makers"

I have been focusing on marbling and ribeyesize for years. The only problem we have now is that in a good year the cattle will grow so fast that they get to big before they are ready to grade. I am really trying to bring everything together now. I think we may have found a bull that will really help to bring everthing up. He is early matureing and has a big ribeye and good marbleing. The only down side is the oldest calves were born in march so we are 10 months away from getting carcass data.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:50 pm

Andy wrote:PPRM"If you are getting that close, I'd say it is time to focus on Ribeye and marbling tratis, 900 lb choice 1 carcasses are always money makers"

I have been focusing on marbling and ribeyesize for years. The only problem we have now is that in a good year the cattle will grow so fast that they get to big before they are ready to grade. I am really trying to bring everything together now. I think we may have found a bull that will really help to bring everthing up. He is early matureing and has a big ribeye and good marbleing. The only down side is the oldest calves were born in march so we are 10 months away from getting carcass data.

Andy. I have a friend with who I have discussed "scrotum size" as a determining factor in maturity on many occasions. He is in the Sim business and has had the same circumstances as you. He picked bulls with larger scrotums at an early age and it tweaked his calves quite a bit. In other words, a small scrotum bull as a yearling will be later maturing and vice versa. From what I can tell it's a sign that might help some with your problem (or non-problem). I'm sure there are studies on this.
Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row.
Mike
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:30 pm

I'll take the fifth on daylight recreation lol.

Return to “Ranch Talk”