Ranchers.net Bull Session

Dr. Bell's Veterinary Medical Wonder

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Aaron

Dr. Bell's Veterinary Medical Wonder

Postby Aaron » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:40 pm

Anybody know if there is somewhere you can still buy Dr. Bell's Veterinary Medical Wonder? Have a really old bottle of it that gets used every once in a while, and eventually going to need another bottle.

We just found one of our calves outside staggering around. He has been a problem since he was born in April. First he had a fever, which we gave him an aspirin for. Then, he went missing for about 3-4 days. Cow didn't know where he was and I couldn't find him. Finally almost tripped over him when we were rounding up cattle for vaccinations. He was hiding under a bunch of deadfall and had lost 60% of his hair, but was alive and had a little spring in his step. He is now about 85% bald. We found him tonight staggering around and lying down after walking about 10 feet. He would stretch out in agony every time he would lie down, as if to tell us to put him out of his misery. We figure it has to have something to do with his guts. Blockage or distrubance of some sort. We gave him a dose of electrolytes, a bit of penicillin in the hip and neck and a bit of Dr. Bell's. From our experience, either the Dr. Bell's will cure him or kill him, either way it will solve our problem. :roll:

DOC HARRIS

Re: Dr. Bell's Veterinary Medical Wonder

Postby DOC HARRIS » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:05 pm

Aaron wrote:Anybody know if there is somewhere you can still buy Dr. Bell's Veterinary Medical Wonder? Have a really old bottle of it that gets used every once in a while, and eventually going to need another bottle.

We just found one of our calves outside staggering around. He has been a problem since he was born in April. First he had a fever, which we gave him an aspirin for. Then, he went missing for about 3-4 days. Cow didn't know where he was and I couldn't find him. Finally almost tripped over him when we were rounding up cattle for vaccinations. He was hiding under a bunch of deadfall and had lost 60% of his hair, but was alive and had a little spring in his step. He is now about 85% bald. We found him tonight staggering around and lying down after walking about 10 feet. He would stretch out in agony every time he would lie down, as if to tell us to put him out of his misery. We figure it has to have something to do with his guts. Blockage or distrubance of some sort. We gave him a dose of electrolytes, a bit of penicillin in the hip and neck and a bit of Dr. Bell's. From our experience, either the Dr. Bell's will cure him or kill him, either way it will solve our problem. :roll:
Aaron-Of what does Dr. Bell's stuff consist?

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:10 am

The label on our bottle is worn out, so I can't say for sure. A person on Agri-ville.com said that he believed arsenic was in it, which could be very true as it claimed to work by affecting the nerves, tissues, muscles including the heart, in the animal....and could kill a person if they were to take it. Lots of vets say it is a crock of BS, but we (along with many other faithful followers of Dr. Bell's) always used it on animals for decades (typically calves) that were basically about an hour away from being dead anyways.....and somehow, a majority seemed to pull through. :D

A picture of the old box and bottle can be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 86173&rd=1

It is a super small bottle with an old rubber and glass eyedropper as the cap and process used of calculating and applying it to the tongue.

V_Key

Doc Bell's

Postby V_Key » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:50 pm

If memory serves me it was Codine - some heavy drug anyway - Iligal in the US I would go up to visit friends in Canada in the 60's - buy a case or 2 and put it in plane view in my camper - when I was asked if I had anything to declair I'd say No! - - in 10 trips I had one Border Guard say "You can't take that into the USA - - and took my case.

It was iligal as Hell around the Race Tracks - - The Vet's around here knew I had it and would tell people with horses that were "Down" to see if I could get their horse up

Many a "Downer" horse, cow, sheep would get up and walk off after a couple drops of Doc Bell's orally. :roll:

V¬'s Dad
Brand "V¬"
Public Relations Internship "Post Grad"@ San Jose State University
Founder - Time To Vote • org 501(C)(3) pending

Photo's
http://imageevent.com/v_key/

In My Pen
or
On My Fork
I Love
Lamb - Beef n Pork

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:00 pm

Aaron,IM curious about that calf,because I got a call from a neighbor that asked me basically the same question,its been a few years ago but I went to look at this calf and it was a black baldy calf that was born with about 75% of his hair missing.I had never heard of it before and talking to the owner and asking questions I found out the only thing that he had done that might have contributed to the calfs problem was that he said he didnt know the calves mama was that close to calving and he ivomeced her along with some others.I didnt keep up with him so I dont know if calf recovered or not.Its gonna be interesting to see how yours does,keep us posted...........good luck PS did you ivomec that calves mama recently ?
Last edited by HAY MAKER on Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:51 pm

He was pretty down and out when we treated him, but he is up and out of the calf shed and walking around. He wasn't born bald. I figure he must have got a real bad fever, and was on the brink of death when he lost all that hair...because he lost it over about a 4 day period. Haymaker, if you have a calf that is born bald, and it is coming from a black baldy, I would suspect it has contracted the hairless gene in the Herefords. If so, it's hair will grow back, but will be very short, and sometimes curly.

We never Ivomeced the cows last fall, so it has been at least a year and a 1/2 since they have gotten Ivomec. We thought about putting Ivomec on the calf, but he is such a light little bugger at about month old that we are scared it might kill him. Cow is fine though, not a patch of hair gone on her body...and the calf can mingle with other calves...and they haven't gotten it....so I suspect it had something to do with it running a fever.

Return to “Ranch Talk”