Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ticks and clouds

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Ticks and clouds

Postby Shelly » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Neither of the subject items has to do with one another. I just have a question about ticks, and I want to bad word about the clouds.

First, how long is tick season?
Second, I am so sick of cloudy, drizzly days! We haven't had sun since last Tuesday! Where's the sun???

Whew, feel better now!

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:35 am

Shelly, I'd trade you some sunny, clear and hot days for a few of those drizzly ones! We are the driest here in Mid-western Ontario in 30 years. We had 2/10ths of an inch on Sunday nite and it dissappeared into the dust. Our cows have kept the pasture short all spring, and it's only June.

So a few wet days would very welcome.

DJL

Postby DJL » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:10 am

MLA I'd sure like to send you some of the rain we're getting. We've had 5 inches since it started last Wednesday up to last night, and it rained heavily all night, too, so we got another couple of inches. :shock: It isn't as bad as '95 yet, but its working on it.
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:30 am

Where's the happy medium, eh?

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:03 am

We got another inch of rain last night. . A thunderstorm rolled in here and gave us a cloudburst. There were three tornados sighted, but I don't know of any damage from them. Guess we'll find out today.
As someone mentioned, "What the heck is gonna happen around here when it gets to 100 degrees?"
Kind of a scary thought.
I think more rain is on the way for tomorrow.
I'm not complaining, you understand. I LOVE RAIN!!! But gentle is better.

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:29 am

FH- We got the same thunderstorm-I looked on the radar and for some time it stretched all the way from Neb. up into Canada--thunder and lightning for 6 hours straight- but luckily had no hail and little wind- tornado watch, but haven't heard of any sightings here--Lost power at the north place for 13 hours... I ended up with just a little over an inch on the river place and 1.85 up north....In calling around this morning it sounds like many got 2+ inches and some as much as 4+....Some of the small creeks are flooding and over the roads....

And you're right- it looks like its going to circle back over us again--Weather boys have 100% chance for tonite and tommorrow...Bring her on!!

DJL

Postby DJL » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:42 am

We're up over 7 1/2 inches now, and its still pouring down. Quite a few roads are flooded over, and a lake has formed where two eight foot culverts can't take the creek flow under the highway. This could be interesting. I dread the thought of pulling all the wires out of the mess of tree branches and grass they're be buried under, to get all the creek crossings put back up. :( Its hard to believe there are some areas that are badly in need of moisture when we are awash.
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:06 pm

Geez, it's raining here again now!

DOC HARRIS

Postby DOC HARRIS » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:01 pm

Faster horses wrote:We got another inch of rain last night. . A thunderstorm rolled in here and gave us a cloudburst. There were three tornados sighted, but I don't know of any damage from them. Guess we'll find out today.
As someone mentioned, "What the heck is gonna happen around here when it gets to 100 degrees?"
Kind of a scary thought.
I think more rain is on the way for tomorrow.
I'm not complaining, you understand. I LOVE RAIN!!! But gentle is better.
When the sun comes out and the rain stops, the grass and Alfalfa will grow, the Corn Leaves will 'creak' at night, the Soybeans will pop - - -and - - - the WEEDS will g-r-o-w! What's one man's dream is another man's nightmare.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:55 pm

Well we finally got rain About 1.5 inches. Sure makes things look better, may be a crop of hay. I do feel for those being flooded as not much does more damage then a bad flood.. Just think of the grass that will grow. Lets hope for the best for everyone. Also remember this cool weather when we are complaining about the heat this summer.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Australian Cattleman

Postby Australian Cattleman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:56 am

We had a miserable 1/2 an inch and now its turned damn cold. Big frost here this morning down to minus 3. By the feel of it will be low again in the morning.
Been snowing in our alps at last 50 cms over the past day. More expected late weekend. It will probably be cold for our Open Day on farm next Monday.
Don't mind if we have a frost as long as its sunny and not much wind.
Our cattle are still holding up OK but won't be if it rains again.
Colin

DJL

Postby DJL » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:03 pm

After all the rain we've had this last couple of weeks (in this area it ranges from 12 to 22 inches), we had frost this morning, and they are forecasting more rain tomorrow. I spent a lovely day pulling the wires out of the mud, and pulling off the grass, mud and branches encasing them, and pounding the posts back in to get the creek crossing fences back up, now that the water is just slightly above gum boot level :lol:. I hope it doesn't rain so much that I have to do it all over again next week........

Return to “Ranch Talk”